R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 PM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
Way to support ROAR cherry......don't get your way and stomp your feet...way to promote racing. I am sure the new guys love the outlook you give....you do know what a hypocrit is right cherry? If not.....look in the mirror....

Later EddieO

Eddie, did you just defend ROAR???

THIS IS A FOX NEWS ALERT........

jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I started flying electric airplanes this summer. There's no doubt in my mind that LiPo will make it into RC racing, but not yet. Higher voltage and lighter weight gives them a distinct advantage over NiMH. ROAR has to follow the current rules for approving batteries and then figure out how to phase in LiPo.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #48
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Quote:

Way to support ROAR cherry......don't get your way and stomp your feet...way to promote racing. I am sure the new guys love the outlook you give....you do know what a hypocrit is right cherry? If not.....look in the mirror....

Later EddieO
Or he can look at his useless posts in the NW section, or on every ROAR thread complaining about having to buy a PT to run at Stock Nats and never even shows up after he is offered to borrow many.

George mr big supporter instead of complaining why not create a solution? You alwys complain but I have yet to see a solution to any of the ROAR issues you b!tch about..
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:57 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Default ROAR BATTERY APPROVALS

I don't know how long they have been up but I checked this morning and the list has been updated. Also searched for any other threads but didn't find any specific approval ones.

FUSION Fusion Power 4200 (black shrink w/flames) 1/1/2007
GP GP 4300 (red/green shrink) 1/1/2007
GP Yokomo ZAP2 GP4300 (yellow/blue shrink) 1/1/2007
GP GP 4300 (orange/green shrink) 1/1/2007
IB Intellect World Champ.4200 (blue shrink w/silver-white trim+ gold WC sticker) 1/1/2007
IB Yokomo ZAP2 4200 (lt. blue shrink w/yellow bolt, black trim) 1/1/2007
IB Intellect 4200 (blue shrink w/silver-white trim) 1/1/2007
IB Intellect SHV 4200 (blue shrink w/silver-white trim+ gold SHV sticker) 1/1/2007
IB Intellect World Champions 4200 (same w/gold WC sticker) 1/1/2007
IB IB Power 4200 (Epic white shrink w/red-black trim) 1/1/2007
IB Yokomo ZAP2 4200 (light blue w/yellow bolt, black trim) 1/1/2007
IP Infinite Power 4200 (red shrink w/white & silver trim) 1/1/2007
LRP VTEC 4200 Big Mama (black/white shrink w/silver-red trim) 1/1/2007
SLINGSHOT East Power 4200 1/1/2007
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:00 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Default ROAR BATTERY APPROVALS

double post.

Last edited by Mason; 10-17-2006 at 06:01 AM. Reason: dbl post
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #51
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgullickson
Or he can look at his useless posts in the NW section, or on every ROAR thread complaining about having to buy a PT to run at Stock Nats and never even shows up after he is offered to borrow many.

George mr big supporter instead of complaining why not create a solution? You alwys complain but I have yet to see a solution to any of the ROAR issues you b!tch about..
Dave , I did not attend the stock Nat's by choice , I had a work project due and could not attend ...

Funny , I attended the regional , where were you ?
Also attended 3 stock Nat's in my career and you ?

Some Roar supporter you are ....

And

Stock Nationals should never have required Pt`s , its stupid and only hurts attendance at Roar events , it also stops beginner`s from joining the fun....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:08 PM   #52
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz
Because they are for me.... It has gotten so bad that no one is racing anymore because they are tired of games by the local track and ROAR.

Depending on how the up coming race goes (Big Chill) here in Jackson, I'm getting away from ROAR and the track that are tightly tied to them. If you do not know, I'm hosting the Big Chill race and break some of these rules... Brushless in Stock (Novak 13.5), LiPo in Mod, and 4200 are legal... Seems to be going over very big... Oh and Bass Pro Shops are the major host....

I hear from everybody, they want to move to BL and LiPo. So they have stopped racing until they can find a location that will race with both of these items added.
WOW, Bvoltz!! Sounds good. I race down in Memphis with MSRA and wish they would take your stance. I bought the 13.5 as soon as it came out and was unable to run in because of the ROAR and club approval. Good luck at the big chill race. I wish I would have known about your rules. I might have decided to drive down. I am 2hrs north of memphis.
bigair78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #53
Tech Master

Quote:
Bvolt, you are misreading what I was saying.....I was saying special chargers and the PACKS are more pricey than the NIMH counterparts.....Lipo chargers are in general not to bad price wise....but give it time, high end versions will make the way to the market.....the GFX is already being made to charge lipos...

Don't worry cherry, Lipos will gain all the same traits NIMH have.....the battery of the month club will rise again out of them.....just watch. Remember, NIMH was supposed to cure that also.....remember, no more memory, etc......all the capacity we will ever need....

