R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #1351
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Thats the main reason why I didn't attend the race this year, and most likely wont until it is moved. Don't get me wrong. The race is a blast. Everyone does such a good job. And its so much fun. But the hotel is a joke. Our motel 6 in town is a nicer place. From our door being broke the first year, and the AC not working. To last year when most of the door frame was missing so you could push it open. The fridge being missing (but the rust spot was there) and the TV blowing up. Its stupid that a race like this has to be held in someplace like this. And there was problems last year with charges too. Brian was charged twice for the room. Took over a month for them to get it fixed. I remember Ernie telling me that he was hoping the race would be moved because it deserved better then that hole.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 AM   #1352
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Preisinger
In addition, I thought it was a great policy that we had to pay an extra $30 per night (aka 'special rate') because we were participating in the snowbirds race.

Thats correct, those who had rooms that were not associated with the race only paid $50 per night. I saw/heard during all of the time i spent trying to fix my bill at the front desk.

and btw, the $390 situation is still not taken care of..... They said I wouldnt be charged, but my credit card company says otherwise.
There is no excuse for being overcharged or incorrectly charged and I hope that everyone gets sorted out. At first I was a bit pissed that we paid more than others in the hotel, but if you think about it, with racers up nearly 24 hours for days straight with open doors, loud equipment, and basically taking over the place, I can't blame the management for giving a deal to non-racers who would probably be inconvenienced in some way by us.

That said, this was my first Snowbirds and I will be back again. Mike does a great job and it is unfortunate that something out of his control spoils the envent for some.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #1353
Suspended

Talking

For old times sake, have it at the Orlando Airport Marriott.....home of the 1987 ROAR 1/12 Nationals. It's still there. I bet Jim Fuller still has the phone number.

Rick would like it...he won 1/12 stock at that race, and another one of his drivers, Randy Hunter, won mod.

(I remember this race well since it was my first ever Nationals and first time ever racing on carpet.)

McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #1354
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Kris Preisinger]In addition, I thought it was a great policy that we had to pay an extra $30 per night (aka 'special rate') because we were participating in the snowbirds race.
QUOTE]

What KILLS me is for the Second year in a Row. I overpaid for the racers rate.. I understand that COMPLETELY.. BUT what irritates me to no end is.. I reserve a room for the race in freaking november.. both years... And when I get there they put me in a room Soooooooooo faaaaaaaarrrrrrr away from the track that I might as well stay somewhere else.. when I say far away I was on the second floor in the front of the building right by international drive.. Each year on the phone I was told I would be by the pool "thats the block we have set aside for the racers" .. every year when I arrive Im told.OOOPSS we dont have any of those left.. I love the race and will be back next year..But I think next year I will stay at a better hotel for less money..YET still probably be as close to the track as I am when I reserve a room 4 months in advance..

Ive been lucky in that Ive not had a bug problem..But I have experienced the mold/smelly room situation..
Sean Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #1355
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey I was in the room that caught on fire a couple years back in the front building. the burnt smell kept on having us check out our chargers and dischargers ever time the AC kicked on the first couple night. so we just left the door open and enjoyed the 70+ weather The tub was plugged the first day and they came and fixed that fine. We had the light in the bathroom area go on and off about every hour even after maintance changed the bulbs. but nothing beats the knights in that we went to for the halloween classic in cleveland in 2005. I still have flashbacks to taking a shower without a shower curtian and hovering over the can to take a dump and putting all our stuff infront of the door just to make sure the crack heads and gnarly hookers didn't break in. now that was a trip.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #1356
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
For old times sake, have it at the Orlando Airport Marriott.....home of the 1987 ROAR 1/12 Nationals. It's still there. I bet Jim Fuller still has the phone number.

Rick would like it...he won 1/12 stock at that race, and another one of his drivers, Randy Hunter, won mod.

(I remember this race well since it was my first ever Nationals and first time ever racing on carpet.)

That was a nice place and if it is still there, why not?

But I more fondly remember TQing modified because it was by about 5 seconds over Skip Starkey who was also running Peak at the time. And the next guys were another 2-3 seconds behind him. The track was unusually bumpy and skip and I had THE car for that track - the awesome Delta P12 Spyder developed by Art Carbonnel.

