R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #46
Tech Addict

I used to drink 6 -7 Red bulls per day around a year and a half ago. I basically got addicted because when i tried to not drink the stuff i got terrible headaches and couldnt sleep and was just in a bad mood 99% of the time. Took about 2-3 weeks to get over it and i now only drink it with vodka on a night out.

I also used to drink it before racing in both RC and Karting, ive stopped since because i found i got too nervous and was also very inconsistent with my driving.

I now stick to water or fruit juices, i havent heard of these vitamin type energy boosters you speak of, are they an american product or are there similar products available in the uk?

Ive always been interested in human performance and what can influence it, so if there is something that can help me concentrate harder and longer and in the end go faster then i would like to know about it.
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ernie - when it comes to the human body, there is science that backs-up certain claims... with regards to caffeine and it's overuse, there are well-cited clinical trials that fully supports both the positive and negative effects. From a practical standpoint, I have seen HUGE improvements in high performance athletes that have switched off of using caffeine to boost their energy and onto other products.

Like you said though, if you do not have a problem with caffeine - don't worry about it - however, the size of the population that does have a problem is growing significantly. There are better alternatives to caffeine that are safer for you in the long run that will not give you the "jitters" as a couple have complained of on here already.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Over the summer I did nothing but martial arts, eat health and sleep. I started by stop drinking soda. Man was it hard! I often would be shoving candy down my throught to make up for the sugar I lost from not drinking soda. After a while I got used to drinking very bland water and green tea. Next stop, eating healthy. This is the real hard part. One week I eat fruits and vegtables, the next I am eating fried chicken and fish. I still dont exactly eat right yet, but now I feel alot better now because it is my policy to not eat any thing with over 5 grams of sugar. I dont use artifical sugar either. Now I feel 10 times healther than before. Last year my docter figured that my height to growth ratio would stay about the same, 1 inch is equal to 5 pounds. I grew 3 inches since last year and have only added 4 pounds to my body. Just a side thought, the vending machine at the track to day did not have water or green tea. I thought I would go crazy. I just had to settle for a Brisk iced tea, which is 10 times worse than Propel Fitness water. Since in my mind Propel is the worst tasting thing on the planet, Brisk is pretty bad.
-SK
Old 10-08-2006, 05:09 AM   #49
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Response to Duckman996

I wouldn't begin to dispute your assertion about "science that backs-up certain claims". However, I have also seen a lot of "science" that is simply BS. Things that are simply and demonstrably not true; presented by people with agendas and/or seeking funding. We can start with DDT and Saccharine in the 60's; the licorice poison stories and predictions of a new ice age (triggered by man's activities, of course) in the 70's; MSG in the 80's; and work our way through to the latest "Things that will kill you, unless you do as we say and fund our research" stories in the papers last week.

The *ONLY* thing I am saying is that all these things need to be put through your own common sense filter. If it seems bogus, it may well be bogus. I personally know people very susceptible to caffeine. One cup and it affects them. I also know people who drink 30 - 40 cups a day, stay calm and relaxed and sleep like a baby. And I know a great many people who are very clearly affected by whatever "scare of the week" thing was reported in the papers this morning. And they didn't realize XYZ was killing them, until they saw it on CNN!

There is more bogus science out there than most of us realize. What is amazing to me personally, is how often this year's science contradicts last year's science. Why? Well, you can't sell old news.

Relax, and use some common sense. If it bothers you, don't do it. If it doesn't, enjoy. And remember... stress kills more of us than anything else. Thanks; Ernie P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
Ernie - when it comes to the human body, there is science that backs-up certain claims... with regards to caffeine and it's overuse, there are well-cited clinical trials that fully supports both the positive and negative effects. From a practical standpoint, I have seen HUGE improvements in high performance athletes that have switched off of using caffeine to boost their energy and onto other products.

Like you said though, if you do not have a problem with caffeine - don't worry about it - however, the size of the population that does have a problem is growing significantly. There are better alternatives to caffeine that are safer for you in the long run that will not give you the "jitters" as a couple have complained of on here already.
Ernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:35 AM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Damn, none of you guys would make it as a shift worker! Coffee and Energy drinks get me through those nights shifts. I normally will stop and pick up a Amp or whatever on my way to the track to wake up, some mornings I will have a coffe instead, but the only time I see any difference in track performance is when I don't have either. You could always try aderall!

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 05:50 AM   #51
Tech Rookie

Hi

I used to ride Motocross, and it was very hard to keep up mentally and physically between the heats, so on a single day i drank about 2 liters of Red Bull. but when I got home, i sleeped almost 15 hours straight it was weird. tried drinking Red bull at rc meetings, but cant focus.

at the moment the only thing I will drink is Water and a couple of Ginseng shots every morning, im feeling fine and at the huge rc-meetings i'm 100% focused.

Cheers

the only place for Red bull, is in Vodka/Grenadine at the late Nights.
trf 415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #52
Tech Master

Yesterday I drank a YOHOO before my last heat and got tired. So I chewed a Vivarin and man - I was wired. Got my best run... might start a new trend??!!!
RCThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #53
Tech Apprentice

I think the YOHOO made you sleepy because milk based drinks contian MELATONIN (warm yohoo would contain more). Melatonin is natural and is released in higher levels in our bodies when our brain tells us its time for sleep,which is why it is belived giving a baby warm milk will help put them to sleep.
I dont think r/c racing needs yohoo as official drink sponsor, unless cots are going to be a new pit essentials.

As to a previous statement in this disscusion about caffeine being more addictive than Mary-J, caffeine most certianly is. Two entirely different addictions.
CAFFEINE=Physical addiction M-J=Mental addiction
Dtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie P.
I wouldn't begin to dispute your assertion about "science that backs-up certain claims". However, I have also seen a lot of "science" that is simply BS. Things that are simply and demonstrably not true; presented by people with agendas and/or seeking funding. We can start with DDT and Saccharine in the 60's; the licorice poison stories and predictions of a new ice age (triggered by man's activities, of course) in the 70's; MSG in the 80's; and work our way through to the latest "Things that will kill you, unless you do as we say and fund our research" stories in the papers last week.

The *ONLY* thing I am saying is that all these things need to be put through your own common sense filter. If it seems bogus, it may well be bogus. I personally know people very susceptible to caffeine. One cup and it affects them. I also know people who drink 30 - 40 cups a day, stay calm and relaxed and sleep like a baby. And I know a great many people who are very clearly affected by whatever "scare of the week" thing was reported in the papers this morning. And they didn't realize XYZ was killing them, until they saw it on CNN!

There is more bogus science out there than most of us realize. What is amazing to me personally, is how often this year's science contradicts last year's science. Why? Well, you can't sell old news.

Relax, and use some common sense. If it bothers you, don't do it. If it doesn't, enjoy. And remember... stress kills more of us than anything else. Thanks; Ernie P.
Interesting perspective Ernie - however, when dealing with peer-reviewed, gold standard medical research, the possibilities of skewed results is as close to impossible as you can get. With relation to overuse of caffeine, there is well documented research showing that overuse (over 250 mg in a short period of time) can lead to caffeine intoxication, with symptoms including: restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation. Not fear-mongering … fact.

For those that are drinking several multiple cups a day (30-40 as you have mentioned) their adrenals are already so shot that I feel bad for them when dire need sets in and prescription medication does not work for them… again, not fear-mongering, FACT!

You speak of the common sense filter, back in the 60’s / 70’s, it was believed that (through common sense, mind-you) that second-hand smoke does not harm anyone … science has shown that to be different. Common sense is usually based on learnings that have been acquired through the knowledge available to you – and being able to make your judgment accordingly. I agree, CNN can lead to false awareness of the truth around you – however, when dealing with sound research (through true science) showing that OVERUSE of caffeine can lead to some serious health concerns, we should stand-up and take notice.

Contradictions of science… or is it new information made available so that consumers can make more educated choices. Again – with all due respect, I doubt you are reading the latest issues of JAMA so what you are exposed to is what the media chooses as the “topic of the day” (supporting your CNN theory). I can see your point regarding “old news” and the media’s choice to exploit it’s viewers / listeners / readers … however, no-one is stopping consumers from completing their own research (google is a beautiful thing).

I agree – if something bothers you, don’t do it … and stress does cause some serious damage … but I also believe that we (the public) should educate ourselves as to why something causes the actions or reactions that they do and make our decisions based on education.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #55
Tech Elite

Did you know...
-Coffee has more antioxidents than green tea
-Coffee increases your risk of heart attack and heart failure
Old 10-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarpetRacer93
Did you know...
Antioxidents are a GOOD thing... 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day have been shown to be benificial for healthy individuals, it's the 5-8 cups per day drinkers that can have some problems.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
Antioxidents are a GOOD thing... 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day have been shown to be benificial for healthy individuals, it's the 5-8 cups per day drinkers that can have some problems.
Yeah I know.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:12 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarpetRacer93
Did you know...
More antioxidants ? could you prove it ?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:04 AM   #59
Tech Champion

Cigs,red bull or coffee usually help me,the cigs mellow me out the most though if im having a real bad day. (missing all the heats bar one then missing the A by a few tenths being a good example,suprised I didnt smoke a whole packet,lol)

None of them are healthy I know,but if they help you then im a firm believer that anything is ok.... in moderation

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #60
Tech Addict

All those things are good and nice, but I do something that helps ALOT!
I do a little mindgame that seem to have a positive reaction.
I try to vizualize the track in my head. Most of the time I do that the night before racing when lying in bed. I close my eyes and I vizualize that I'm standing on the drivers stand and controlling the car, trying to make a perfect lap after another.
I personaly can't do it with a transmitter in my hand, I simply don't know which side I would have to steer, that's something I do automaticly.
I know it sounds strange, but it really does help alot. Your so much more prepared, and the more you are prepared the better it is.