Wiki Posts
Search

Does R/C racing really belong on TV?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sharkman
When you can put a rock/paper/scissors tournament on tv and pay out 50k to the winner, I believe anything is possible.
There's a few other 'smart' comments on this topic but this one NAILS it. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE...maybe someone could somehow get in touch with the promoters of that tournament 'cause evidently they have something our industry needs & don't have...
Old 09-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Well, I work for a Media + Marketing company and, we deal with non-traditional forms of advertising for a variety of markets and demographics. That being said, things get old quick when you cater to a specific audience without instituting change. That being said, if R/C were to go TV, there would have to be changes instituted that TV would have to stay two steps ahead of. With the internet, print and the ability to get information as the events occur, R/C on TV may not be lucrative enough for any specific network to produce. And for the record, AXE is handled by my firm for the college market
Wasn't ripping on Axe's campagin, just giving an example of how it COULD be mismarketed. Its not and is IMHO brilliant. Do you work for Bartle Bogle Hegarty? Are they still doing Axe, its been awhile since I've done anything in the adver/marketing universe.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

I just hope that everybody recognizes the reality that until attitudes and misconceptions are changed in the general public any programming will be viewed as a novelty.
All the discussions about content and structure may be a little premature.
Educate your friends, relatives, coworkers and neighbors. Then PROMOTE your track. This is a sport and the track is our playing field.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've never seen the "Inside R/C" program on THE OUTDOOR CHANNEL, however they came and filmed our 2 day Velodrome race this past July. (We're hoping it will air the end of Oct, or early Nov.)

Something I've thought was that if somebody does decide to try a R/C TV program with more racing is to only highlight a single class for each particular show. (For instance, SNOWBIRDS, cover the highlights of MOD TOURING qualifying and show a good portion of the mains with a split screen voice over interview with the race winner and maybe one or two others of the drivers helping to a play by play watching the race on a video screen.

If you figure a normal 30 minute t.v. program only actually has about 18-22 minutes of show time I think that type of format would work best.

A race like 'the birds' that has 8 - 10 classes could actually be the subject of several shows. If a single episode coule have at least 2 different events, something like that could be cool too.

A r/c show I saw years ago showing offroad racing in Japan, each racer was on the drivers stand in the order they qualified for the main. Left to Right and wore a vest or chest cover w/ their car number on it. This show used a split screen so you could see the drivers in action and see the cars. I don't speak or understand Japanese so I have no clue what they were saying, but it was pretty cool the way it was edited.

Another thing..either Don't focus on SPEEDCHANNEL (or if you do, look at air times when then now have "Paid Programming"), but there are several other 'cable' channels out there. OLN, Outdoor Channel, A&E, G4, and MORE.

Will R/C gain new racers from shows like this? Probably not, but it would be one more way to gain exposure. That coupled with "Grass Roots" types of racing that put R/C Racing back in Public places where it can be seen would help too.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Right now there is no TV coverage of RC races on a regular basis here (USA), which is a shame as it would really benefit our hobby quite a bit to get that kind of exposure. I'm sure there would be a real intrest in our novelty based hobby. Infact at our club races we can get a large crowd of spectators (it's a busy shopping center parking lot) as they gasp and applaud and seem to genuinely enjoy each little drama of our races. And if we're just kids that never qrew up then the same goes for all the other adult kids that grab a basketball or soccer ball or join a softball team just so they can go "play" and those games seem to get a lot of TV coverage...
Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

Now this is a subject I know a lot about, because I've just made (and am editing at the moment) an RC car racing Magazine programme.

The show will broadcast Monthly accross Eur0pe on Motors TV starting in November with an "open ended" contract.

Rick should remember me as I interviewed him at the Worlds in Italy for the show.

However it took a lot of work to get the project off the ground as no TV company will commission a series. We were able to get "free" air time and then with the massive support of HPI and some help form Schumacher put together a budget to make the shows. We approached several other importers and manufacturers but they declined at the time to sponsor the series.

So what's in the show

Well full coverage of the 1/10th and 1/12th Worlds in Italy, we teamed up with Ray Wood to share footage of the event giving him some broadcast quality (wit a professional cameraman) main camera shots, and us his excellent hand helds and statics - a win-win for both of us.

We've interviews with 8 of the 10 A finalists as well as Tech features with Oscar Jansen and Jurgen of LRP

We've filmed a number of Car- tests mostly of Nitro RTRs, A feature on the fast growing world of RC Motorbikes.

We arranged a race day with HPI where real racing drivers (from many UK domestic series) tried scale racing with variuos levels of success (though in they're defence it was raining very hard!)

We also looked at RC cars as engineering projects within schools.

Basically a lot of work for not a massive ammount of reward (we'll break even) but a huge upside for the sport and hopefully when we make the next batch of episodes we'll make a few quid!

Finaly back to the original question - Yes RC racing is as good as any other auto racing on TV, but like any sport you need enough cameras, the right camera angles and good editing and commentary.

By the way we will have an 88 minute edit package (4x 30mins broadcast time) which will be non region specific and therefore perfect for the US - so all you TV buyers out there .......
Old 10-02-2006, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think that would be sweet. Like an X games of R/C racing. Have the normal on road and off road for gas and electric and then also add like highest jump, fastest car, drifting, drag racing, sickest body, that would be freakin kewl.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Runin Ronin
I'm curious how many people watched the IIC live on the internet???

i watched it and found it very interesting for the following things.

1. i was on holiday in france staying with my parents, so i was bored.
2. the fact that the race comentary and everything was live so was hoping for some bad language :P
3. that all the attending people on the rostrum seemed to be quite lardy....

i have truly found my home in RC racing :P
Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Inside RC is still on the air. If you want to see future RC shows and you get The Outdor Channel (especially if you are a Nielsen household) you should be supporting this show. It all has to start somewhere and this show is a good start.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

If you have a track in your community, try contacting your local newspaper. Press releases are usually read if properly constructed and submitted. If you get the attention of the sports editor you may get a break. Even if they only agree to post final results in their columns it's a start.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by exint2
Now this is a subject I know a lot about, because I've just made (and am editing at the moment) an RC car racing Magazine programme.

The show will broadcast Monthly accross Eur0pe on Motors TV starting in November with an "open ended" contract.

Rick should remember me as I interviewed him at the Worlds in Italy for the show.

However it took a lot of work to get the project off the ground as no TV company will commission a series. We were able to get "free" air time and then with the massive support of HPI and some help form Schumacher put together a budget to make the shows. We approached several other importers and manufacturers but they declined at the time to sponsor the series.

So what's in the show

Well full coverage of the 1/10th and 1/12th Worlds in Italy, we teamed up with Ray Wood to share footage of the event giving him some broadcast quality (wit a professional cameraman) main camera shots, and us his excellent hand helds and statics - a win-win for both of us.

We've interviews with 8 of the 10 A finalists as well as Tech features with Oscar Jansen and Jurgen of LRP

We've filmed a number of Car- tests mostly of Nitro RTRs, A feature on the fast growing world of RC Motorbikes.

We arranged a race day with HPI where real racing drivers (from many UK domestic series) tried scale racing with variuos levels of success (though in they're defence it was raining very hard!)

We also looked at RC cars as engineering projects within schools.

Basically a lot of work for not a massive ammount of reward (we'll break even) but a huge upside for the sport and hopefully when we make the next batch of episodes we'll make a few quid!

Finaly back to the original question - Yes RC racing is as good as any other auto racing on TV, but like any sport you need enough cameras, the right camera angles and good editing and commentary.

By the way we will have an 88 minute edit package (4x 30mins broadcast time) which will be non region specific and therefore perfect for the US - so all you TV buyers out there .......

Thank you for your information and experience on the subject. Living in the USA it seems there is a formula for presenting a new trend on US TV to the younger dempgraphic. It is the MTV formula, lots of fast moving clips, with music and women. Maybe the Rc world needs to take a better look at what its audience is / should be, to get broader media coverage. I thought ESPN did a great job when it put together its coverage of the X Games, and here we are 10 years later and the X Games are a very successful format. I was reading recently, that the X Games wanted to expand there coverage into auto racing, and grabbed onto Auto Rally Racing by using one of there marketable stars from Moto Ariels, because he brought his audiece with him to the Auto Rally Racing coverage it turned out to be quite successful and now the US promoters of Auto Rally Racing in the USA are quite hopeful for the sport to break into the mainsteam US TV Market. The point her is that it has to provide entertainment to the audience watching in the beginning, then as the audience gets more involved in the finer details of the sport will it be seen as what it is. Maybe the RC industry should be getting some of the BMX, Skateboard, Moto Cross, and young Auto racing stars to croos over and help bring a new audience to the sport of RC. It needs to change its Hobby image to sporting / cool activity image. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

i am glad i live in canada.......our rc show starts in early november.....20 something episodes....i dont know what it is about nascar that so many people love.......now WRC......thats racing......so sad now that speed doesnt have it on anymore
Old 10-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Someday we will have recognition, but not until the public sees it as an activity instead of a toyfor the kids.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Well I haven't read all the replies, but if this is about bringing in a new audience and not advertising to the same people over and over, then I think the show needs to start off with that in mind. There should also be a tips part that explains how to build, reviews on what to buy if you're new, what to expect etc.

Also, do interviews with the engineer's that make these things. Everyone drive's a car, so maybe they can show the relations to the engineering in an rc car and a real car.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Driver1
If you have a track in your community, try contacting your local newspaper. Press releases are usually read if properly constructed and submitted. If you get the attention of the sports editor you may get a break. Even if they only agree to post final results in their columns it's a start.

We hav had three of four local TV stations out to three of our big events. They did a short 3 or 4 min. seg on the race, with interviews of Alex and Tim (race director/region 8 director). It's pretty cool, I think that it has helped racing grow (just a little) in Omaha.

Chad O

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.