R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Anyone want to help a new guy get started in the RC World?

Last time I tried getting into RC was a few years ago and to put it short I didn't have a good experience. I'd like to give it another shot though and I'm hoping some here can point me in the right direction, I'm looking into getting started in electric on-road 1:10 so that's why I'm here.

So in order to have the best experience, what should I do. How much do I need to get started, and to keep going in this hobby? And just in general, what should I do to have the best experience? I don't know anyone in this hobby, and I live in the los angeles area of California, thanks in advance for the help.
Prozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

if you can make it out to costa mesa socal raceway is a great place to meet some fellow 1/10 on-roaders and most everyone there will be glad to help you with info and advice...

take your time getting into it and don't let too many people sway you into jumping in too far money-wise... find out what a reasonable budget is, pick a range to where you want to start and stick to it... in the beginning it will be practice and learning that will help the most... once into it you'll slowly ease into better equipment and other stuff...

driving wise stay humble and realize that everyone has trouble in the beginning... it takes some time to get around a track... then get around smoothly without mistakes... then driving racing lines... just have fun and let it all come to you at your own pace...
Old 10-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Prozak,

Look up SoCal raceway on the web or phone book and head on down there. If you go on a race night you can talk to some racers about what cars they own plus of course talk to the hobbyshop staff as well. I am sure there are other great shops in the area but I would probably go there first.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Take your time. Don't expect to beat everyone on your first day out. Pick a car that has good local support both on the track and in the shop. (You're going to need both.) Most important, don't forget what got you interested in the first place. It is lots of fun!!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
How much do I need to get started, and to keep going in this hobby?
you can start with those entry level cars which is cheap. but asking how much to spend to keep going in this hobby. it cost more than what you think.sometimes this gets addicted. specially if car manufacturer dont care about the hobbist that much right now. they keep producing new car every year. without waiting for the racers to catch up.
jinkasama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Hey guys thanks for the advice. It seems the thing to do is to go to a track, so I'll give it a shot.
Prozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

www.socalrc.com is in Huntington Beach. Come down check it out and you can see where to start. Heck if you come down and decide tyo get started. I'll give you a set of wheels and tires that may look beat up but still can serve their purpose. Just to add another racer would be great. By the way my name is Paco.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I've been in RC for a little over a year now. When I first started, I read everything I could get my hands on about setting-up the car. 99% of the competitive racers out there will tell you that set-up is much more important than the actual equipment itself. On the main page here on RC Tech, there's a link to go to the various manufactures and magazines. Many of the magazines have some great articles geared towards beginners and teaching basic car set-up. Once you grasp those concepts, the folks at your local track can help you with specific issues that may arise. I'm out east and have heard nothing but great things about that SoCal track that the above folks referred you to. Good luck and have fun.
TC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

I think the XXX Main setup book by Martin Crisp is a must.

Don't be afraid to ask questions of the other racers - the vast majority will be more than happy to help as much as they can.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Bending Corners Raceway, also in Orange County, has an excellent novice program.
go here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...85#post2724585
Raffell really goes the extra mile to help out new racers.
Look for me there or at SoCal (usu. Tuesday nites) and I might have a battery pack for you!
DHopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHopkins
Bending Corners Raceway, also in Orange County, has an excellent novice program.
go here: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...85#post2724585
Raffell really goes the extra mile to help out new racers.
Look for me there or at SoCal (usu. Tuesday nites) and I might have a battery pack for you!
Sounds like really good advice to me.

Try at least two race programs to get a feel for it.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote