R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #106
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM

If you don't like it you can always quit and try paintball, online gaming or knitting. I'll still be racing when you come back in a year or two to tell you I told you it would work out fine.

Don't be afraid of change....
The people that are dead set on 4-cell,and keeping their head in the sand about brushless and lipo,are the ones that fear change-because going to 4-cell won't change a thing. The cars will still be just as underpowered as they are now.It will take everybody about a week to figure out how to push the new power combination to the limit and make them just as high-maintenence and disposeable as they are now.It will take about 2 more weeks to figure out the handling and make them just as fast as they are now(probably faster).In a year of two you'll be the one playing paintball as more people get sick and tired of the rat race of brushes and sub-c's.(nice attitude by the way)
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #107
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOlds
The cars will still be just as underpowered as they are now.
Underpowered now?!? Cars were measured at 70 mph at the Euros this year. Now tell me if thats slow...
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #108
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I hope so the car is almost half the weight
Point was made because Adrian keeps using the Oval arguement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I bet my 7 series has better A/C than your Chevy
Actually I've got an aftermarket R134 system in there, I took the factory system out so I'm gonna bet they are pretty equal.... (yea, may or may not have degraded the value but it's my car...)

HP has, is, and always will be the great equalizer...
Old 10-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
O guess you are pretty new to R/C racing. The US (10T) and Europe (12T) tried this 2 years ago. It didnt work. We would just crank up the timing on the motors and gear them to the moon so they were just as fast as 8 and 7 turns. We really fried those motors.
Not totally new... but thanks.

I thought it was the asian market that tried 12 turn? I Was aware of 10T in the US, that's why I used that number.

As for limiting motors - why not locked timing then? At the end of the day, no matter what motor / battery combo's (6 cell vs. 4 cell), we are always going to crank the timing and gear to the moon to get the most performance out of them. Be-it 4 cell mod, or the current 6 cell mod, there will always be people popping motors, and burning speed controls.

I guess there is more to this idea then just trying to protect our equipment, or slow down the cars. Wouldn't some of the electronic companies have something to gain from moving to 4 cell mod as well? It would mean that they can release speed controllers that are lighter duty (probably less expensive to build / design).
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #110
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
Underpowered now?!? Cars were measured at 70 mph at the Euros this year. Now tell me if thats slow...

70 mph or is it 70 kph?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #111
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

70 mph or 113km/h. Thats 1:8 territory...
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #112
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen
The balance between power and grip is way out of whack.The can make use of all the power you can put into them,even with new horesepower technology,thus they are never overpowered. The speeds they are capable of has nothing to do with the balance.A 70mph sedan still handles well and puts all it's power to the ground,and is therefore underpowered.A 70mph Schuamcher Menace monster truck by comparison acheives the same speed but is grossly overpowered.
DrOlds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #113
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrOlds
The balance between power and grip is way out of whack.The can make use of all the power you can put into them,even with new horesepower technology,thus they are never overpowered. The speeds they are capable of has nothing to do with the balance.A 70mph sedan still handles well and puts all it's power to the ground,and is therefore underpowered.A 70mph Schuamcher Menace monster truck by comparison acheives the same speed but is grossly overpowered.
And everyday guys are calling me asking if they can make it faster...lol! But they are bashers...not racers.

Charlie Suangka got his T2 to go 104mph at the RCCA speed runs. Thats cool but its useless on the track. The best hangling cars wins 99% of the time not the fastest one down the straight.

Oh and anyone saying I am anti brushless must be hiding under a rock. I very pro brushless....an FYI, the BL guy are in bigger trouble with motor and speedo problems than the BR guys.

All of the Brushless manufactueres are pro 4 cell.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #114
Tech Champion

And thats simply because brushless tech is not upto the brushed motor tech... I had a well known UK racer admit as much to me at the Cotswolds national. Heck he was even running a prototype BL speedo with more fets simply to help stop the thermalling issue. And so far at least one other well known UK driver has said that in his opinion, 4cell open mod is too slow for the top class.

Make of that what you will... but I know firmly what camp i'm in... as replacement for 19t, yes; for mod, no.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:43 PM   #115
Tech Elite

Quote:

All of the Brushless manufactueres are pro 4 cell.

Where's Ernie? How does Trinity feel about this? They are the largest stock motor supplier/importer in the US and are about to have all their 27 turn technology uprooted....
Old 10-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #116
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Where's Ernie? How does Trinity feel about this? They are the largest stock motor supplier/importer in the US and are about to have all their 27 turn technology uprooted....
Ernie is too busy selling these!!and I think that his pocket feels pretty good
http://www.teamtrinity.com/shop/moto...ess-n4060.html

Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #117
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
As for limiting motors - why not locked timing then? At the end of the day, no matter what motor / battery combo's (6 cell vs. 4 cell), we are always going to crank the timing and gear to the moon to get the most performance out of them. Be-it 4 cell mod, or the current 6 cell mod, there will always be people popping motors, and burning speed controls.
Amen!
Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #118
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I am having a hard time believing that anyone at ROAR would consider such a change. Has there been huge public outcry? NO! Are there hundreds of racers around the country moving from 6 cell classes to 4 cell classes? NO! Then WHY push for a conversion to 4 cell? When the MAJORITY of racers raise an outcry for 4 cell racing then...ROAR should consider it. To think that we will all bow down because a few can't hang in the Mod class????? Please stop the nonsense..... If this is because Brushless Tech can not hang with brushed at the highest levels of competition....well, build it better or go out of business. If this is about Newbies, then change the STOCK motor wind to 35 turn. If changes are to be made them by GOSH make changes that make sense. PLEASE!!!!

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Legalize 4 cell Pan Car and I'm all for it... You can run your 4 cell TC, I'll run my 4 cell L3T!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #120
Tech Adept

I think we the consumer need to let everyone know our feelings on 4 cell touring cars. Lets all edit our signatures to do just that!
Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote