Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Help with Charger

Hi,

Im after a new charger which only needs to have the following :

-Digital Display
-NiMh Charging
-Charge 2400 NiCads and 1000mAh NiMh Reciver Pack
-Peak Detection.

What are your guys recommendations? As you can probably tell, I race nitro so Im not after anything fancy, and its only needed to charge the 2400s in my starter box and my 1000 NiMh reciever pack.

Im very intrested in the new Novak Millinnium Pro, but thinks its abit of an overkill to have just for 3 batteries.

Any input much appricated
Old 11-02-2001, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

superbrain 959. mrc makes it. it's 60 bucks, and meets and surpasses your requirements. check it out.

http://www.modelrec.com/catalog/index.stm?cat=147

plus it's difficult to even find a millinium pro right now due to supply not meeting demand.

well... later.
Old 11-03-2001, 01:39 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Yes the Novak does appear to be a bit of an overkill for what you are asking for, considering you have to add the price of a power supply onto that as well! Try taking a look at Apex. Some of thier cheaper chargers running AC would fit your bill also. Their online prices appear to be a little high, but I'm sure you can do better if you can find the local distributer!

http://www.apexhk.com/
Old 11-03-2001, 01:41 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Actually that Superbrain looks quite attractive too!!
Old 11-03-2001, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by dtm
Yes the Novak does appear to be a bit of an overkill for what you are asking for, considering you have to add the price of a power supply onto that as well! Try taking a look at Apex. Some of thier cheaper chargers running AC would fit your bill also. Their online prices appear to be a little high, but I'm sure you can do better if you can find the local distributer!

http://www.apexhk.com/
DTM, Apex was the charger I was originally after, but unfortunely they are no longer distributed here in Australia. My friend brought one over from Singapore (The Sigma Plus), excellent charger. And as you said, the price on the apex site is ridiculously high. I don't suppose you know of any online stores that sell Apex chargers?

Another thing, I do all my charging off a car battery, so Im not planning to purchase a power supply. All my charging is only ever done off a 12V Battery
Old 11-03-2001, 02:42 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

NovaRossi- You can try at the 'Hong Kong Control Centre' forum. Since Apex is local made they will be able to get hold of one for you and since you are only going 12V DC the thing should be fairly 'light' to post!
Old 11-03-2001, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by dtm
NovaRossi- You can try at the 'Hong Kong Control Centre' forum. Since Apex is local made they will be able to get hold of one for you and since you are only going 12V DC the thing should be fairly 'light' to post!
DTM, there price seems good ($93US) however it includes a power supply. I have emailed them to find out whether they can make it any cheaper WITHOUT a power supply.
Old 11-03-2001, 07:23 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by seaball
plus it's difficult to even find a millinium pro right now due to supply not meeting demand
How do you figure that? At my LHS it is very easy to get them.

I think we get them through Horizon.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:00 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Novarossi

DTM, there price seems good ($93US) however it includes a power supply. I have emailed them to find out whether they can make it any cheaper WITHOUT a power supply.
If you look at their price list.... the power supply is listed at USD 33..... how good is your negotiating skills!!!!
Old 11-04-2001, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

I just sent my MRC 959 back for replacement after it burned up on the second day of use.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:44 AM
Tech Rookie

I bought my Apex Sigma Plus, I bought it at US$63 in Hong Kong w/ the power supply. If you are looking for a handy changer which can charge 3000ma & NiCd batteries w/ dischage function which is easy to bring outdoor, it is a good one for you. But if you are looking for a charger which can chage your battery with the same expossiveness like the Pit Bill/Novak/Tekin, it is not a good choice. You got what you paid for it.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:34 AM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default My recommendation

If you want to charge just Ni-Cads, then get a Dynamite Vision Peak.
If you want to charge Ni-Mh too, then get a Dynamite Vision Peak Plus.

These chargers come with a FIVE YEAR WARRANTY!!
You can buy any other chargers that you want. But you will replace them again and again and again and again. While I have one charger, and instead of buying new chargers, I am buying awesome matched racing packs with my money.

I had a duratrax charger, had to send it in twice for repairs. Had to send my MRC Super brain in twice. Their warranties are over, so next time they break, they go in the trash.

Cmotif <><
Old 11-06-2001, 08:35 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

I haven't had to replace my Pitbulls yet and I only traded in my Turbo 35BL because I got bored with it!!!
Old 11-06-2001, 09:16 AM
Tech Rookie

bored of a Turbo35BL?

Love my 16x5