Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pro 4 on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Default Sure...

I think its going to get the shaft! Ha, lame I know.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes the new pro 4 will be shaf driven and all new fom the ground up, even the use of American hardware instead of that metric crap, so all your stuff you have accumulated will be trash....LOL J/K
Old 03-18-2003, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Yorkie
I have an upgraded PRO 3 and loads of small hardware that makes me less prone to the other makes.
You can start with trashing your belts, diffs and pulleys... Probably also the Pro3 CVD's...

When HPI released the Pro3, there wasnt much from the Pro2, that could be used....

Of course, I dont know about the Pro4, but dont expect too much from re-use of parts.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by STLNLST
I'm thinking out load here so please forgive me if I offend anyone and I'm not trying to bash. My main question is this.....I understand that HPI is taking their time to make sure that the car is built correctly this time around so a release date of the end of the year is cool to get it perfected.....but why does the design team need to keep waiting for all of the other companies to release their cars to take a look at them? Is the R&D team not up to par? Maybe I'm taking this the wrong way but once the Yokomo comes out will that be the last shaft drive that is closely looked at and maybe they (yokomo) tried a certain part that HPI wasn't sure it would work so the R&D team needs to see how it works on the yokomo???? I'm just reaching here so again this isn't intended on bashing anyone just questions that I have.
Back in the Pro3 age, HPI was blamed for not testing good enough. I believe HPI wont repeat that part of the story. None of us would.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

STLNLST, here you got the ansver:

Originally posted by Frank McKinney
The latest word? Almost certainly before the end of the year, and we're looking close at the latest shaft cars to see what works best and what may not for our purposes. It's still planned to be a pro-level, race-worthy kit straight out of the box, so expect the best from it. Or should I say don't expect anything, so when it's better than expected we all look good?
Old 03-18-2003, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Yorkie - I thought you were getting the Yoke? That will use metric screws and nuts - I can't see that many other HPI parts will be shared between Pros 3 and 4. (foam bumper? body mounts? small shock parts? steering cranks? front steering uprights?).

I've got a feeling that Yoke have really stolen HPI's shaft-drive thunder - with a mass-produced, well designed, moulded car. With Frank saying "Almost certainly before the end of the year", I wouldn't now be surprised if the car never appeared. Even Orion and Novak claimed their brushless motors were coming out sooner than that!
Old 03-18-2003, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by sosidge
With Frank saying "Almost certainly before the end of the year", I wouldn't now be surprised if the car never appeared.
Not quite

Every company has its own production schedule, Yokomo has obviously been planning for months to release their new car in early 2003. We've been planning for months to release our car in late 2003, that's all.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Now Frank will there be some races coming up where the prototype will be at or has testing been done more on closed tracks?

Jeff
Old 03-18-2003, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

another question Frank...

will it be possible for some of the 'over-seas' racers to race (the PRO4) at the upcoming "HPI Worlds Final" abroad in Vegas, while us locals are still waiting for release...

with a late 2003 release date, could it not be possible?...
Old 03-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Frank..

Hara as defending champion of the Norcca Sedan world cup..Will Hara along with yourself and Thad be attending this year's sedan world cup at Speedworld and racing the Pro4?
Old 03-18-2003, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

I wish I knew the answer to those 3 questions, but I don't know Hara's schedule or when test parts will be available so a newer build of the car can be run.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Yorkie,

Yeh, I am ordering a Yok for Mel at the club and the idea was I would order one for myself too. With the exchange rate against the dollar being so high it makes a lot of sence to order from overseas.
The small hardware items are not such a big deal but it is pointless selling off the Pro3 for peanuts when I could still use the shocks, Ti turnbuckles, springs and all the little things.....Maybe???

I think Yok have certainly stolen the show from HPI but that could be an advantage to us customers. HPI now know what standard of chassis they have to produce to compete with the new cars on the market.

Lets wait and see.....but it would be nice to have an idea of when it will be available.

Yorkie
Old 03-19-2003, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Yorkie
Yorkie,
I think you're getting a bit confused in your old age... Me sosidge, you Yorkie!

I see what you mean about springs - I was probably going to sell my HPI ones in a bundle with the car, I think they're a little longer than the Yokomo ones.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sosidge
I think you're getting a bit confused in your old age... Me sosidge, you Yorkie!

I see what you mean about springs - I was probably going to sell my HPI ones in a bundle with the car, I think they're a little longer than the Yokomo ones.
Spring length are important ! Use too long springs, and one disable all the droop / downtravel. Real bad.

As far as I know, the Yok springs are shorter than HPI.
Old 03-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Regards to questions about the design of the Pro 4.

I, many years ago owned a Pro 2, and loved the heck out of it. Here at my local track there is a guy that STILL runs a Pro 2... and is one hard mother to beat. Now... the Pro 3...(cough)...ok nuff said. Pro 4? I think HPI for the past few years has been so geared for RTR and backyard bashers... that they "forgot" what the true racer needed. That in itself isnt a bad thing... because they are pioneers for bringing new people into our hobby! Without these people, this "racer" hobby would die. HPI does however, make a car (Pro 3) that is race capable on a club level... and with ALOT of hopups or factory stuff done to it (i.e. Hara Edition)... can be a National level car. I guess all i am saying is...look at the companies achievements and goals... if they say this (Pro 4) is going to be a race bred machine... then i am sure it will be. Everything else they set out to do they achieve! Heck... how many of you guys know someone with a HPI Micro?! Or a RTR RS4 nitro car?! That is marketing skill at its best! Have a Coke and a smile guys... im sure you will love the new car.
- Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.