Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
3300's on a Pro Trak charger???? >

3300's on a Pro Trak charger????

3300's on a Pro Trak charger????

Old 02-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What I'm doing for GPs and waht a few sponsored and factory drivers do at my track is 6 amp charge and .03 delta peak. 5.40 v cutoff on discharge at 20 or 30 amps. Works really well, you have plenty of punch. Oh by the way in case you guys didn't know, the higher the delta value is, the faster the cell releases its energy. That's why for mod with GP or Pana cells the delta value is usually pretty low.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

I use .03 delta fallback for my 3000's and it seems to work fairly well. With that said I was able to go thru all of the capabilities of the charger and I am glad I finally received one.

I tried temp charging the other day and used the recommended temp cut off which was 40 degree celsius. The smh's were not too warm and I noticed that the they peaked at a much lower voltage versus not using temp peak detection. So do you guys think that a higher temp would be better???????
Old 02-12-2003, 12:09 PM
dw
Tech Adept

You need to look at the fallback voltage not the peak voltage. The peak voltage will only be affected by the temperature cut off if the pack is massively undercharged and getting no fall back at all.

Getting lower peak voltage could be caused by any number of factors and isn't always a bad thing as a pack with a high internal resistance will peak at a higher voltage but suddenly loose all that extra voltage as soon as charging has finnished.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Default Thanks

Thanks DW,

Now I understand that logic. I will also look in to what the delta fallback was on those packs. Another thing that I was paying attention to was the safety delta fallback when temp. peak detection is used. I think my safety fall back was .31 or something. Do you think I should change that to a lower value or leave it alone. If the temp probes all fail, and the safety fall back is that high then would think that the pack my be damaged, does that sound correct?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2003, 01:49 AM
dw
Tech Adept

.31 does sound a bit high. (Unless you are using nicads.)
The best way to set safety fallback is to see what fall back you get under normal conditions when temp charging and then set it about 50% higher. So if normal fallback was about 0.08 you would set the safety delta to 0.12. I wouldn't go less than about 0.06 though for a safety delta.

The exception to this is if you are using the charger at low ambient temperatures (below 10 degrees C.) in which case the delta should be set a little higher to prevent false peaking.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Default DW

Thanks for the reply. I read on the pro trak website that temp charging seems to be more consistent for nimh batteries. I also talked to them and Phil told me that there was really no definite answer to having a set delta fallpack peak value so that is why I'm testing or trying out temp charging. I apprecaite everyones replies to this thread.

Ronnie