R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #166
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
Stock needs to return to the PRIVATEER class.......not the beginner class....beginners race in novice....and when they step up, they are a racer like everyone else...

Later EddieO
I stand corrected...That is the best quote regarding national level racing!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:57 PM   #167
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

70mph cars at the Euro's? Anyone have any links to videos?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #168
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The real question is what are the classes going to be?

4 cell mod is a great idea for many reasons. First it will lower the price to run mod. Lower battery cost, running BL motors, less tire and car wear.

Hopefully the fast guys will run this class so the beginners will have the stock class to run.

All I know is I am getting tired of one run for a set of brushes. That is why BL is the way to go.

What is going to be used for 19 turn and stock? 4 cell stock touring, I don't think so way too slow.
fred kellner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:36 PM   #169
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lets do 4 cell stadium truck also. And while we are at it take away the jumps because it wont have enough power to do squat. Oval pan cars run well on 4 cells becuase they are direct drive, lighter and more efficient than a touring sled so i feel its really no comparison. If you want 4 cells run the 12th scales.

So I guess I would have to spend more money to have seperate packs for mod sedan and 6 cell packs for my off road rides. How is this saving money? Do you guys work for Trinity??
rcdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:36 AM   #170
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Double post - sry.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:38 AM   #171
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
This isn't Nascar.....its not planes, its not boats......there are actually PEOPLE in those Nascars.....a little better reason to slow them down, it certainly had nothing to do with costs or equipment failure.

Stock needs to return to the PRIVATEER class.......not the beginner class....beginners race in novice....and when they step up, they are a racer like everyone else...

Later EddieO
Thank-you... we are still talking about toy cars right?

comparing RC cars to Nascar is like comparing RC planes to Jet Fighters -

Great point ... STOCK should be the privateer class at major events, with 19T and MOD being where the factory sponsored drivers race.

The reality is that MOD is for the ELITE. It takes a special nutcase to run this class and there are novice, stock and 19-turn for the rest of us. Slowing down a class that is considered the premier of the hobby to a level of a competitive 19T class doesn't make sense? What's the point really ... I think the strongest arguement is that the equipment (ESC's) cannot handle the power that today's batteries are delivering to the motors. That is a problem for the Novak's and LRP's of the world to fix - and the one that does the quickest will get the lions share of the $$$ that we spend.

The battery matchers, motor builders, and all involved in the hobby have done so much R&D over the years to get our cars/equipment to this level of performance - why are we even talking about going backwards and reducing the cells we put into our TC's? Let the loonies that want to run MOD - do so without limitations, that is what this class is for. 19T and stock are the limited classes.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 AM   #172
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Pick up the phone and talk to more people. The owners of companies not racers or distributors
No offence Adrian, but do you really think the guys that own the companies (and watch the bottome line) really know better than the guys who actually race, week in week out, and actually use the products??

Just want to add, I do respect your opinion.. but on this subject, I personally feel that you are a little misguided (this isn't ment as a personal attack, just a difference of opinion).
So far the overwhelming reaction is against a change to 4cell (admittedly, a forums population is very small compared to the total number of racers... but it certainly indicates something).
Old 10-17-2006, 03:50 AM   #173
Tech Master

Quote:
Nobody is eager? I guess I am nobody now.....

And there are other companies who can make motors.....sagami isn't the only game in town now....plenty of chinese companies out there willing to do work....not to mention we have already seen a partial depature from sagami by Orion and Checkpoint with the endbells....

And the TDK magnets can be bought by anyone directly from TDK.....its a magnet in there standard catalog....FB9.

Sagami has nice fat 5 segment armatures......and I have some on the way.....

I talked to Oscar about the 4 cell thing.......he seems to think it doesn't do much but eliminate Lipo from the market.....IR is a bigger problem than the voltage in his mind......after a little testing, I agree with him.....

Motor wind limits don't work......the motors actually wear out faster, not to mention cheating runs rampant.....

Open technology rules for motors can fix stuff from blowing up......Speed Controls simply need to get BIGGER, so they can fit bigger more pricey fets....

I have never figured out why people want to go slow......I know none of my top dogs want to go slower.....probably just the pussies who can't keep up.

And while the tekin motor ran well......the Novak's ran just as well.....this was a very small track.....certainly not National Level race conditions.....not a really good comparison.....not to mention, from my understanding the tekin unit won't be ROAR legal....

And for the record.....Brushless and Lipos are not going to fix these supposed problems........you are blind if you think that.....expanding ALL techonology is what does it.....no one item is a fix.....

Tired of this crap from ROAR?? IFMAR??? I am running for ROAR President.....make the vote and members will be involved in major decisions like this under my watch....

Later EddieO
Finally someone who I agree with ! It's not the amount of cells it's the motor technology, including brushed and brushless.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:09 AM   #174
Tech Adept

Who wants to go slow? I don't really see anybody here saying that THEY want to slow down.

The problem is that with TC, Stock is too fast for new racers to start in. Don't give me all the crap about special Novice or other 540 or Stinger motor classes. We don't need more classes. Many tracks are already fighting to get enough racers to stay open. A Novice, 540 or Stinger class always comes with a stigma attached and you REALLY struggle to get people to enter it, or stick with it long enough to build their skills. So, even if you have the class, it is usually small to non-existant.

The other problem with these other Novice type classes is that they do not have a nationally recognized set of rules. We all know about Stock, 19t and Mod. These are well documented in the ROAR rule book.

When I started, there were two classes, Stock and Mod. Now, technically, we have three, Stock, 19t and Mod. At my local tracks, we would struggle to get more than 2 or 3 people to run either 19t or Mod, usually not getting enough so we HAD to run stock or not race. Everybody wanted to run stock. (This included national championship level racers continuing to run stock at local club races.) I don't think this was all about sponsors making their drivers run Stock, especially at club races. We only had 1 or 2 top level racers that stayed in stock.

So, even though we technically have 3 classes, realistically, we only have 1. Not the best atmosphere for the new racer to enter. I will change my earlier statement saying that Stock should be for beginners and agree that it should be for Privateers.

Wouldn't it be nice to see 100 racers at a regular club race every weekend again? Our hobby is shrinking dramatically, it's time for a change.
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:07 AM   #175
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Stock used to be significaltly slower than mod during the closed endbell days, I swear that a stock motor from today is as fast as a 14 turn Mod from 15 years ago...
Old 10-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #176
Tech Legend

Quote:
This isn't Nascar.....its not planes, its not boats......there are actually PEOPLE in those Nascars.....a little better reason to slow them down, it certainly had nothing to do with costs or equipment failure.

Later EddieO

You don`t get it Eddie ....

These novices that get booted into the stock class`s leave only after a short time racing ....

They leave because they believe the effort to compete against tuner sponsored driver`s with year`s of experience are not worth the effort .....

These sponsored stock driver`s are ruining the stock program with them taking away the chance of a win for the beginner.....

You of all people need to realize stock is the entry level event in our sport....

This is fact you seem to ignore....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #177
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

These novices that get booted into the stock class`s leave only after a short time racing ....

They leave because they believe the effort to compete against tuner sponsored driver`s with year`s of experience are not worth the effort .....

These sponsored stock driver`s are ruining the stock program with them taking away the chance of a win for the beginner.....

You of all people need to realize stock is the entry level event in our sport....

Isn't that what Eddie just said?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #178
Tech Legend

No !!

Eddie thinks it Ok to have a sponsored tuner driver winning all the club races ...

He thinks the beginner should have to learn, get beat for year`s until they to become a sponsored tuner driver them selves and win club stock week after week ...
He is ignoring the fact stock is a entry level race program for our sport...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #179
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

I'm sorry, this is not something you can legislate. Peer pressure is the ONLY way to keep the fast guys out of Stock at the club level. If that fails, start a sporstman stock class. We use peer pressure locally to get the "Fast" guys out of the "Expert" Stock classes and into 19T and hopefully Mod. It takes time and pressure to make them jump to the next class. If they don't want to move up then you can't make them. Last I heard we still live in a free country.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #180
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:

Later EddieO
This sounds to me like Eddie DOESN"T want the sponsored racers in the stock class. Maybe I just have a different idea what PRIVATEER means than you do.