Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
what is the diff btwn protoform stratus 3.0 carpet and all purpose body >

what is the diff btwn protoform stratus 3.0 carpet and all purpose body

what is the diff btwn protoform stratus 3.0 carpet and all purpose body

Reply

Old 10-05-2006, 12:51 AM
  #1  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (52)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 858
Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default what is the diff btwn protoform stratus 3.0 carpet and all purpose body

Hi Guys,

what is the diff btwn protoform stratus 3.0 carpet and all purpose body? I just ordered a stratus 3.0 from Tower. After I cut and paint I noticed that at the top of the windshield it says carpet. What the fxxx ? They did not say it is for carpet in the description.

I am planning on running at socal asphalt surface. Will this body work the same as the all purpose stratus 3.0? There are two humps on the front hood for the shock towers. Thanks in advance.
straightaway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:20 AM
  #2  
Tech Addict
 
fathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Auckland NZ
Posts: 600
Default

I believe the carpet version has slightly less downforce than the AP version
fathead is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 AM
  #3  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ROAR HAD ME BANNED FROM RC TECH.
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Yep, less downforce up front, keeps the car from burying itself as bad on carpet. The two humps are for adjusting the downforce, the AP version is the same except for this and the hood area is a little "wider."

It should work on asphalt, but it probably won't have as much steering as the all purpose one..it should work okay though. Blow it up and buy another one.
Desolas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 AM
  #4  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (52)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 858
Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default

Thanks guys.

I will just have to get a AP stratus. I use the stratus 3.1 on my mtx3 and I like it more than the Mazda. That is why I got one to try.
straightaway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:22 AM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,312
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Desolas
Yep, less downforce up front, keeps the car from burying itself as bad on carpet. The two humps are for adjusting the downforce, the AP version is the same except for this and the hood area is a little "wider."

It should work on asphalt, but it probably won't have as much steering as the all purpose one..it should work okay though. Blow it up and buy another one.
I thought the 2 humps were to clear the shocks so you could run the body lower?
duckman996 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 PM
  #6  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ROAR HAD ME BANNED FROM RC TECH.
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I thought the 2 humps were to clear the shocks so you could run the body lower?
Not that I can find it now but I thought I read that the modification was to change the air flow over the hood, decreasing downforce some, as well as rounding off the hood to fender transition so the air "rolls off" more. I think it was in a XRC interview with Dale Epp.

You can run the AP version slammed too. ... In the end though I could very well have my head up my ass.
Desolas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:19 PM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (115)
 
nf_ekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Posts: 4,650
Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by straightaway
Hi Guys,

what is the diff btwn protoform stratus 3.0 carpet and all purpose body? I just ordered a stratus 3.0 from Tower. After I cut and paint I noticed that at the top of the windshield it says carpet. What the fxxx ? They did not say it is for carpet in the description.

I am planning on running at socal asphalt surface. Will this body work the same as the all purpose stratus 3.0? There are two humps on the front hood for the shock towers. Thanks in advance.
I had a AP 3.0 and it steered like crazy, got the carpet version and it felt more comfortable to me. On asphalt. Your not gonna lose a race because of the shell being for carpet. Try it then get the AP and see if your slower. One might feel better than the other.
nf_ekt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:17 PM
  #8  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (52)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: socal
Posts: 858
Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default

Thanks guys.

I went to ultimate hobby and got a AP 3.0. I am painting it now (my usual two color 1 minute paint job). I will take both to socal tomorrow to try. My MRE understeers a little with the Mazda body so maybe running a Stratus will help.
straightaway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:15 AM
  #9  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: ROAR HAD ME BANNED FROM RC TECH.
Posts: 2,025
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

My MRE understeers a little with the Mazda body so maybe running a Stratus will help.
I'd be interested in hearing how it works compared to a Mazda6 .. I personally run the Mazda to get more steering. Rotates better than the Dodge does IMO.
Desolas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:37 PM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,312
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Desolas
as well as rounding off the hood to fender transition so the air "rolls off" more. I think it was in a XRC interview with Dale Epp.
This does sound familular...
duckman996 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service