R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #61
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
Interesting perspective Ernie - however, when dealing with peer-reviewed, gold standard medical research, the possibilities of skewed results is as close to impossible as you can get. With relation to overuse of caffeine, there is well documented research showing that overuse (over 250 mg in a short period of time) can lead to caffeine intoxication, with symptoms including: restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation. Not fear-mongering … fact.

For those that are drinking several multiple cups a day (30-40 as you have mentioned) their adrenals are already so shot that I feel bad for them when dire need sets in and prescription medication does not work for them… again, not fear-mongering, FACT!

You speak of the common sense filter, back in the 60’s / 70’s, it was believed that (through common sense, mind-you) that second-hand smoke does not harm anyone … science has shown that to be different. Common sense is usually based on learnings that have been acquired through the knowledge available to you – and being able to make your judgment accordingly. I agree, CNN can lead to false awareness of the truth around you – however, when dealing with sound research (through true science) showing that OVERUSE of caffeine can lead to some serious health concerns, we should stand-up and take notice.

Contradictions of science… or is it new information made available so that consumers can make more educated choices. Again – with all due respect, I doubt you are reading the latest issues of JAMA so what you are exposed to is what the media chooses as the “topic of the day” (supporting your CNN theory). I can see your point regarding “old news” and the media’s choice to exploit it’s viewers / listeners / readers … however, no-one is stopping consumers from completing their own research (google is a beautiful thing).

I agree – if something bothers you, don’t do it … and stress does cause some serious damage … but I also believe that we (the public) should educate ourselves as to why something causes the actions or reactions that they do and make our decisions based on education.
Well; the original question was "Does drinking a lot of Coffee affect you as a driver"? My answer is "It depends upon you, and you individual reaction to caffeine. Different things affect different people differently. Use you common sense; and don't let yourself be stampeded into believing a lot of BS. If it bothers you, don't do it. If it doesn't; have a ball". So far, I see no reason to modify that position.

You said "With relation to overuse of caffeine, there is well documented research showing that overuse (over 250 mg in a short period of time) can lead to caffeine intoxication, with symptoms including: restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation. Not fear-mongering … fact". To me, the key disclaimer in your statement is "can lead to". That means "It may happen. And then again, it may not". If this was an exact science, you wouldn't have to add "can lead to". You'd be saying "Will lead to".

Your belief that "when dealing with peer-reviewed, gold standard medical research, the possibilities of skewed results is as close to impossible as you can get" flies in the face of one simple fact: The results are interpreted by human beings. Those human beings aren't always totally objective. As I said, the past is replete with examples of bad science. DDT; Saccharine: Licorice; Predictions of a new ice age; and the list goes on.

Every other week, there's a new study that (when interpreted) predicts dire consequences for the human race. But, somehow, we struggle along. And we will continue to do so. Having said that, I think I'll go have a cup of coffee; light up a cigarette; kick back and relax for a few minutes; and offer a toast to my Uncle Red. Red drank coffee all day long; smoked heavily; hit the bottle hard; and it finally killed him... at age 97. And just for the record, Red went out the way we all say we're going to go. And it scared the heck out of the lady he was with.

Don't get too wrapped up in this stuff. Take a deep breath; relax; and stay calm. It's going to be okay. (-: Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #62
Tech Elite
 
Victor Vector's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Over Here
Posts: 2,788
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

All of this is so wide open to interpretation, The only measure needed is the ability to recognize your bodies feed back and act on it. There are so many contributing factors in life, it's most times difficult to interpret the correct way of dealing the best path for ones self.

Most of the time, I feel like an amoeba; just give a wriggle and split down the middle. And in the mean time.....

Have a cuppa tea...have another one. Have a cuppa tea.

Victor Vector
__________________
Jack Balchin.
Timezone Hooligan
IBEW Local 48-retired (Definitely, great pension.)
Victor Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #63
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Vector
All of this is so wide open to interpretation, The only measure needed is the ability to recognize your bodies feed back and act on it. There are so many contributing factors in life, it's most times difficult to interpret the correct way of dealing the best path for ones self.

Most of the time, I feel like an amoeba; just give a wriggle and split down the middle. And in the mean time.....

Have a cuppa tea...have another one. Have a cuppa tea.

Victor Vector
Exactly. Thanks; Ernie P.
Ernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #64
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 450
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Science?

Since the subject of scientific studies was memntioned, I did a quick web search of "coffee + health". I feel much better, now. It looks like coffee is good to go. In fact, some current studies indicate reason to believe coffee may, in fact, be a health benefit. Isn't science wonderful? Thanks; Ernie P.

Check out http://www.ineedcoffee.com/06/day/

Quote:
When coffee first came to Europe from Constantinople in 1615, Viennese priests warned it was "the drink of infidels." The warnings in recent times have come from scientists, pseudo-scientists, and governments.

For most of the last half century, coffee was a health pariah, suspected of causing everything from breast, colon and pancreatic cancer to heart disease, infertility and birth defects. To get to the bottom of often wild speculation based on the flimsiest of evidence, the medical world swung into action in the 1980s and 1990s, with many of the world's leading scientists and research bodies investigating coffee's effects on health.

Today, some 19,000 studies later, it is clear that most past concerns didn't amount to a hill of beans. The great preponderance of evidence has lain to rest virtually all coffee-related health concerns.

Check out http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...ealth_risk.htm
Quote
Despite 20 years of reassuring research, many people still avoid caffeinated coffee because they worry about its health effects. However, current research reveals that in moderation—a few cups a day—coffee is a safe beverage that may even offer some health benefits. The September issue of Harvard Women's Health Watch weighs the pros and cons of this popular beverage and eases the concerns of moderate coffee drinkers.

The latest research has not only confirmed that moderate coffee consumption doesn't cause harm, it's also uncovered possible benefits.
Ernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #65
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,300
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Ernie... where in my posts have I mentioned that regular use is harmful? I think you are suffering from a thing called selective reading - or your focus is not too clear ... looks like coffee is not doing so well with your system...

As for the science - YES, conservative use of coffee (not caffeine) has its benefits, I don't think anyone is arguing this... rather (and please re-read my posts again) I am only offering some education on overuse of caffeine (i.e. as per the 250 mg in a short timeframe). BTW - what you have posted supporting your coffee claim is a PRESS RELEASE - not a study... (just to make a point, you contradicted yourself). PRESS RELEASES are drafted and circulated by someone looking for attention for the product they are promoting... in the example you provided a study which is looking for some funding. This kinda sounds a comment made in your earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie P.
I wouldn't begin to dispute your assertion about "science that backs-up certain claims". However, I have also seen a lot of "science" that is simply BS. Things that are simply and demonstrably not true; presented by people with agendas and/or seeking funding.
Thanks; Ernie P.
Select your references carefully -

I completely agree that controlled use of coffee to help "wake-up" is fine for most - however, I am only providing options to show that there are alternatives if you have concerns as some have mentioned in this thread earlier.

Why are you so defensive about this anyhow - is Trinity launching a coffee soon?

BTW - since I am not a heavy coffee drinker (actually not one at all) - trust me, I am relaxed....
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 AM   #66
Tech Elite
 
Glowster21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,493
Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb
I like to wack off just before my race. REALLY calms the nerves. .
Dawg...If you start doing this I'm not shaking your hand any more before or after the mains!!!
Glowster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:28 AM   #67
Tech Elite
 
dr_hfuhuhurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,502
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie P.
"I never knew he drank; until I saw him sober once". Anon.
LMAO

I've heard some tire compounds have been known to cause cancer in California. Good thing I'm not in California.
__________________
"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Which side are you on?"

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #68
Tech Elite
 
Greg Sharpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ...building minis
Posts: 3,237
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

I hear sleep is good for driving too. We'd need to run the Snowbird Nationals over an entire calendar year to get the prescribed 8 hours of sleep per participant!
__________________
Why don't we endurance race more often?
Greg Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coffee Shop for 1/8 RC Offroad mikeychenchiulu Indonesia Racing 10180 11-29-2013 04:39 PM
Milwaukee 2.4v power driver with batt and charger... High quality driver. PIC INSIDE SCUBA STEVE R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 01-24-2008 09:42 AM
7th & 8th grade serving coffee onnetz Chat Lounge 31 01-28-2006 03:47 PM
Coffee Escapade!!!!!!! Platinum_Racing Chat Lounge 5 11-22-2005 01:23 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:02 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net