Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anyone running Dyno Programs on MacBook? >

Anyone running Dyno Programs on MacBook?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone running Dyno Programs on MacBook?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Anyone running Dyno Programs on MacBook?

I am thinking about switching to an Apple intel based laptop, installing bootcamp with a Windows XP partition, but want to make sure that the Fantom Dyno program and the Robitronic Dyno programs will still work. Anyone have experience with this firsthand to confirm everything works OK?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
I am thinking about switching to an Apple intel based laptop, installing bootcamp with a Windows XP partition, but want to make sure that the Fantom Dyno program and the Robitronic Dyno programs will still work. Anyone have experience with this firsthand to confirm everything works OK?
Don't those programs connect using a serial cable? If so, you'll need to see if you can make them work with a serial to USB adapter, since the MacBook (and almost all modern laptops) don't include a true serial port.

The Bootcamp thing works great, though. You might even be able to trick it into working with Parallels workstation (if the dyno supports USB) so you don't ever have to leave OS X. It just runs a virtualized windows OS in a window at nearly native speeds. Since they're using Intel processors now, they can use virtualization and hot have to translate all the system calls from PPC to x86. Zing!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Don't those programs connect using a serial cable? If so, you'll need to see if you can make them work with a serial to USB adapter, since the MacBook (and almost all modern laptops) don't include a true serial port.

The Bootcamp thing works great, though. You might even be able to trick it into working with Parallels workstation (if the dyno supports USB) so you don't ever have to leave OS X. It just runs a virtualized windows OS in a window at nearly native speeds. Since they're using Intel processors now, they can use virtualization and hot have to translate all the system calls from PPC to x86. Zing!
Yes, the dynos are both serial interface. Both work fine on Windows XP on a laptop without a serial interface by using a serial to usb adapter (belkin's works fine).

I take it you have an apple intel running bootcamp or Parallels ?

I'm looking for someone who has actually tried running a serial to usb adapter on an apple running bootcamp or parallels. I suspect if you can get the adapter working under bootcamp, running the dyno program will work as well.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
Yes, the dynos are both serial interface. Both work fine on Windows XP on a laptop without a serial interface by using a serial to usb adapter (belkin's works fine).

I take it you have an apple intel running bootcamp or Parallels ?

I'm looking for someone who has actually tried running a serial to usb adapter on an apple running bootcamp or parallels. I suspect if you can get the adapter working under bootcamp, running the dyno program will work as well.
Ah, good to know about the serial to USB thing. I haven't used the dyno on my MacBook Pro, but I have used USB to serial to connect to the consoles of routers and servers through OS X. Presumably, it would work the same when running Windows through bootcamp since you're actually booted into the OS, and it runs basically like any other machine. I'm able to do things like use the USB adapter for Virtual RC and play it at full speed when booted into Windows. I don't know if you could make it work with Parallels or not, there's a lot of layers to get through with emulated hardware and such. I suppose it should, in theory. If I had a dyno, I'd try it for you.

Not sure if this will aid your quest or not:
http://www.ciscoblog.com/archives/20....html#comments