That was a funny time in the R/C motor industry. I had the TQ time after the first round and heard over the PA that I had been disqualified. After locating the tech officials, they said they had been informed by a competing motor manufacture (I will not name) that my motor was not legal, so they DQed me with nothing other than the say of a competitor. Of course the motor was legal and the time re-instated.

In that time, the competitors tried to bury you. Today, they help you.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #1357
Tech Adept

Pinta Hotel.,Roar Nats, 1990 something. Room facing the track 6 floors up.
Almost missed my first qual. SLOOOOOOOOOW Elevator. Tent setup outside for food. Chefs in full gear. Big white hats,servers in tux's $12.00 for a Burger.
Monsoon rain storm. I remember Joel Johnson running through the front door of the hotel and sliding across the floor still holding his radios he saved out of impound.

Used the phone to call home once. The next month got the bill it was $5,000.00 the next month after that it was $7,000.00 all long distance charges from places I couldn't even find on the World Map. I don't have a passport.Took two months to get that fixed. Found out the Hotel Operator and Asst. Manager were selling pin numbers to the Airplane stewardess.

Again keep hounding the hotel and get it fixed.
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #1358
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It started off with us receiving bad directions from the hotel. Driving passed the hotel numerous times looking for the "Legacy Grand Resort". Turns out, the front of the hotel is called "Orlando Grand", and the back of the hotel is "Legacy Grand Resort". Apparently, they changed the name, but not the web site or half of their literature. I think "Orlando Grand" is a better name since it certainly isn't a "resort" by any means.

The walls are paper thin, and people walking by, or the cleaning ladies rolling a vacuum cleaner, would easily wake you up. The air conditioner was full blast cold, or off. Nothing in between. Our tub had a big hole in it. The ceiling had water damage from the tub above us, and sure enough, one day, it leaked down from their tub into ours. Our room was missing a TV remote. The movies on-demand were not working. Wireless internet was not working for me, and their tech service would not come out to the room to troubleshoot it. I was able to pick up my UPS package at the front desk without being proofed for ID!

But other than that, it was great! Definitely much better off than what other countries could offer.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #1359
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Steve Bahnatka

Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
I was able to pick up my UPS package at the front desk without being proofed for ID!
You weren't the only one. I was sent to get multiple boxes for different people, and they handed them right to me.no questions.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #1360
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Just a word of caution for the guys that may try to look for "discounted" room rates for up coming events... I know someone that booked a room thru one of the online places, only to get a call back like a month before the race saying that the rate they were given could not be offered for that week. This person argued with the hotel and FINALLY got the discounted rate.

After hearing this story I did some "investigating" of my own. I went to 3 of the "big" online discount places, Guess what I found.....

For the week of the race the "Orlando Grand" and the "Legacy Grand Resort" were no where to be found. One place even had a notation when I did a search by Hotel name that said "the hotel you are looking for has been removed for this week by request of the management"

I could make all the reservations I wanted for the week before and the week after....for $45 a night!

I find it funny that the hotel blocks off 225 rooms for the race at $79 + taxes a night with the "average" racer staying ATLEAST 5 nights for a total of close to $100,000 for the week. I have attened the last 3 Birds and see the same old run down rooms every trip.

But I as a racer know that its not Mike's fault that the hotel management has no concern to fix the holes in the bathtubs or the wobbly toilets or the doors with no locks, so as much as I like being overcharged for what we here in VA. call a " $29 a night roach motel" I will still continue to attend the race, whether its moved or not.........Maybe that is the problem, why fix it everyone has said they will still come back next year! LOL
Old 02-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #1361
Tech Master

Angry

here's a idea. Drop the touring side of the snowbirds all together. then move the Race as a Oval only race at Minregg. Hecktouring has vegas, cleveland, roar carpet nats, and the novak race that should be enough.
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #1362
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Also, for the ones with credit card problems, don't feel bad they couldn't even get ours right and we paid CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had to put up a $50 deposit for the Phone. Well at check out we had about a 20 mins discussion with the clerk about or deposit. There were no calls placed but no deposit to be given back either...LOL
Old 02-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #1363
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepull
here's a idea. Drop the touring side of the snowbirds all together. then move the Race as a Oval only race at Minregg. Hecktouring has vegas, cleveland, roar carpet nats, and the novak race that should be enough.
well there is a bright idea no wonder you didnt get the region 4 director position
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #1364
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

move it to miami
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #1365
Tech Master

marco's buddy you have a pm.
davepull is offline   Reply With Quote