R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-06-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown
Arrow make my P2K2 Pro...faster

OK, I have had my P2K2 Pro motor for about 2 months now. I have tried many different gears with it, but I can't seem to get it as fast as I would like it. It just seems like its lacking that punch. What can I do to make it faster?
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, do you rebuild it regularly? And what brushes & springs are you using? Some attantion there can make a world of difference....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:43 PM   #3

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Cut the comm regularly, preferably every 4 runs, replace the brushes after ever 2-3 cuts...Use a ballpoint pen to run down the slots in the comm..Oil the bushings.

Have fun,
Josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to -CriMinaL- |RC Send a message via Yahoo to -CriMinaL- |RC

I had the same prob unknown... for a mid range motor it doesnt seem to have the mid range speed ..
-CriMinaL- |RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:04 PM   #5
Tech Master

Default Basically the biggest thing you can do is

Align the brush hoods...this step is one of the biggest/most important things you should do to ur motor..then make sure your comm is trued..put proper brushes, and springs..if you want a truely fast motor these are the steps that should be taken
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 10:08 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to -CriMinaL- |RC Send a message via Yahoo to -CriMinaL- |RC

does aligning brush hoods make any diference??

if they are slightly out wont the brushes just break in @ a slight angle?? they will stil have full cantact...
Old 02-06-2003, 10:58 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

They will still make full contact, but it will be off from what they are supposed to be, effectively turning the 24degrees timing to some LESSER number (for a stock motor). Also imagine what is happening when the brushes are not 180 apart from one another. The comm. segments won't be in the proper place for the brushes.

Reducing timing is never a good thing when you're trying to get speed.

I forget where I read it, but a guy dynoed a stock motor after each step in trying to get more power, and aligning the hoods properly was the SINGLE MOST effective step he took. Brushes, Springs, etc... all less gain in a step than aligning the hoods.

This is primarily for stock motors, as mods can be readjusted for timing, but still, you want the brushes 180 degrees apart from each other (note I said the brushes, this does not necessarily mean the hoods are 180 across from each other.)

You can't just align straight across, as the hoods are slightly larger than the brushes. So the brushes will get cocked in the hood, of course the direction they rotate (the direction the comm turns) is the direction which creates a decrease in timing, so you have to align so that they ride in the center of the brush to get the proper timing and most power.

180 degrees apart and centered on the brush for max power.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 02:31 AM   #8
Tech Adept

oh k ... sounds fair enough .. thanx man
Old 02-07-2003, 11:41 AM   #9
Tech Adept

OK, I'll admit. I have never taken apart my motor. So, today, I decided to take it apart. I was rather surprised at how easy it was. Everything is apart on the table. My first question is:

You all say to true my comm. What if I don't have the money to get a comm lathe? What should I do that?

My second question:

What kind if brushes and springs would make my P2K2 Pro motor run better and faster?
Old 02-07-2003, 12:26 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Take it to the hobby store and they might have one or a racer at the track might have one. I would use Axiom 12% or 6% brushes and align the brush hoods. www.axiommotors.com has the brushes you need. Or look herehttp://www.rctech.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=58
teamAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 12:37 PM   #11
Tech Master

Talking also go to big Jims forum..good motor building stuff

http://www.rccars.com/forums/forumdi...?s=&forumid=19

there is a ton of info you will be reading good stuff for about three days..just kidding..but look around on some of the threads such as the P2k2 thread and motor tunning thread you will love the info
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:33 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

how about putting in the P2K amature into the modified can like orion Pro BB... I asked this just for the purpose of using the motor for practices....any idea???
Old 02-08-2003, 10:40 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: also go to big Jims forum..good motor building stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by racerb
http://www.rccars.com/forums/forumdi...?s=&forumid=19

there is a ton of info you will be reading good stuff for about three days..just kidding..but look around on some of the threads such as the P2k2 thread and motor tunning thread you will love the info
Lots of good info there

-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:15 PM   #14
Tech Adept

isn't there something I can buy to re-serate my brushes? I remember seeing something but I forgot what exactly it was.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:04 AM   #15
Tech Adept

how do align the brushes???. I don't have a comm cutter should i get one. I also don't know anybody with a comm cutter
warlord385 is offline   Reply With Quote