Pancar?

Old 10-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
EP TC has become as expensive to run as a 5th scale...
Only if you want to keep up with the "IN" crowd that is also having the latest and greatest. My last T2 cost me a grand including radio and PT but it was all top line stuff.

However a person can still race with a TA05 for $150 with an MX3 radio for $100 plus a GTS speedo for $75. I know, thats over $300 but its a very raceable package for less than $500.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
I raced pan cars also. I even had the TRC 1/10 car before AE decided to come out with a 1/10 pan.

If people want to run pancar then lets talk about 1/12 instead of 1/10. Like I said before, 1/10 pan was just an effort at making bigger onroad cars. Now that scale (1/10th) is fulfilled by the TC.

Yes I had early pancars also....TRC,Bolink, 10l, LYNX. The only advantage I see with 1/12 over 1/10 is they can be raced on smaller tracks. The 1/12 chassis is tighter, more crowded. 1/10 GTP cars and 1/10 touring cars have a different appeal. GTP cars have more for me......to each his own. Touring car bodies pretty much look all alike to me for the most part. Pancars have less adjustment and are easier to dial in.....my opinion. Again in my opinion.....it's just a matter of time before the appeal of touring cars will be lost on racers.....and it might even be in the process now. I hear of some tracks having low turnouts for TC. If I had a choice it would be 1/10 pancars for sure......if they make a comeback.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

We had NO turnout last weekend for TC!!!! 3 people had TC's with them but only wanted to run 12th...
Old 10-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

it's funny, because for me it comes down to a few things. primarily coast and time required... being thirty something and having a couple young kids money is tight and my free time to spend in the basement preparing a car to race on saturday is limited.. the facts that 1/10th pancars can be fit with the same touring car bodies, require far less maintenance, cost half the money as a competitive touring car and are more durable only makes sense. that they are faster is just gravy.... the drawbacks are relatively obvious however in that joe schmoe can't pick up the wheel and just mash the throttle keeps the newbie from jumping in, but for those of us that are hard core racers why is this not everybodys second class or primary class?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

It's taken me 3 days to take apart my 12th scale, clean bearings, rebuild motor (actually replace) and put new tires on it. I'm retired, have a 22 month old, a 7 year old I have to run 46 miles 3 days a week to get, and a wife who works full time and is back in college getting her masters... All my stuff is in my basement, can't go down there while the little guy is up because he gets into everything and I haven't seen my wife before 9 pm all week... I try to get everything done during nap time, which has gotten much shorter and less frequent... Having leftovers for dinner, still haven't made the bed, need to do laundry, just isn't enough time in the day anymore... Forget about doing any maintanence on my TC's, just aint happening... Still trying to get my Heli fixed that I dumped 3 weeks ago....
Old 10-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Oh yea... Tuesdays and thursdays we go out for activity time at the library... Still have to get the real cars winterized... Want to pull the whole rear out of the Chevelle, send some trim out to be rechromed... It never ends... Housework... I need to hire someone...

Hahahaha....

Be happy if you don't have a house and a family or any other hobbies....
Old 10-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

I own so many rc cars, 1/10 TC, Pan cars, Stadium truck, 1/12 pan cars, 1/18 TC. My choice in every weekend will always be both 1/10 pan car and 1/12 pan car.

1/12 is alive because there are others who organize races or get together for weekend bashing. As for the 1/10 pan cars, no hobby shop in Asia still sell the kits or spare parts at large.

Having said that, I do realize that my 1/10 pan car always caught other people attention as it outruns 1/10 nitros on long straight. People keep on asking me where did I get my pan cars, spare parts and tires. I told them, i bought boxes of tires, kits and parts in Japan before HPI made official announcement about discontinuing the 10g and 10gw.

I do wish that HPI will continue the production of the parts and kits. The performance of 1/10 pan car is just amazing. Superb straight line speed and very tight cornering due to its super lightweight (about 1kg with platinum lipo, 4.5 BL and GTB inside).

While the TC losses a lot of to friction due to drivetrain losses (gearing, driveshafts, etc), my pan car is direct driven to a motor. While TC with 4.5 BL requires end ratio of more than 10, I run my pan car with end ratio 0f 6.3-6.8. Just imagine how much straight line speed that I have while at the same time having a 40-50% lighter car than a TC.

To make up for the lack of AWD traction, I bought myself Le mans style body with really high downforce. When it comes to tires, I can pretty much use any TC foam once I took out the plastic wheel after a good overnight soaking in acetone.

Give it a try and you will know the reason why I chose my 1/10 pan cars over my TCs (mr4tcs, SDs, academy, tamiyas).

Oh by the way, in a very small, dusty and tight track, I do agree that TC is faster than my 1/10 pan cars. In a large high speed track, either I wait for the nitro guys to come in or the nitro guys will wait for me to come in. In a small tight technical track, I simply bring either my 1/10 10gw narrow pan car, 1/12 pan car or my TC. It's as simple as choosing either a 50 caliber rifle, 7.62 rifle or 9mm handgun, i have plenty of choices.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And, obviously, a good taste in rifles. Your choice in handguns could use some thought, though. Thanks; Ernie P.