Some people lose interest cause they have attention spans the size of this - .....some are just hobby whores and other simply like to try new things.....15+ years of racing.....equipment is not the key to retainage.....keep thinking that and keep wasting time. RC is simply NOT a cheap hobby. RC planes is super expensive and they keep growing.......pick up a RC plane magazine and you will see why....

Later EddieO
RC planes are growing? I don't know about that one. Small electric LIPO has changed the direction of plane demise since it's now easier to get into.

LIPO is being fought just like every other cell technology has...it's funny how we jump into brushless which wasn't ready, but not other things...like better batteries.

Anyway...like I've said a million times....4 CELL is the worst solution to racing. Sticking a finger a a damn.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #54
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigair78
WOW, Bvoltz!! Sounds good. I race down in Memphis with MSRA and wish they would take your stance. I bought the 13.5 as soon as it came out and was unable to run in because of the ROAR and club approval. Good luck at the big chill race. I wish I would have known about your rules. I might have decided to drive down. I am 2hrs north of memphis.
I'm with you guys here:
bought a 13.5 and the track 15minutes from my place won't let me run it.
BUT the track 55 miles away will (and my lipo as well). Guess where I'll be doing most of my racing.
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #55
Tech Master

Quote:
RC planes is super expensive
I have to call bullshit on that. Unless your doing pylon racing or combat (even then it'd still be cheaper) the cost would not approach that of our cars. You could probably be out on the field flying for less than you can be on the street driving.

I like reading your posts, but planes more expensive than cars? You must get some good 420 up where you live

I wish racing was as cheap as flying....too bad I don't dig airplanes
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #56
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Work in a hobby shop.....and then tell me which is more expensive....planes by far are more expensive....How much does my M11 cost compared to my plane radio? How many servos are in your plane? How many in your car? The plane hobby is pricey.....very pricey. Sure there are cheap ones......but for every cheap one, I can show you a cheap RC car.....you can't compare are $400 race cars to their $75 beginner kits.....

And here is easy math for ya......

Run your car full speed into a wall......you will break some stuff.....$20-30 and its fixed....

Now go run your plane into a wall at full speed....then try fixing it for $20-$30......good luck.

RC planes is a very very expensive hobby....

And don't ever impy that I smoke pot......I have never touched the stuff and never will.......

And Derek, my statement mixes both planes and heli's.....I consider them one group......

Later EddieO
Old 11-03-2006, 07:55 AM   #57
Tech Master

Quote:
Work in a hobby shop.....and then tell me which is more expensive....planes by far are more expensive....How much does my M11 cost compared to my plane radio? How many servos are in your plane? How many in your car? The plane hobby is pricey.....very pricey. Sure there are cheap ones......but for every cheap one, I can show you a cheap RC car.....you can't compare are $400 race cars to their $75 beginner kits.....

And here is easy math for ya......

Run your car full speed into a wall......you will break some stuff.....$20-30 and its fixed....

Now go run your plane into a wall at full speed....then try fixing it for $20-$30......good luck.

RC planes is a very very expensive hobby....

And don't ever impy that I smoke pot......I have never touched the stuff and never will.......

And Derek, my statement mixes both planes and heli's.....I consider them one group......

Later EddieO
I have worked in a hobby shop

Sorry if I offended you with the implication. I just found your initial statement rather odd

Depending on what kind of plane you own. If it's a foamie kit, buy a new fuselage (sp?) if it's a balsa kit...then yes, you are kind of screwed
Run a car into a wall, you could be out a chassis, bulkheads, arms, knuckles, dogbones...etc

I'm not considering helicopters in my argument. I rarely ever see anyone fly one.

Our cars use 1 $120+ servo, planes use 2-4 $20 servos

I'd bet that you can't buy a brand new M-11 with Spektrum for less than the new Spektrum DX-7

But the major expense (the initial costs arn't even the killer!)
$35 a set for tires....
$40+ for a tuned motor....
$60+ a battery back....
$20 a body shell.....

These are are consumables too
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

You arent getting the point. You are comparing high level race cars to hobby level airplanes. Either compare high end planes to high end cars or hobby level planes to hobby level cars.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Exactly what Jack said.

Compare a Composite Aircarft 40%Extra 330 with a Da150, 12 servos that cost about 70-110 a piece,all the little things it takes to build the thing,not even talking about wha a middle of the road to high end radios cost now and you can't compare the cost of High end Car stuff to High end Plane stuff. 1500-2000 for a high end race car setup and 10,000 in the plane.Nuff said.

BlackKat,you sure are smart.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:57 AM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Well, noobies concern me too......as I do own a track, a very large and expensive one....

A lipo does nothing to stop a noob from staying or leaving the hobby.......they require special chargers and are pretty pricey compared to NIMH counterparts....
As a racing newb, but not an R/C one, Lipo or similar technology is very tempting, from many aspects, cost is the last, but important, but having much more "equal" packs that don't need fancy charging tricks and maintenance is the motivating factor. Since locally lipo and brushless are MOD class parts for the time being I'll have to learn the old school tricks with NiMh.