R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-08-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb
I don't think the people on rctech should be responsible for making a descision like how long races should be.

The worst decisions are usually made when the people they affect have no input in the matter.

For club racing this can be done. It should be done on an individual club basis. Others visiting will adjust. Gearing will not have to be changed. If it does then maybe one tooth. Don't talk about motor maint. because there are so many out there as it is that cut comms and put brushes in every run right now, and that is for club racing.

As for large races, the only one I have been to is the Jan Jam at rcmadness. I do not think it is feasible due to the time limitation and # of racers
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:11 PM   #17
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-dub
I
in regards to ea's post (whose opinion i respect but disagree with):
i could care less about what 2-3 'big' races do per year if 'most' local tracks adpot those same rules to run their club races the other 51 weeks. yes....tracks can make variations on rules, but many like to keep things simple and not get grief for deviating.
I have NO problem at all with Club races being longer....I am looking at Roar Santioned events and the other big races each year.... I am ALL FOR club's doing what ever it takes to get more racers involved!!

The problem is some guys in this thread (me) are looking at Roar and "Big" races....While others are looking at the Club racing scene.

Trust me Roar has looked at the race length for the past coulpe of years with battery's improving. But the points I brought up are what keeps it from going any further.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Let say we go from 5 min to 6 min qualifiers across the board, the current packs that we have access to (4200 / 4300) probably have more then enough capacity to power any of the classes to 6 minutes (including mod). The last batch of 3800 would probably do it as well. Let's push this even further ... can a 19T or a stock last 8 minutes - absolutely.

Is a battery war really that bad from a consumers standpoint? The past battery war got us the best packs in the history of RC - and for the most econimical price in years. From a manufactures point-of-view, I understand your concerns, however, the consumers always drive the industry - not the other way around.

The only negative I see here is that it will cause races to run longer, which is a huge concern when talking about larger events like the US Nationals or the IIC. Something that has to seriously be considered in this movement.

Eric (EA) - how will this cause less of a turn-out at major events? What would increasing the run times have to do with attendance?
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:24 PM   #19
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
Eric (EA) - how will this cause less of a turn-out at major events? What would increasing the run times have to do with attendance?
It wouldnt cause less people to want to go it would FORCE organizers to accept less entries for the events.... The IIC this year there were a little less than 600 entries and there were 60 heat races. All races were run TO THE MINUTE on the posted schedule and some where even early. Races started at 7AM and we got done at Midnight EVERY DAY!! Thats 17 hours at the track. If you added even 1 minute to each race that would be another 2 hours per day roughly. If you made stock and 19 turn 8 minutes then it would be out of control.

All other races are this way as well. The Roar Nationals were even long this year with 280 entires (the largest ever!!). A lot of places that hold these national events have time restrictions to put these events on as well (have to be done by 9 or 10pm at some places, etc).

EA
Old 10-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #20
Tech Addict

No.......
Old 10-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

Heck lets just go back to 4 mins. I know some of you guys can remember when trying to get your battery to last 4 mins. was a chore. I for one grew up racing RCs for 4 mins when I got back into it and things changed to 5 mins it threw me for a loop I still can concentrate for 5 mins.

I say we stick with 5 mins races and only run 5 cells this would slow down stock motors to a beginner level and make 19t and mod racing much more popular, but hey thats just my opinion.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #22
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroffBall
Heck lets just go back to 4 mins. I know some of you guys can remember when trying to get your battery to last 4 mins. was a chore. I for one grew up racing RCs for 4 mins when I got back into it and things changed to 5 mins it threw me for a loop I still can concentrate for 5 mins.

I say we stick with 5 mins races and only run 5 cells this would slow down stock motors to a beginner level and make 19t and mod racing much more popular, but hey thats just my opinion.
The problem with going to 5 cells is that some chargers dont recongnize a 5 cell pack. So that would be a major issue. If the cell number was to change it would be smart to go to 4 cell....Then everything would be 4 cell's...Oval, On-road and even Dirt could....Hell most dirt guys go to a 5 cell pack now when the traction is really low....I know they wouldnt complain.

EA
Old 10-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
It wouldnt cause less people to want to go it would FORCE organizers to accept less entries for the events....

EA
That, I believe is the only viable reason not to do it... the battery / electronic technology can totally support it.

The only track that I know of that has a serious time schedule that may not allow for a couple extra hours in a race day is the Tamiya track in CA ... what are some others? Remeber, we are talking touring cars here - not off-road.

As for the others that have posted in this thread, I think it's important that race organizers understand why, or why-you-don't support this - a "NO" is probably not going to help the scope of the discussion - but thanks for your input.

EA - thanks for your input, it's important that people that have your experience at races help educate people that are not as experienced (like me) at what goes on during major national events.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:20 PM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I say we put a motor limit of the mod guys, tired of hearing them cry.... I ran Mod when we were still running 1200's and we all managed to make runtime... Part of any Motorsport is making it to the end... 2; 5 minute qualifiers and 10 minute mains...
Old 10-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #25
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
That, I believe is the only viable reason not to do it... the battery / electronic technology can totally support it.

The only track that I know of that has a serious time schedule that may not allow for a couple extra hours in a race day is the Tamiya track in CA ... what are some others? Remeber, we are talking touring cars here - not off-road.

As for the others that have posted in this thread, I think it's important that race organizers understand why, or why-you-don't support this - a "NO" is probably not going to help the scope of the discussion - but thanks for your input.

EA - thanks for your input, it's important that people that have your experience at races help educate people that are not as experienced (like me) at what goes on during major national events.
I agree partially on your first statement as in mod there is already a problem with a lot of brushless systems shutting off and motors not making 5 minutes without blowing up. Also with the future of brushless coming faster and faster if you go much beyond 6 minutes you'll encounter then great "thermal shutdown" problem. Just other stuff to think about.

Out my way (east coast) a lot of our TC racing is done in parking lots that do not have the lighting to support night racing. I know there are a few permanent tracks that have that same problem as well.

No problem on the input....Longer races has its pro's and con's....As I said I am all for anything that helps local race turnout and give's racers more bang for their buck.... Tracks just need to be aware of some of the smaller issues before jumping straight into 6-8 minute races. Major races/Organizers already know the issue with longer races....

EA
Old 10-08-2006, 07:53 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

We are at the end of our first season running 6 minute stock,and it has been a hit. It adds an averge of 5 minutes to a round... and the racers love it.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:20 PM   #27
Tech Master

We should keep Mod at 5 mins and up the run time on 19 turn and stock.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #28
Tech Adept

I would love to see stock and 19t heats longer. I have to drive over 3 hours each way to race every other weekend. Any extra time I could get on the stick would be great.

People say that it would become a battery war and it would scare away beginners because they couldn't compete. I find that utterly rediculous. At my club everyone is running at least 3800's and most of the time lost in a heat is from crashing. If you want to be competitive now you still have to run the best batteries and drive clean.

Fot those of you that get to run every week it may not make much of a difference to you. For those of us that have to travel to race and only get to run twice a month, any extra running time would be greatly appreciated.

John
Johnny9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Well I'm glad to see this topic come up for the 54th time...lol
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

My vote is YES!!!! but Mains B and A longer then others... 6 mins on the heats, 6 on all mains up to B, then B up to 8 and A, then up to 10 mins. Personaly I would like to see A main 12 or 14 mins....

Boy would it be fun to watch them figure out the setup and gear down to make the equipment last 10 mins...
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote