R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore
Yeah - I have had to take them for a recent foot surgery. I must admit -- I was on them at the IIC and my knee caps didn't shake once... I was extremely calm for being at such a huge event.
I didn't take anything before my stock main in Vegas and almost had to pull the car off from my back spasming so bad.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Helps me make it throught the nights/week at the Snowbirds

-E
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
So who goin' to be the first to market energy drink toward Rc driving, Let me make the first suggestion

RC Crack Juice
Crack the competition not your concentration
Its been done. Ever hear of RC Cola?
WinnipegRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:53 PM   #34
Tech Rookie

i was the occasional marlboro smoke in high school, and since then i have quit, but i found that if i have one before the a-main it helps lower the stress/anxiety level. but my new thing is to have my ipod playing in just one ear so i can listen to the music and whatever is going on aroud me. caffine makes me too jittery, but if i have an energy drink an hour before i get to the track then it usually wears down as the mains come up.

http://rctech.net/forum/newreply.php...e=1&p=2708394#
flaming mad
dave_dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Any stimulant based item (coffee, cola, etc) is going to throw your timing off. Caffeine can actually over stimulate you and rather then help clear your focus and make you more alert… it can make you anxious, and increase your nervousness.

... the best thing to do is make sure you are:

1) ... never racing hungry. As you start to lose fuel, you actually start to decrease the supply of blood sugar to your brain (not good)... especially for some of us. Lower glucose (blood sugar) levels causes that foggy feeling which in turn will increase the chances that you are going to lose concentration.

2) ... well hydrated. If you are only drinking when you are thirsty, its too late. Dehydration is actually one of the largest reasons to mental fatigue (along with decreased blood sugar and oxygen being delivered to the brain). Best is water... followed by fruit juices / and replenishment type drinks (Poweraid, etc.). Worst is cola type drinks – especially those caffeine-loaded energy drinks.

3) Lastly, if you want a boost - try a non-stimulant based product (like the one I mentioned in my previous post). There are some really interesting studies supporting the use of Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng, and Vinpocetine - as well as Huperzine A to increase mental focus.

Yes - I am a trainer ... I have worked with some really high-end (higher performance) athletes where supplements were key to them performing at their best. A lot of this stuff applies here as well since concentration is so key in this hobby.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Are these drinks/drugs ROAR legal? LOL
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

It makes me drive faster because I need to go and make a pitstop.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Along with coffee every morning at Snowbirds, I have to do a shot of Redbull & orange juice before the first pratice/qualifier/race/main of each day just to wake up. Don't get used to this stuff, it's like a really mild drug addiction. (but it's kinda funny to shake sitting still )
Old 10-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Last yr in Vegas at the IIC I had some energy drinks on thur morning w/o eating anything. Well that woke me up a bit but when I went on the drivers stand, I was shaking like crazy, the stand was just a stage and I felt like I was gonna fall on my face on the track.. I could feel my heart beat like crazy, legs were doing there own dance. I thought I was just nervous of being at the big event so I had some more the next morning.. I hit rock bottom that weekend. This yr the drivers stand was nice and I stayed away from energy drinks/coffee and it was better!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....
Old 10-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara
Are these drinks/drugs ROAR legal? LOL
Old 10-07-2006, 12:41 AM   #41
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I haven't had sugar since Thanksgiving. I cut out caffeine about 6 months ago. I switched from beer to vodka+soda. I've never felt better in my life than I do right now.

I was drinking diet Red Bull after work on my way to the track before our club races to wake up, and it seriously affected my concentration and driving. Now I stick to water and drive much cleaner, and more consistent.

As for energy, try ZipFizz. It's expensive, but those things never fail to give me a boost when I need it, and it's just vitamins.

Stimulants like caffeine are the devil. Get off them and you won't need them. Read up on it, that stuff has a lot of subtle, but negative effects. It's two weeks of hell to break the addiction, but then you're free. And, you can still have a cup of coffee now and then without it ruining your day.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 07:57 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dal bains
Last yr in Vegas at the IIC I had some energy drinks on thur morning w/o eating anything. Well that woke me up a bit but when I went on the drivers stand, I was shaking like crazy, the stand was just a stage and I felt like I was gonna fall on my face on the track.. I could feel my heart beat like crazy, legs were doing there own dance. I thought I was just nervous of being at the big event so I had some more the next morning.. I hit rock bottom that weekend. This yr the drivers stand was nice and I stayed away from energy drinks/coffee and it was better!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....
LOL ...and you forgot to tell the part where you rebuilt your diff 4 times in 10 minutes
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I haven't had sugar since Thanksgiving. I cut out caffeine about 6 months ago. I switched from beer to vodka+soda. I've never felt better in my life than I do right now.

I was drinking diet Red Bull after work on my way to the track before our club races to wake up, and it seriously affected my concentration and driving. Now I stick to water and drive much cleaner, and more consistent.

As for energy, try ZipFizz. It's expensive, but those things never fail to give me a boost when I need it, and it's just vitamins.

Stimulants like caffeine are the devil. Get off them and you won't need them. Read up on it, that stuff has a lot of subtle, but negative effects. It's two weeks of hell to break the addiction, but then you're free. And, you can still have a cup of coffee now and then without it ruining your day.
Congrats on breaking the addiction... caffeine has actually been cited as being more addictive then mary-j. Funny - huh.

I have spoken with some people that have used zipfizz in the past with mixed results, good to see a positive testimonial for it.

I don't know if you are aware - zipfizz does contain guarana extract, a source for caffeine ... actually, guarana beans contain twice the caffeine as coffee beans?

No wonder it has given you a kick in the pants.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 09:58 AM   #44
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Heh, I didn't realize zipfizz has caffeine in it. That would explain the boost, as you said. And here I thought it was vitamins! Glad I don't take them too often.

There's definitely a boost you can get from caffeine, but it comes at the expense of feeling right later on. If you don't drink it regularly, you notice the boost a lot more when you do, as well as its effects afterwards.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default No Coffee?

To know whether coffee affects me I'd have to go without coffee once, to get a baseline. I've never done that. Never saw a reason to try.

Different things affect different people differently. If it bothers you, don't do it. If it doesn't, why worry?

The only thing I know positively, is that the opinions I hear, here and elsewhere, are 98% supposition and 2% fact. Thanks; Ernie P.

"I never knew he drank; until I saw him sober once". Anon.
Ernie P. is offline   Reply With Quote