R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default pro4,still competitive?

I have a pro4 and I like to know if I can still be competitive with this car.(granted that driving skills are the most important factor)Do not really want to invest in another car right now.
racer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The top drivers at my track with a Pro4 would still beat me with my RDX. In fact I just recently sold someone my Pro4 (he had never driven 1/10th scale electric). He then raced with it without practicing and almost beat me.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Yes. I would say unless you're a top level driver, or even really close to being the top driver at your local club, as long as the car is reasonably current it's not going to be the one thing that will put you over the top.

Tires, setup and driving will have a much more profound impact on you being competitive.

How competitive are you now and what class do you drive?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Pro4 was a national champ.

When you decide to upgrade you can go with a cyclone, chances are you will have some pro4 spares floating around, alot of which is the same between both cars, like suspension parts, ect.

Pro4 has, and is, becoming more of a "cult following" type of car.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Pro 4. it's amazing easy and fun, good for the whole family
Dave22286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
really? wow i might buy one and take my whole family to race at my local hobby track.
jinkasama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22286
He's asking for a car review, not a movie review.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Pro4 was a national champ.

When you decide to upgrade you can go with a cyclone, chances are you will have some pro4 spares floating around, alot of which is the same between both cars, like suspension parts, ect.

Pro4 has, and is, becoming more of a "cult following" type of car.
As a former Pro4 owner, I will say a car is the difference between being in pusuit of the leader and actaully winning. I only drove HPI cars because that is what I started with. From HPI RS4 to HPI Pro to HPI Pro2 to HPI Pro4. I was doing well until I got the Pro4. After running it nearly a year and a half. I would have a decent day for every three not so good days. Maybe I was use to belt driven and could not handle a shaft driven car. Who knows? I then switched to another belt driven car and instantly became a much improved driver. Pro4 was a national champ. It still is a good car but there are cars out there that can make it easier for you to handle. The Pro4 is a car for a well experienced driver. If you are not that then get a more forgiving car. The Pro4 is fast but does get tweaked very easily. You constantly have to adjust and readjust it to be a winner.

Cyclone is a good car to go with. If you get one, some of the suspension parts will fit from the Pro4. I'm not sure if you want the cyclone though.

Tamiya MSX415 is also a great car. Easy to drive, but pricey like the T2 or the RDX. All these are belt driven and very competitive. A bit softer acceleration but easy to handle (no torque steer).

Just my opinion. Good luck with your choice.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinkasama
really? wow i might buy one and take my whole family to race at my local hobby track.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer
As a former Pro4 owner, I will say a car is the difference between being in pusuit of the leader and actaully winning. I only drove HPI cars because that is what I started with. From HPI RS4 to HPI Pro to HPI Pro2 to HPI Pro4. I was doing well until I got the Pro4. After running it nearly a year and a half. I would have a decent day for every three not so good days. Maybe I was use to belt driven and could not handle a shaft driven car. Who knows? I then switched to another belt driven car and instantly became a much improved driver. Pro4 was a national champ. It still is a good car but there are cars out there that can make it easier for you to handle. The Pro4 is a car for a well experienced driver. If you are not that then get a more forgiving car. The Pro4 is fast but does get tweaked very easily. You constantly have to adjust and readjust it to be a winner.

Cyclone is a good car to go with. If you get one, some of the suspension parts will fit from the Pro4. I'm not sure if you want the cyclone though.

Tamiya MSX415 is also a great car. Easy to drive, but pricey like the T2 or the RDX. All these are belt driven and very competitive. A bit softer acceleration but easy to handle (no torque steer).

Just my opinion. Good luck with your choice.
I agree, I have seen racers struggle with them. It's hard to describe what they look like on the track but they have a funky handling style. When they tweak they are way off. But they are strong and you can be fast with it.

I have a cyclone and it's real easy to drive, I have seen racers go from the pro4 to the cyclone and just look alot better. I will still say the pro4 is a nice car but really the belt car can be more forgiving.