R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-08-2003, 12:04 PM   #1

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Cmotif
Default Racing Camp needs yours help!

Victory Racing Camp is looking at expanding into RC racing as part of their program. Currently they are posed to race go karts and 1/2 scale Winston Cup cars.

I am trying to help them put their RC program together. This will be racing for Newbies. Each camper will get their own 190mm touring car body to paint. The camp would own the radios and the cars.

The question is what cars to get.

The need to be inexpensive to run, durable, low maitenance.

We have been looking at Traxxas Street Sports or Kyosho Pure Ten Alpha II. We are looking at RTRs.

Your suggestions?

I need more information. We chose not to go with the HPI dash, when we found out that they did not have normal sized motors, regular servos, or normal escs.

What do people know about the Kyosho Pure Ten Alpha II cars? The Kyosho Web site, and Tower do not tell me if they have regular servos, normal receivers, how many channels would be available etc.

Cmotif <><
International Racing Team Member #18
IRT Established: 1999

Everything About You -- Sanctus Real

www.dontblamejesus.com
Cmotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have you contacted the MFG's directly I would think there is some interest on their part to help out or discount through their distributors for the sole purpose of advertising.

Associated, Losi, Tamiya,Kyosho all have RTR's that would fit the bill and offer alot of bodies that would look and paint up nice
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:27 PM   #3
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

HPI Sprint is a possibility. It's basicly a RTR Sport2.

-Troy
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
Tech Adept

what about traxxas 4tec's, cheap, can be modified, not a whole lot though,

also have you thought about getting a sponsorship?, not sure if companies will but its worth a try.

nate
RSX Type 7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:01 PM   #5
Tech Regular

As mentioned above.Losi and and asso. make really great cars out of the box.And most of these come with 27mgz radios witch gives you about 6 channels to deal with.Parts avail. is great on these allso.As a hobby shop employie I would most recomend these RTR's.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:23 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01
Default Re: Racing Camp needs yours help!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cmotif
Victory Racing Camp is looking at expanding into RC racing as part of their program. Currently they are posed to race go karts and 1/2 scale Winston Cup cars.

I am trying to help them put their RC program together. This will be racing for Newbies. Each camper will get their own 190mm touring car body to paint. The camp would own the radios and the cars.

The question is what cars to get.

The need to be inexpensive to run, durable, low maitenance.

We have been looking at Traxxas Street Sports or Kyosho Pure Ten Alpha II. We are looking at RTRs.

Your suggestions?

I need more information. We chose not to go with the HPI dash, when we found out that they did not have normal sized motors, regular servos, or normal escs.

What do people know about the Kyosho Pure Ten Alpha II cars? The Kyosho Web site, and Tower do not tell me if they have regular servos, normal receivers, how many channels would be available etc.

Cmotif <><
Traxxas and Kyosho are inexpensive cars/trucks/buggies that yeild good performance with parts available through Tower and Horizon Hobbies so locating parts shouldn't be a problem. I would also suggest MRC but I beleive Tower and Horizon doesn't carry their car products. Another suggestion is Thunder Tiger with parts available through ACE Hobby distributors, you could just go all Thunder Tiger so the feild would be even and what determines a winner is setup and driving. Not only that, it will be easier ordering parts for the cars since you have one brand to deal with. Just some suggestions and some links below;

http://www.acehobby.com/pdf-buyerguide/car-BG.pdf

http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:47 PM   #7
Tech Regular

if you are looking at electric go for the tamiya's the tlo1's and the tao4's are rock solid cars and the o4's can be made in to one very competitive car and cheap as chip's to repair

for nitro i'd have to say thunder tiger cheap fast durable reliable what more could you want in the department of radio's futabas sanwa company's like that make well priced fair quality radios but if your lookin at the best you cannot go past a ko ex1-r best radio ever

just my opinion
fasterdanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 07:53 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hi,
Really curious about the Camp, it's goals ,and programs. Could you e-mail me with some info?? Maybe we could start something like it here in Florida. Thanks, Dino
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 09:25 PM   #9

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Cmotif
Default Check out the Victory Racing Camp website

Check out www.teamvrc.org racing camp! The website has cool pictures of the 1/2 scale Winston cars etc. It will answer some of the philosophy and goal questions that you asked.

Cmotif <><
International Racing Team Member #18
IRT Established: 1999

Everything About You -- Sanctus Real

www.dontblamejesus.com
Cmotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:47 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Very,Very nice!! Looks like a great program.
Our club has an active youth program and we had the same concerns about price,reliability and support. We also wanted these to be learning tools so they had to be user friendly.in addition, we had to be concerned with the "thrill factor". The attention span of youngsters can be a tricky thing !! After considering all these aspects...we settled on the TC3 RTR package. So that you know...I am hardcore Tamiya...BUT, I have learned that many shops do not support Tamiya RC nearly as much as they do Associated. The cars themselves are easy to work on , the cool factor and performance out of the box is untouchable by a Tamiya TL01 and the TC3 has quite a following so those youngsters who stay interested outside of the camp environment will have plenty of people to share and learn with.
The TC3 may be more expensive initially but is clearly a better long term value. I would seriously consider contacting Associated directly....they may be interested in supporting your efforts. Good Luck, Dino
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 11:43 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Alpha 2 would be a good choice.

From reading a little bit n your site I tink that most of your kids would be in the disadvantaged grouping, so getting a car that they can buy and race once they are away from camp would be of little concern....

-- The car is simple, and solid

--- No oil shocks to fuss with

--- Fixed links simplify the entire experience

--- stock tres really don't need glued if the surface is smooth

--- it comes with a battery and carger... however I think you should invest in quicker chargers

I would speak with representatives from Horzon, Great planrs (tower), kyosho, TamiyaUSA (1-800-tamiya-a), Traxxas, Duratrax, Associated, and Losi.... see what they can do, maybe get a small selection of cars so the kids could choose which they think is the coolest to them and then group them into classes to keep the speed close....The ultimate decision may be to go wiith a cetain car/chassis because a company donates them for a little good PR.........

----- On the racing------

-- keep the track a little on the wide side to keep collisions to a minimum and parts damage down

--- Keep a simple layout or layouts so all the kis can maniuver around it without being left behind

---- use softer barriers around immovable barriers to keep parts damage down......

---- Use NIMH battery packs to allow for longer runtimes, they also are a little more freindly to charging abuse than NiCD's

Good luck and I ope all the kids have fun...... maybe you could get a few volunteers fromthis forum to come ad help get things rolling......

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote