R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-13-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Shouldn't the approval date be 10/1/06? As the rules state, what is approved on or before 10/1 of the current year is legal to be used in the following year. So if they are not approved by 10/2, then they are not legal for one more year, which means they are not legal until 2008, correct.

And I see no Lipos approved... Sad, very sad....
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz
Shouldn't the approval date be 10/1/06? As the rules state, what is approved on or before 10/1 of the current year is legal to be used in the following year. So if they are not approved by 10/2, then they are not legal for one more year, which means they are not legal until 2008, correct.

And I see no Lipos approved... Sad, very sad....
Did you really expect to see lipos?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The rules would have to be amended to even submit a lipo battery pack....until then, don't expect to see them any time soon....

And if they go to 4 cells.....GOOD BY LIPO.....I don't care WHAT lipo you use....there is no way to get 4.8 volts and even the best 3.7 volt pack will never keep up with a 4.8 volt pack....

ROAR puts Jan 1 on the site, so people know WHEN the batteries are legal to be used, so while techincally approved in October, they always list the 1st of the year, as thats when they become legal for use....

And I am not starting anything.....seems quite obivious to anyone with a brain whats going on.....

Later EddieO
Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #19
Tech Legend

[QUOTE=bvoltz

And I see no Lipos approved... Sad, very sad....[/QUOTE]

agree ...
I`m not gona buy one 4200 battery pack !
I`m only going to buy Li-po ,so now I have no reason to rejoin Roar sense my equipment will not be legal....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Did you really expect to see lipos?
ABSOLUTELY

If growing this hobby/sport is important to ROAR then they do not have a choice, you must move forward with technology, like it or not.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
agree ...
I`m not gona buy one 4200 battery pack ,so now I have no reason to rejoin Roar sense my equipment will not be legal....
Maybe this is the answer, when they loose enough memberships, they will get with the program.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Aren't many of the big races and local tracks not ROAR events/sanctioned? So why take all this to heart.....
Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

While I dont disagree lipo is the battery of the future nothing suggested to me ROAR is even close to considering legalizing them. Maybe Oct 2008.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
The rules would have to be amended to even submit a lipo battery pack....until then, don't expect to see them any time soon....

And if they go to 4 cells.....GOOD BY LIPO.....I don't care WHAT lipo you use....there is no way to get 4.8 volts and even the best 3.7 volt pack will never keep up with a 4.8 volt pack....

ROAR puts Jan 1 on the site, so people know WHEN the batteries are legal to be used, so while techincally approved in October, they always list the 1st of the year, as thats when they become legal for use....

And I am not starting anything.....seems quite obivious to anyone with a brain whats going on.....

Later EddieO
Then why did Orion submit both LiPo for approval? per Rick and Mr. Black.

Yes, you are correct, moving to 4 cells would kill liPo, and racing as you know it. Expression: Figures don't lie, but liras do figure.

On the Approval - ok, but then why for last year was Oct 1 used as the approval date... I'm not auguring with you, but really they need to get some common why of communicating so I do not need to break out my decoder ring to read the rules and approvals. We have locally here a track the will not try anything new, and claims it is not ROAR legal, but then you show him how ROAR supports rule changes for a race and he will tell you that is not what it means. You really can not win with them...

I agree with you, it is quite obvious that the back door is wide open... provide you are making a donation…..
Old 10-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Lipo has yet to show any big advantage yet......they still are fragile (more so than a (NIMH).....simply a different battery techonology thats still very much in the infant stages of its RC Car life....

ROAR is not going to jump on approving them in the wake of the 4 cell debate.....JMRCA has already went 4 cells.....some of the European organizations are looking at it also...if they do, its only a matter of time before IFMAR does.....and ROAR will have to follow suit. If that happens, having LIPO will be pointless, as there is no 4 cell equal version.....they are not going to go to 4 cells and then switch right back to a higher voltage lipo.....they are trying to lower the power to prevent speed control and motor blow ups....

So, approving a battery type that may become unuseable in any way for racing is potentially more damaging to membership than not approving them at all.....if the switch to 4 cell happens, two 6 cell packs can become three 4 cell packs in about 10 minutes.....

Maybe before discarding all your legal equipment and switching over.....THINK.

Way to support ROAR cherry......don't get your way and stomp your feet...way to promote racing. I am sure the new guys love the outlook you give....you do know what a hypocrit is right cherry? If not.....look in the mirror....

Later EddieO
Old 10-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Galdo
Aren't many of the big races and local tracks not ROAR events/sanctioned? So why take all this to heart.....
Because they are for me.... It has gotten so bad that no one is racing anymore because they are tired of games by the local track and ROAR.

Depending on how the up coming race goes (Big Chill) here in Jackson, I'm getting away from ROAR and the track that are tightly tied to them. If you do not know, I'm hosting the Big Chill race and break some of these rules... Brushless in Stock (Novak 13.5), LiPo in Mod, and 4200 are legal... Seems to be going over very big... Oh and Bass Pro Shops are the major host....

I hear from everybody, they want to move to BL and LiPo. So they have stopped racing until they can find a location that will race with both of these items added.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:33 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Nothing stops Orion from sending in a package......but the rules don't allow it in their current form.......

On the dates.....all I know is they are approved at the Meeting in October....for use starting the first of the following year.....its possible they go in an change the date back come Jan 1....or simply the web guy messed up....who knows. Simple fact though.....submitted september approved in october for use jan 1 the following year.....not sure what is so confusing....

4 cell racing isn't the cure, but it simply won't kill racing....the JMCRA guys are having success with it....Billy Easton ran it this weekend against 6 cell cars and still won....its still fast, just less voltage....

LIPO is not the cure for anything......the geeks are already figuring out ways to mess with them for increased voltage and runtime and lower IR....and they fail at a greater rate than NIMH do (I replace more LIPO packs for recievers, tx, and mini's per month than I do NIMH, which I sell 25-1 over LiPo)....we have not seen it in planes and such because its a whole different enviroment....

Later EddieO
Old 10-13-2006, 12:34 PM   #28
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

I'm familiar with the quickly approaching Big Chill race, I am considering the trip!

Eddie, easy there. It was I am sure its a rash post Cherry made and not thought out. Lets not foster a hostile discussion.

I see it this way, it does not hurt the RC industry and many may think that ROAR is sitting back and watching the industry reform. I feel the same about the splash lipos made with little foundation for its position in our industry. Lipo has some maturing to do.

You will race with ROAR rules or you won't. I have a local ROAR track and one that isn't and they both function fine.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Most of Cherrys posts are rash and not thought out.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #30
Tech Master

You're on your own Cherry!