R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Motor/Magnet Zapper

There expensive, that much I know, but, is the outlay worth it and how much benefit can be gained from using one?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:22 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have one. You will gain noticible extra power and punch. Definately a plus if you want to be at the top level of racing.

Almost every motor purchased brand new wil have already lost "some" magnetic "pull" just from sitting on the shelf. IMO.

First thing you want to work on is honing your driving skills. Once you feel you're at the top of your game with driving... then you should consider a zapper.
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not trying to steal the thread, but can you make one yourself? To help with the cost?
Fervidsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:26 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore
I have one. You will gain noticible extra power and punch. Definately a plus if you want to be at the top level of racing.

Almost every motor purchased brand new wil have already lost "some" magnetic "pull" just from sitting on the shelf. IMO.

First thing you want to work on is honing your driving skills. Once you feel you're at the top of your game with driving... then you should consider a zapper.
I'm never going to be a top driver, it's more that I want to get the best I can from my motors, my son also races and because he's young, his ability will only increase so' it's more for him tbh. And, it would also benifit my mate's.

I havn't seen that many but what is considered to be a good one to buy, and where can you get them from? Secondhand would seem a good bet due to the high price of new, or could I inherit problems?

Fervidsea

I wouldn't even attempt building one, I would end up killing myself
Old 09-17-2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh
There expensive, that much I know, but, is the outlay worth it and how much benefit can be gained from using one?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
They work good on used motors, sometimes on new.

I have one for sale.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Try this

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...t=motor+zapper
rockdog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Its kinda pointless, if you need to zap your can its time for a new motor. When you zap it if your off by a mm your timing will be off. But I woudl still buy one if I had the money just to play with
drew85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Magnet zappers are very misunderstood in the RC industry. They will not magicaly make your motor faster. Heat and how you store your motor is the enemy when talking about magnet strength. They do reenergize your magnets, but will only take your magnets to its original state. As to say on a scale from 1 to 10 your magnet is a 6, over time it decrease to a 4. A zapper wil take it back to 6 but never go above that. They can also decrease your motors performance by changing the powerband and sometimes make a motor run hotter. Most good motor tuners use them for obvious reasons. I use a non-electric version that uses only rare magnets to operate, same as Reedy and other motor manufacturers but it is quite spendy.

For the occassional weekend racer it is not worth the money. You would be better off finding someone who has one and giving them a few bucks.
RT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT76
Magnet zappers are very misunderstood in the RC industry. They will not magicaly make your motor faster. Heat and how you store your motor is the enemy when talking about magnet strength. They do reenergize your magnets, but will only take your magnets to its original state. As to say on a scale from 1 to 10 your magnet is a 6, over time it decrease to a 4. A zapper wil take it back to 6 but never go above that. They can also decrease your motors performance by changing the powerband and sometimes make a motor run hotter. Most good motor tuners use them for obvious reasons. I use a non-electric version that uses only rare magnets to operate, same as Reedy and other motor manufacturers but it is quite spendy.

For the occassional weekend racer it is not worth the money. You would be better off finding someone who has one and giving them a few bucks.
Just the kind of help I needed, thanks for that. The only trouble is, finding someone who has one. I do know someone with a non-electric one but only ever see them a few times a year which is what started me on the idea of getting one.

You say that they can also decrease the motors performance by changing the powerband, is this the same for electric and non-electric and, to make it worthwhile owning, would you also need to have a dyno? I have the funds available, and should I ever decide to pack up, it's normally something that you can sell on at some point so I am still interested but dont want to waste my money either, if that makes sense!
Old 09-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #10
Tech Addict

you can also gain rpm if you advance the timing with them (though this is against roar rules). i picked up an erp ac zapper 14 years ago, and though i know it's not as good as the rare-earth zappers, i still see an increase in the magnetic strength in both the 'feel' and via a gauss-type meter (team-one's version).

here are my thoughts. stock brushed is probably going to be around alot longer than brushed mod when comparing it to a brushless option just due to the nature of making an equitable motor. if your driving, car setup and other equipment is at the point that the motor is what is holding you back, a zapper is definately the way to go. if you're going to mod, brushless mod specifically, i probably wouldn't invest in another zapper.

best of luck.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote