R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #76
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
4 cell Stadium Truck will be real fun....

You go tell the kid who owns a stick pack car or an Emaxx that he can't run his 6 cell sport packs...

TC's are dying and it's not because of 6 cell mod...
7 cell racing is not legal but you still see 7 cell packs being made and sold for the non-racers. The racing portion of RC does not depict what is made or sold, it is the 90% of the fun runners who just play with these toys in their yards and streets. They determine what is made and produced(look at TRAXXAS, they cater to the non-racers, just a couple vehicles are also designed to race as well).
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #77
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Thomas
7 cell racing is not legal but you still see 7 cell packs being made and sold for the non-racers. The racing portion of RC does not depict what is made or sold, it is the 90% of the fun runners who just play with these toys in their yards and streets. They determine what is made and produced(look at TRAXXAS, they cater to the non-racers, just a couple vehicles are also designed to race as well).
I remember when 7 cell was legal and Traxxas made Race cars....

Every 10th scale vehicle is made to take a 6 cell pack, you can take your pack and run TC, Buggy, Truck or 2 and you can run an Emaxx...

Switching TC to 4 cells is going to create more of a problem with attracting new people or bringing off roaders over to the dark side...
Old 10-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #78
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

honstly guys,its not as bad as it looks.the cars are still really fast,4 cell packs are cheaper,you dont need to cut motors all day,you wont go through brushes like candy,and run time is not an issue with todays cells.for the hell of it you should just try it some day.off road buggys and trucks will do just fine.most regular back yard bashers cant handle a pissed off mod motor with 6 cell anyway.now they can run the higher quality motors(ball bearing) and be just as fast or a tick faster.i thought run time would be an issue at first until i tried it with a set of 3800 cells.i made 5 minutes barely.with 4200 cells i will have more than enough run time.hell,marcos lasted almost 6 minutes with the 3.5 motor.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #79
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
honstly guys,its not as bad as it looks.the cars are still really fast,4 cell packs are cheaper,you dont need to cut motors all day,you wont go through brushes like candy,and run time is not an issue with todays cells.for the hell of it you should just try it some day.off road buggys and trucks will do just fine.most regular back yard bashers cant handle a pissed off mod motor with 6 cell anyway.now they can run the higher quality motors(ball bearing) and be just as fast or a tick faster.i thought run time would be an issue at first until i tried it with a set of 3800 cells.i made 5 minutes barely.with 4200 cells i will have more than enough run time.hell,marcos lasted almost 6 minutes with the 3.5 motor.
Yes almost 6 minutes, Im going to try a small receiver pack (1/3aaa) just to be safe and I dont miss any laps I wasnt sure either about the 4 cell mod until this morning after watching Jason run one time! I ran to my pits and broke apart a 3700 pack that I had . Im going to try it again next month and Im going to re-do my electronics to balance the car alot better. By the way Jason , your car was FAST!!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:22 PM   #80
Tech Lord

thanks bro,i was surprised that i was able to get the car so well balanced.it was dead nuts on.
J Concepts
Old 10-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #81
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
thanks bro,i was surprised that i was able to get the car so well balanced.it was dead nuts on.
Im doing mine like you had yours! but Im going to ad the rx pack Ill let you know how it works out. If not maybe at the next b and b race,
Old 10-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #82
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What I don't get, is that if the motors are too fast for new racers, shouldn't it be up to the clubs to define a slower class for them to start out in? Why not require the novice class to use cheap 540 motors with battery limits? Or, heaven forbid, how about a novice class that uses Novak's 18.5 Crawler (or some other slow brushless) and LiPo.

This 4 cell thing sounds nice, for sure, but is it really a step in the right direction? Maybe it would have been several years ago, but there are emerging technologies now that accomplish the same things in a better way, and they're coming on strong and fast.

The writing is on the wall for brushed motors and NiMH batteries. It may be several years, still, but it's pretty clear that most consumers are going to gravitate toward whatever is easiest, and requires the least work.

Last edited by syndr0me; 10-16-2006 at 12:21 AM.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #83
Tech Lord

dupe

Last edited by syndr0me; 10-15-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #84
Tech Lord

dupe
Old 10-16-2006, 04:10 AM   #85
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
What I don't get, is that if the motors are too fast for new racers, shouldn't it be up to the clubs to define a slower class for them to start out in? Why not require the novice class to use cheap 540 motors with battery limits? Or, heaven forbid, how about a novice class that uses Novak's 18.5 Crawler (or some other slow brushless) and LiPo.

This 4 cell thing sounds nice, for sure, but is it really a step in the right direction? Maybe it would have been several years ago, but there are emerging technologies now that accomplish the same things in a better way, and they're coming on strong and fast.

The writing is on the wall for brushed motors and NiMH batteries. It may be several years, still, but it's pretty clear that most consumers are going to gravitate toward whatever is easiest, and requires the least work.

i honestly dont find speed to be an issue.i find the issue to be too much battery capacity.the motors cant take it.i dont like desoldering brushes after a 5 minute mod run.i dont like changing brushes every round in stock and 19 turn and i dont like having to run over a 10.0 FDR to run my 4.5 brushless motor and still thermal if i drive it too hard.this is where it is hurting.
J Concepts
Old 10-16-2006, 06:14 AM   #86
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me

Give it a try then let us know
Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #87
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I can tell you this right now, guys like me who run fast electric boats, offroad, and onroad won't buy into this 4 cell mod TC racing if it does even become a new class. This will drive an even further wedge between onroad, offroad, and everthing inbetween. TC's have become so specialized and expensive this will just add to the drawlbacks of TC's in general. (I'm looking at this in a newbie point of view). Everything is geared towards 6 cells.
Yes, I do understand the benifits of running only 4 cells, but when I run mod I do this knowing there much faster than stock, Its my choice to go faster, its my choice to have to cut comms, replace brushes ect. If this were ran as a seperate class, I'd have no problem with it at all, just dont take my 6 cell mod class away from me. If guys want to get away from cutting comm's, replacing brushes, go to a BL, run a lipo to get away from the battery wars. This new technology is the face of things to come, making a new class for old technology right now doesnt make much sense to me. I'd rather see an effort made to get lipo's accepted in all classses.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:00 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro
I can tell you this right now, guys like me who run fast electric boats, offroad, and onroad won't buy into this 4 cell mod TC racing if it does even become a new class. This will drive an even further wedge between onroad, offroad, and everthing inbetween. TC's have become so specialized and expensive this will just add to the drawlbacks of TC's in general. (I'm looking at this in a newbie point of view. Everything is geared towards 6 cells.
Yes, I do understand the benifits of running only 4 cells, buy when I run mod I do this knowing there much faster than stock, Its my choice to go faster, its my choice to have to cut comms, replace brushes ect. If this were ran as a seperate class, I'd have no prolbem with it at all, just dont take my 6 cell mod class away from me. If guys want to get away from cutting comm's, replacing brushes, go to a BL, run a lipo to get away from the battery wars. This new technology is the face of things to come, even Reedy has seen the light, from what I understand they are selling off old stock and making just BL motor's now. Making a new class for old technology right now doesnt make much sense to me. I'd rather see an effort made to get lipo's accepted in all classses.
This is what I've been saying but the narrow minded don't want to hear it... How many of you discovered RC through TC's and only have raced TC's? I'd have to say it's the majority....
Old 10-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #89
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hobbipro - Thats what most of the oval racers said 6 years ago. Guess what? Oval is much bigger now on 4 cells tna 6 years ago on 6 cells. Its normal for people to fear change even if it really is for the better. Most of the hobby industry leaders are behind a switch to 4 cell. They know better than anyone what is best for the health of this hobby.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Have to stop the Oval comparison here... Oval is a "Race only" class and if you don't hit anything is an accelerate once class....