R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2003, 06:01 AM   #16
Tech Elite

I dont believe you can compare top drivers with more common drivers. I think that most people will agree, that flex might be an advantage for beginners. However, when the hot shots goes with stiff chassis', then beginners will look at that, and go for carbon fibre.

I've seen really many beginners, which aint got the patience to learn thing with a beginner friendly car. Not to mention the classic example, of beginners, throwing in a hot motor, which they cant handle.

I read somewhere that Hara actually did a lot of this stuff, to increase and reduce flex.

Lets assume that flex actually is an advantage. Then HPI had the challenge, convincing people that flex is an advantage. Simply because the message are unclear.

Dont get me wrong. Personally, I believe in a stiff car, especially on carpet. However, I may admit that I dont truly understand this flex issue.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:41 AM   #17
hoj
Tech Rookie

Donít get me wrong either; I believe that if we follow the theory of a racecar chassis it should not flex. Because flex causes unwanted self-steering to the car for sure.

But, look at the Xrayís new EVO2. Chassis flex is added from previous version. Then go to www.rczone.net and look at the news from new Corally. How narrow upper frame it has from the middle? That must flex. I donít know how stiff Tamiya EVO3 is but itís upper frame looks quite narrow too.

Some kind of controllable flex is a combining matter in these new cars. Or it could be also that Ė26 C outside causes some illusions to me. Maybe it is so that these mentioned car suppliers are focusing to parking lot racing, do you believe?
hoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:06 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Default Another viewpoint

Too much flex and no matter how stiff your set-up is, the Car will be slow in the corners (Pro-3). As previously stated, some flex can be beneficial to the beginner, but the beginner very quickly finds the flex to be a minus when racing competitively.

Too little flex and you lose grip. To regain that grip, softer springs are needed that induce undesirable chassis roll that also slows down the car in the corners (X-Ray, T414??). I think many companies are finding that a small amount of flex is useful to the average person to make the car easier to drive and tune. For the Factory Drivers, I would bet that they would prefer the stiffest set-up possible to avoid any loss of speed in the corners.

My $2.00 worth.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:28 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I agree with pops racer. Flex binds the car up in the corner on higher bite tracks so it slows your corner speed. Some cars have differnet upper decks to help tune flex. Im probably going to experiment with milling down the sides of my TC3 chassis this year. We run on a very slick parking lot and i think that a little more flex might help with the bite.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:28 AM   #20
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Quote:
Originally posted by Cole Trickle
...........Lets assume that flex actually is an advantage. Then HPI had the challenge, convincing people that flex is an advantage. Simply because the message are unclear.
HPI started off on the wrong foot. They produce the worlds MOST flexible car telling everyone that this was the way to go....and then every chassis option they produced INCREASED the stiffness of the car. Talk about getting it wrong......
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 03:27 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I bet the Pro3 ROCKS on polished wood floors!
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote