Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pro 4 on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

and if u place the 3 right cell more forward (in the middle)?
Old 02-15-2003, 12:25 AM
Tech Addict

Default I loved the Pro 2, only...

that it was a pain to work on and it had more flex than I wanted.

I wish HPI would redesign the suspension geometry. Give it the Pro 3 motor layout (belts and motor low), keep the pro 2 C-hubs/ arms, etc., improve the belt efficiency (make a better belt like Losi's) 3mm graphite chassis plate and a 2mm upper deck, and design it so that its easy to work on. Make a sport version in fiberglass and with plastic Pro 3 threaded shocks. See the value? Make a Pro level in graphite plates, aluminum threaded shocks and titanium ti rods.

I would then buy one and I don't think anyone would complain. Anyone? This is not rocket science, take a look at what AE does with its marketing. People would see value in this and would have some new confindence in HPI. People are very angry about performace, durability, value and price. Make it race worthy and so that it can hold up to the backyard basher. Durable! Provide the option parts racers want. A lot of people liked the Pro 2.

I liked the Pro 2's adjustable layshaft, light out drives, graphite plate shock towers, milled purple motor mount and oh DURABILITY. Make a after market ti lay shaft, a long with HPI's ti screws would make it very light. Pump out some graphite molded parts. A race worthy durable car is what I miss.

My buddy and I were rough at the track and the Pro 2 was the only one that could take the abuse. It was fun! Trust me! A shaft drive car will get HPI no where, especially if it won't hold up. You can read it in this thread. Revape the Pro 2. My two cents, but you read it here. I don't know who is in charge at HPI, but they don't have a good feel for people. Take my advise it is free, but then what do I know. If you go back through the old forums at HPI, I called it every time. Thats a fact. The shaft pro 4 is a quick fix and attempt to recover it's fan base. What I said would be a good desicion for the long term. HPI needs a sport level kit and an in between team kit. HPI can then seek the racer and newbie markets. Plus still make profits in the aftermarket hopups. Until then, my sport TC3 is great. An over priced Pro 4 shaft car, will get dusty on the shelves. HPI said themselves that its difficult to survive on races alone. A high priced shaft car would only be for the racer, and then it BETTER, better out perform the rest.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 02-15-2003 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:51 AM
Tech Addict

Default Oh...

one more thing external diff adjustments and use AE's steering rack.

After I posted the above I read a "Pro 2 trash" many of us sured liked the Pro 2.
Old 02-15-2003, 12:51 AM
Tech Addict

Default delete

repeat
Old 02-15-2003, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I think this time around HPI just might hit the nail on the head. Hara and the rest of the team has been testing the car in many different venues and I especially was encouraged by the fact that I saw him running the car in Cleveland which is something manufacturers every do when coming out with the car and that is test them on carpet with foams. There are more and more races now on carpet with foams, the two big ones, Cleveland and Snowbirds and just now are companies starting to acknowledge the importance of a car that is versatile not only on asphalt with rubber tires but indoors on carpet with foam tires. By doing this I believe they have been seeing how competitive the car is or could be in all the different surfaces and tire choices so that the car MIGHT become a complete car like the TC3, XXX-S and the X-Ray Evo2. You can throw in the Mission in there if you'd like. These cars have all proven to be competitive all around the world in many different races. Let's hope that the Pro 4 can join the list of the BIG competitors, that way we as racers can have more COMPETITIVE choices when it comes to serious competitive sedans.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:14 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by rcpigz
...................To me it seems HPI tends to be more unique in their designs.Rarely have I seen comments where " does that part or that chassis look just like somebody else's". Or from some research I'm doing....Some designs share a good number of parts or you need to use somebody else's parts to make the thing work right. These are from drivers comments. Thoughts??
Purely to add to your research. The HPI RS4 is very simliar to the Kyosho TF2 of that period. The RS4 initially was "unique" because it had a gear driven rear end....then it became dual belt. The layouts were very comparable!

Sigearhead- HPI also did extensive testing of the Pro 3 before it first came out. Didn't seem to make it a better car!
Old 02-15-2003, 02:45 AM
Tech Addict

Default New drivetrain designs appear to be exhausted.

New designs? Forget it, revap the Pro 2. Maybe it would look somewhat like the a Schumacher, but I bet HPI sold more Pro 2s in the US that Schumacher did in the US. Heck, HPI could still make a stiff tub chassis for it and a graphite upper deck. I still read lots of tout about the Pro 2 and I hope HPI see it
Old 02-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Shaft Car is just following the trend of the market. Look at all the manufacturers right now, Associated Made TC 3 and proven to the market that it is very capable. Then, everyone just trying catch the hype about shaft car and build around it.

Pro 4 is just a copycat of "Barracuda" Which came in first place during JMRCA Sportman.

TB01-Evolution is just a copycat of TC-3 "IRS Version" Second place during JMRCA Sportman

and third place is MY-02. There are only two "two belts" cars in the top ten. The remaining is just "shaft" car

Please do not try to mislead everyone "shaft" is they pay extensively. The first Prototype of "Pro 4" pops up during IFMAR South Africe. That is just a aluminium verision chssis version of TC3 because of the limited time.

Here is the internal gear ratio for the following cars:

TC3 2.5
EVO3 2.6
Barracuda 2.4
Pro 4 ?? (It will not varies that much)

I am just trying to tell everyone that there are already lots of options available for the shaft car and not necessary wait for Pro 4.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Default how about a chain drive...

car?
Old 02-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Default Its just my thought, but I think...

HPI should capitalize on a race worthy plateform that is very durable. Perhaps not as light as the other top competitors, but just a little more emphasis on durability, value and a worthy competitor. A car that would attract racers, but perhaps a little more for the new guy hitting the track. That was HPI's calling with the Pro 2. It held together for the new guy and performed well. That is important and HPI should run with it. HPI could be a great launching plateform.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 02-15-2003 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Chain drive would be really inefficient...end of story.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:52 PM
Tech Adept

dont know
Old 02-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

I just want to point out that taking someone else's ideas and improving them isn't necessarily a bad thing. (copying) It just seems like everyone's like ouu that so bad, blah blah blah. If it's better, then why not?... at least until the next revolution is out. The dual belt layout was copied like a trillion times over and no one really seems to complain.

All I know is I'm anxious to see how well this new HPI performs. I'm hoping they'll release more info as time progresses. I however dislike the "released at the end of the year" statement. That rediculous, people are gonna look to buy a new car for the coming summer season. I sure hope the car will be worth the wait. I'm curious though, whens the next AE TC car rumored to come out?

-Leon
Old 02-15-2003, 10:22 PM
Tech Addict

Default I'm just saying HPI really needs to...

take a look at the over all picture. How are they going to compete with AE. Everything points to buying a TC3 if you want a shaft car.

HPI just can't compete with their proven philosophy when it comes to packaging their products. HPI has more to gain buy perhaps using some of the Pro 3s parts to redesign the Pro 2. Use many of the Pro 2's parts, c-hubs, and etc, would also benefit on cutting down design costs.

The Schumacher is a very good car and it has a proven drivetrain in the racing world. The belt drive is good for the new person hitting the track. The drivetrain is more forgiving and combined with the durabliilty of the Pro 2. Make it easier to work on, better suspension geometry and easier to tune. Have more tunning options like the x-ray.

This thread is not getting much hype about the Pro 4. Top racers already have the TC3 and I bet they are waiting for the TC4. HPI should not give into the shaft hype when the company has nothing to gain from it. Do the math, I want to help HPI form making a mistake. You read it here, remember that, but what do I know, I'm a bad speller.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 02-15-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Tech Addict

Default Old school HPI fans...

Any comments Dr. Diff? People listen to you!

Last edited by Nightbreed; 02-16-2003 at 01:23 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.