--------By azmio------------
"Oh by the way, in a very small, dusty and tight track, I do agree that TC is faster than my 1/10 pan cars. In a large high speed track, either I wait for the nitro guys to come in or the nitro guys will wait for me to come in. In a small tight technical track, I simply bring either my 1/10 10gw narrow pan car, 1/12 pan car or my TC. It's as simple as choosing either a 50 caliber rifle, 7.62 rifle or 9mm handgun, i have plenty of choices".
Old 10-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here's how to revive the class - make the cars you have available for TC racers to try.

12 months into the hobby - started with TC - tried 1/12th and loved it. Last night Matts let me drive a 10th pan...done-sold-game over-Good Night Now!!!

I'm saving some dollars (while still getting properly set-up for TC and possibly outfitting myself for a box stock nitro sedan this summer (great job Joel) - but I will be actively reasearching this class and investing in it as I can afford it. If I can't race it - I'll go to my club and run it on the track alone and make vrrrooom noises to myself.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
And, obviously, a good taste in rifles. Your choice in handguns could use some thought, though. Thanks; Ernie P.

--------By azmio------------
"Oh by the way, in a very small, dusty and tight track, I do agree that TC is faster than my 1/10 pan cars. In a large high speed track, either I wait for the nitro guys to come in or the nitro guys will wait for me to come in. In a small tight technical track, I simply bring either my 1/10 10gw narrow pan car, 1/12 pan car or my TC. It's as simple as choosing either a 50 caliber rifle, 7.62 rifle or 9mm handgun, i have plenty of choices".

You are right....his first choice should have been the old .45...then maybe a .40!!! But wait.....my .357 always did the job......bu then again my .44 Mag is definitely a 1 shot stopper!!!! Aww the choices some of us have to make!!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaliberX
Here's how to revive the class - make the cars you have available for TC racers to try.

12 months into the hobby - started with TC - tried 1/12th and loved it. Last night Matts let me drive a 10th pan...done-sold-game over-Good Night Now!!!

I'm saving some dollars (while still getting properly set-up for TC and possibly outfitting myself for a box stock nitro sedan this summer (great job Joel) - but I will be actively reasearching this class and investing in it as I can afford it. If I can't race it - I'll go to my club and run it on the track alone and make vrrrooom noises to myself.

Yes, Matts let me drive his pan car last night too and now I'm hooked. If I can actually find one (yes I know H2K has a 10l3 but I'll be going away for 3 weeks and I suspect by the time I get back it will be gone ) and enough people get interested that would be sweet.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If you like touring car like bodies, here is my wide 1/10 pan with the McAllister wide pan 300 Z which is a GTU body. Setup is not difficult nor counterintuitive. Tire treatment seems to be a must for the foams on outdoor asphalt. Jack the gripper by Corally works well. Stormer has Corally C10 X's in stock. Don't know if this will continue but they have added 5 wide pan bodies to their lineup very recently. Again the main advantage is high top speed on a long outdoor track combined with little motor wear. Brushless will rarely if ever thermal even in Houston's Summer. Long run times. 12-19 minutes with 3800 packs. They are not as easy to drive as four-wheel drive touring cars. This is a small price to pay. Plenty of bling can be added.
Attached Thumbnails Pancar?-mcallister-nissan-300-z-pan-body-004-resized.jpg   Pancar?-front-shock-mount-assc-top-plate-002-resized.jpg   Pancar?-irs-rear-axle-installed-002-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-16-2006 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

ernie and srad

LOL, i never thought i would find people like you and me inside this RC car forum. Here in asia, 9mm is a standard ammo. I believe that you guys have to use baretta and standard 9mm in europe to make sure you have plenty of supply with other nato forces in italy and germany.

I know that in your part of the world 5.56mm is preferable but 7.62mm is better. There have been many cases where commie got shot with 5.56mm in the belly during the communist insurgency, yet they walked away leaving trails of blood. That's why 7.62 rifle is preferable.

Anyhow,back to the handgun, i know yanks like to have as big caliber handgun as possible. In my case, if I have to use the handgun in the battlefield, we're pretty much banged up, ouch!! 9mm or .45 doesnt make much difference i guess, LOL
Old 10-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Chat Forum?

Originally Posted by azmio
ernie and srad

LOL, i never thought i would find people like you and me inside this RC car forum. Here in asia, 9mm is a standard ammo. I believe that you guys have to use baretta and standard 9mm in europe to make sure you have plenty of supply with other nato forces in italy and germany.

I know that in your part of the world 5.56mm is preferable but 7.62mm is better. There have been many cases where commie got shot with 5.56mm in the belly during the communist insurgency, yet they walked away leaving trails of blood. That's why 7.62 rifle is preferable.

Anyhow,back to the handgun, i know yanks like to have as big caliber handgun as possible. In my case, if I have to use the handgun in the battlefield, we're pretty much banged up, ouch!! 9mm or .45 doesnt make much difference i guess, LOL
Let's take this over to the Chat Forum; before the moderator puts us there. (-: Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Its funny how people criticize the TC bodies are boring.

The truth is that ANY onroad racer body is boring!

Back then when we ran pan car, everyone had a "Can AM" style body. The choice of everyone was.........TOJ.... everyone had a TOJ. BORING!!!
Don't know what a TOJ body looks like? Take a GTP body and step on it! You know have a TOJ.

Of cource with TCs, it was Stratus, and now Mazdas. Ya thats boring too. The problem is that racers only run what seem to work best aerodynamically, not what looks cool. So it will always be an issue where everyone runs the same body.

So TCs are basically just as boring as Pancars from the body point of view.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.