R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2001, 07:35 PM   #16
Tech Master

Default Re: Caps

When I was in electronics shop in high school, we used to charge up those big 1 farad 50V caps and throw one at an unsuspecting student. They'd invariably catch the screw lugs and get zapped! It was great fun! It's also cool to charge them up and short them together against a piece of metal and watch the light show! Seriously, these things are very dangerous, so be very careful when working with them if you don't know what you are doing! Always work with one hand behind your back and wear safety goggles like sonneteer suggested!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 07:52 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Default caps

Umm... I was a bit more discrete....
I used to leave them charged up, putting them all around on the college bench during the pblic open day..... its like fishing.... there is always one who cluldnt resist picting it up....
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 07:58 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Caps

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho
When I was in electronics shop in high school, we used to charge up those big 1 farad 50V caps and throw one at an unsuspecting student. They'd invariably catch the screw lugs and get zapped! It was great fun! It's also cool to charge them up and short them together against a piece of metal and watch the light show! Seriously, these things are very dangerous, so be very careful when working with them if you don't know what you are doing! Always work with one hand behind your back and wear safety goggles like sonneteer suggested!

You've ruin my image of you.
Should I even go to the track when you're around? You might zap me with a big cap.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 08:08 PM   #19
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Caps

Sydewynder

Only on electric race days! Besides, I don't have any room in my hauler bag or toolbox for big caps, anyways.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 09:30 PM   #20
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito
Default Re: Caps

Quote:
Originally posted by sonneteer
Just one more point..... if you want to experiment:

BEcause Caps of different values charge and discharge differnetly,
Generally smaller are faster.... by connecting differnt valued caps in parallel will give a very discharge charateristic which can give better results. For expamle.... 2 x 4700uF in parallel is better than 1x 10.000uF . Manufacturer dont tdo that to save money and board space....

hm .. can ypu please explain what do u mean by 2 x 4700uF caps are better ?
what can they do ?
what will happen ? will it give more punch then 1 10000uF cap?

i m running a 14600uF cap and i find that my car is faster without it... dunno why but i wonder if u guys know ... if you do plz share it
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 11:30 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Larger caps don't have the tendency to explode like the little ones do. The little ones can explode like a firecracker if they are overpowered, very Loud bang! An electronics teacher in high school gave us demonstrations of what would happen if you overpowered them. Also considering that their external wrapping is aluminum, it's not something you want to go bang near you and especially near your face!
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 11:34 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

imataquito: I believe the reasoning behind the two smaller caps being better than the one is that the smaller ones can charge and discharge quicker than the large one even though they have close to the same capacity, giving them a quicker response as per say!
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 09:49 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Default caps

Trust me..... BIG CAPS also GO BANG..... but with more bass... more mess and alot more severe.... and the mess they leave is like the aftermath of a pillow fight..... most system shuts down before they blow, thats why you dont see many....

And yes, small caps charge and discharge quicker, so they have bette speed.... either way..... but if you wnat wallop... their combine value can also deliver them....
Old 11-09-2001, 09:57 AM   #24
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: caps

Quote:
Originally posted by sonneteer
Trust me..... BIG CAPS also GO BANG..... but with more bass... more mess and alot more severe.... and the mess they leave is like the aftermath of a pillow fight..... most system shuts down before they blow, thats why you dont see many....

And yes, small caps charge and discharge quicker, so they have bette speed.... either way..... but if you wnat wallop... their combine value can also deliver them....
looks like you guys are off topic !! we are talking about cap for ESC !!
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 10:15 AM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Default Hmm

Yes, I know the advantages and disadvantages of small versus big caps. Not knowing the exact schematic of the Novak ESC, I don't know what will happen. The specification is pretty close to those Panasonic caps Novak was shipping with. Except I noticed Novak is shipping a different one with C2 and TC2. Alright, I'll share the information with you guys. Check out www.powercache.com I have PC5 capacitors. I just need to get 2 more.
Yuchol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 10:30 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Back to ESC and nothing else!!!

What is your intention anyway? R U trying to get more instantaneous power reserve to the motor i.e. to build up some power reserve when you need it?
Old 11-09-2001, 10:55 AM   #27
Tech Apprentice

Default Not really

No, not really. I don't have specific desires in that matter. I simply want to experiment and find out what effect this capacitor will have in performance. There hasn't been a cap this big at such a small physical size and nobody knows anything about it. I just want to know. I'm not trying to make it a new fad, or want to get a Nobel prize in ESC, just want to know for myself.
Yuchol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 12:40 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Speaking of caps, (maybe we need to start a capacitor thread)

I was just thinking... I've got a Fantom dyno (actually it's an older RSR, the dyno that became the Fantom) and it would want a 75 amp power supply or a car battery for power. I was just wondering if a bank of large caps could work with my existing 20A power supply... if the power supply charges the bank of caps, then the caps could do the dyno pull, or at least the start, which grabs the big current...

Anyone have a rough idea of how many 1 farad caps I'd need to handle the load? A typical pull starts at 60 to 70 amps, quickly tapering down into the low teens in a second or two. I'd think I'd only need the caps to supply the motor until the amp draw falls into the range the power supply can handle.

Or would it just be cheaper to get that big 75 amp Rivergate?

Trips
Old 11-09-2001, 08:43 PM   #29
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

yuchol...
i have a guess of what will happen ... do tell all of us here once u completed testing

a) ur battry will last for a short time compared to no caps
b) ur motor will move super slow cause the caps takes charge from the battry and leaves little for the motor
c) the car wont move--- then suddenly moves cause battry charge cap -cap move motor

if u have 4 of the caps u will i THINK- not sure take 4 amps to charge the cap..
so motor will be left with no juice

anyone agree wif me ?
i m not sure its just my 'GUESS' lol
so i would like to know the results and if it makes the car super fast dont tell anyone here Private message me alone
yuchol -lol JUsT KIddin
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 09:46 PM   #30
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by imataquito
yuchol...
i have a guess of what will happen ... do tell all of us here once u completed testing

a) ur battry will last for a short time compared to no caps
b) ur motor will move super slow cause the caps takes charge from the battry and leaves little for the motor
c) the car wont move--- then suddenly moves cause battry charge cap -cap move motor

if u have 4 of the caps u will i THINK- not sure take 4 amps to charge the cap..
so motor will be left with no juice

anyone agree wif me ?
i m not sure its just my 'GUESS' lol
so i would like to know the results and if it makes the car super fast dont tell anyone here Private message me alone
yuchol -lol JUsT KIddin
I dont think this is the case. Charles of team novak has already answered what a power cap does on another ESC related thread here. check it out.
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote