R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City Hami
Sure my argument stands. Fishing shows do an average of a 0.7 household rating. That equates to 756,000 people watching a stupid fishing show on a Sunday morning in their underwear (108 million TV households x 0.7% = 756,000). The fishing business generate revenues of more than 10 times the R/C industry. Fishing is a far bigger market than R/C.

Is it realistic that there are 750,000 R/C geeks available to watch TV at one time? As much as I don't understand the appeal of watching a hunting or fishing show, there is a large number of people out there who do. And, they buy $40,000 truck, own a home, sometime a boat and thousands in fishing gear.

I'm just not sure R/C race coverage belongs on TV. Help me out here.
The market out there is larger then you think, through the magazine publishing numbers and rtr people out there. This would catch the eye of more then enough people, either already involved with R/C or not. Part of the reason to broadcast these events is to expand the market as well. Not just resell to the same crowd, there is enough of that already.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #17
Tech Elite

well, actually what does BELONG on tv. golf, domino's, poker, pool, cheerleading, and on and on and on, the fact the fishing can get a .07 market share is meaning less to the discussion, until rc and been on tv for a comparsion theres no point in bringing it up, imo. and the fact that you even know that info tells me something else.

in order for rc on tv to work i think it would a mixture of maybe two or three aspects of rc, i.e. first off i think it would probably have to be shown on tape delay, find the most exciting heats to show, or at least condence them down.
i also think rc plane and helos could be shown at the same time, but not just flying around.. combine a stunt competition. with the car racing, that would increase the interest. just my thoughts, i have more but gotta leave room for someone to tell me i'm full of crap.
Turtlemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I believe RC should be on TV in the form of commercials. If the local clubs and hobby shops invested in some local commercial time, it would grow the hobby. It's a wonderful, clean, competitive, and educational hobby. It's perfect for fathers and sons. I'm just afraid that the general public doesn't know it's an option.

Last edited by James35; 09-29-2006 at 11:41 AM.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:16 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Of course R/C can be on TV. It is interesting enough to watch for non racers and those that do not have or have ever heard of R/C car racing. How many sporting events/activities do you watch (or have ever watched) that you don't actually participate in? For most of us, it is probably in the order of 100%.

A half hour show (22 minutes of actual content) could be filled with enough information to maintain a viewer's attention. Put it on Speed and you already have an audience that is nearly all racing fans.

I can tell you that there has never been anything filmed that is TV worthy. Televising a race filmed by a guy standing on the driver's stand won't cut it. And interviewing drivers that can barely speak a sentence won't either.

Show race higlights (10 minutes of qualifying and racing action from a 60 minute nitro main) with multiple angle cameras, add in a couple of interview with drivers and perhaps a small tour of a company like AE where Cliff Lett could show how racing cars are made (any company will do and could be a way to recover production costs).

A smart producer will film the 1/10 truck, Truggy, and 1/8 buggy events to create three episodes.

It could happen, it just takes the right person with the right vision to put it all together.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
i have more but gotta leave room for someone to tell me i'm full of crap.
What? Your boss that nice to you?

Anyway... I could watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9WRRT8jUNE but it was hard for me to sit through the whole 5 minute IIC A-main. And I'm even an R/C racer. I only watched the whole thing because I know Blackstock, Bobby Flack and some of the others in the top 10.
Motor City Hami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I hear from the R/C community all the time, how cool it would be to have R/C on TV. We have R/C super stars that we all look up to, so it might be cool for all of the R/C geeks to see them on TV. But, does anyone else really care? Does Mike Blackstock get asked for his autograph every time he goes out for dinner? Are there enough R/C fans in the world to warrent it's on TV? Or should the exposure be a less lofty goal and be on web based properties like Youtube or Google Video?

Me, personally, I don't think R/C races are entertaining enough to earn a spot on TV. If you have driven an R/C car, then you may be able to respect what the A mainers are doing. If not, it just looks like a bunch of guys who never grew up, playing with some fast toy cars. I'd rather see the amature SCCA road racing that I do get on TV first. I'm all over the Valvoline Run-Offs that get televised each November on Speed, but crave more on TV. So, I guess I may be more of an SCCA geek than an R/C geek.

Your thoughts?
Cup staking isn't entertaining either, but it is shown on ESPN

-E
KSKT Racing - #1 in SK Racing Chassis
Darkside Motorsports - "WE ARE WHAT'S NEXT." - www.darksidems.com
THE DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #22
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Driver1

Anyone that thinks that the R/C industry is lesser to the fishing industry has not done their homework. The R/C industry is a multibillion dollar industry that covers the entire globe.
I'm pretty sure that if you were in Japan or England or Germany and asked what time the 'fishing' show came on they'd think you were a nut.
This mentality is the same as the people who say NASCAR is bigger than F1. Just because you and your friends don't watch doesn't mean there isn't a whole world out there loving it.
Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

So put it on TV in Japan. We're talking about here in the USA. And, by the way, NASCAR is bigger here in the states than F1 (not that I'm happy about that, since I am a road racer).

Does it belong on TV here in the states? Where? What would the format have to be to make it interesting? Who would have the power to get it done? Or, who could do this and make a profit from it so that it goes from a dream in the discussion forums to an actual program?

I still say that showing an A-main, even from the Worlds, wouldn't be that interesting to that many people outside of the R/C racing community.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #24
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Driver1

It should be up to the industry. The people who stand to gain the most from any exposure should be the ones footing the bill. Stop wasting your time and money, and bring in NEW interest. Stop the cannibalistic marketing that you're trapped in.
I've just taken over management of an offroad R/C track, and we're trying to make a go of it. I see the industry spending buttloads of money marketing to the customers we already have, in magazines that only get exposure where the people are already interested.
Our local Hobbytown USA sells upwards of a million dollars a year in R/C cars alone. They have lots of glossy 200 page advertisements all over the place. They don't have a track though.
We are about 15 minutes away. We have a modest Proshop and a great track. Maybe you've heard of it (www.planetrcraceway.com), we just held the 2006 ROAR Mod Nats.. We see very little of that sales volume flowing out of that big box. And we see little or none of that marketing dollar spent selling the latest kit.
Promote the racing and the tracks. Don't hand the magazines all that money to tell us how great your 'v2.5x' is, tell all those people out there how great our sport is. Then maybe we'll get some real effort out of all those magazines. Maybe a little less studio photos and a little more location coverage. By the way, thanks to XRC CARS for being here and covering the Nats, although I haven't seen the coverage yet.
Driver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
I still say that showing an A-main, even from the Worlds, wouldn't be that interesting to that many people outside of the R/C racing community.
I think motorsports are motorsports. Those interested in full size racing will be interested in R/C racing. Especially if introduced to the technology and many other aspects that are shared between the two.

Getting a program on Speed, ESPN, or network TV is easy - you just have to buy the time. Even IndyCar buys broadcast time. So all one has to do is spend the money to produce a show, buy the time, and hopefully bring in enough revenue (advertising, entrry fees, promotional fees) from running the event to make some money and be encouraged to make more shows.

If you think ESPN is going to come knocking on your door to show r/c races on tv, it will never happen.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Show me the numbers where a fishing show gets almost a 1 share.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I think motorsports are motorsports. Those interested in full size racing will be interested in R/C racing. Especially if introduced to the technology and many other aspects that are shared between the two.

I will second that comment. I happen to be in the car business and during the first three days of the IIC, General Motors was having a huge convention down on the strip unveiling their new product line up. Well, my General Sales Manager and my parts and service directors, who all three are HUGE nascar fans, came down to check out what I was doing.

They were flabbergasted at the races and technology. I had my parts director talking to anyone and everyone he could about racing. He was thouroughly impressed and thought the idea of rc car racing was great.

so with that said....my .02 has been added, folks that love motorsport WILL like RC racing....
Old 09-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Show me the numbers where a fishing show gets almost a 1 share.
Realtree Outdoors on ESPN2 averages 0.5 household rating. Bassmasters on ESPN2 does an average 0.8 HH rating. Darts does a 0.12HH. Monday Night Football on ESPN does a 7.7HH.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Road Racing on TV is boring Compared to RC

Top level RC Racing especially on large asphalt tracks has more interesting passes in a 5 minute heat than 3 hours of road racing. I race RC, Real Cars, and have watched it all and can say I enjoy top level RC the most. Imagine ESPN Coverage with Scotty and Charlie calling the race to the best of their ability not to mention in car cams now that is exciting. My last point would be, how many people watch real road racing and say that looks fun but I don't have the 25,000 to 100,000 to get started. RC could be seen on TV and the spectator would then say 1,000 bucks and I'm in.

RC is One ESPN Race Day From Becoming Main Stream.

Note: Paintball is a cool sport but damn you can't even see the paintballs on TV and that is on all the time. I won't even start on darts
TRESFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Well people are just watching fishing cause who knows when a stingray is gonna show up.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote