R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default LRP Sphere Comp + Novak 4.5 - Good Combination?

Hey guys..

Well im planning to convert to brushless in the next couple of days and was wondering which combination to go for..

I was originally going to buy the novak 4.5 system but heard that many people have problems with the ESC overheating..is this the case? Would I be better off with the LRP Sphere Comp + Novak 4.5??

Let me know what you think, thanks!
j000sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j000sh
Hey guys..

Well im planning to convert to brushless in the next couple of days and was wondering which combination to go for..

I was originally going to buy the novak 4.5 system but heard that many people have problems with the ESC overheating..is this the case? Would I be better off with the LRP Sphere Comp + Novak 4.5??

Let me know what you think, thanks!
Well i run a GTB novak brushelss ESC and a 5.5 velocity motor and had not one overheat neither a glitch.
Hope that helps you.
Jamie
jamie814340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

I have a GTB and a sphere comp, and the sphere is far simpler to use. No problems with either, but the GTB needs a degree in rocket science to use it.

Be aware that LRP are about to release the Sphere TC, which has updated software.
vroomtshh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I have run the Sphere Comp and GTB with the 4.5. Both work fine. on my Sphere Comp I do use the hot weather kit with 4.5 and lower motors.

But, like vroomtshh said, LRP is going to have a new Sphere. From what I understand you will be able to "slow" a low turn motor down. ie., if you have a 4.5 and go to a smaller track, you could change the settings on the ESC to make it more like a 5.5 or even 6.5. I'm not sure if you can change it much more than 2 turns or so. Obviously, you can't make a 4.5 faster

After a summers worth of testing, I only use the Sphere Comp, and I have two GTBs in my pit box... The LRP is much easier to use.
sepirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have no experience with the sphere comp, but if it's anything like the sphere, it's trash. The GTB does NOT need a degree in rocket science, just the fundamentals in reading. All you need to remember is in minimum drive-profile one is the most aggressive off the line and profile 3 is more subtle but just as aggro at a 1/4 throttle. Give yourself a nice amount of brake and you are set. I have had zero problems with the GTB..no glitching, no thermals, no shutdowns.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

I recommend the GTB by far over the sphere, I havent had any problems with the GTB with the 4.5, I did have the Sphere Comp with the 4.5 and it went up in smoke so I went back to the GTB.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #7
Tech Master

Look at the track record of the GTB vs the sphere/sphere competition...

The GTB-only upgrade has been a fan. Period.

The sphere/sphere competition-software upgrade here, software upgrade there and you have to BUY additional cooling parts.

It aint hard to tell.

Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Look at the track record of the GTB vs the sphere/sphere competition...

The GTB-only upgrade has been a fan. Period.

The sphere/sphere competition-software upgrade here, software upgrade there and you have to BUY additional cooling parts.

It aint hard to tell.
I agree!!

Semper Fi
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
I agree!!

Semper Fi
OO-RAH!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
LRP Sphere Comp + Novak 4.5 - Good Combination?-usmc_emblem.gif  

Old 10-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
Tech Regular

i have the sphere comp and the lrp 4 star brushless.i have never had any drama besides from breaking parts in the driveline
moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #11
Tech Master

I've shown more guys at the track "how to use" a GTB then I care to think about. The Reaction by almost ALL of them is and I quote, "that's it". Yup thats it. Once you know how it works, and what the settings are doing, it's very easy to use. Only one button to worry about, and all the settings use DIFFERENT color LEDs, not combinations of the same two.

Limiting power is much easier and more effectively done through the "epa" setting on the throttle of your transmitter.

I've not used the LRP stuff lately, when I did, it was not difficult. Just like all ESCs, they all have their "style" of software. What you get used to is usually the easiest for you and makes everything else very complicated.

In real world applications, we are only using 2 adjustments, drag brake, and Minimum Drive.

You have 10 drag brake settings, they go in order, 1 is off, 2 is the softest, 10 is the strongest.

If you ever have any questions about Novak Gear, you can ALWAY SIMPLY EMAIL US DIRECTLY, or better yet, give me a call. I'm here most of the time we're open. Sure I'm biased towards the company I work for, but I'm also a human being and won't blow smoke up your dress just for the sake of doing it.

There are 5 minimum drive settings, one is the softest, 5 is the most aggressive.

[email protected]
[email protected]
949-833-8873
www.teamnovak.com

Thanks
Charlie
Old 10-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
Tech Master

Sup Charlie. My 4.5 is killing em softly. Can't wait til I get that 3.5!