R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #3301
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jallshouse

this is a tad bit off topic but i bought a pair of parma cyans and a pair of magentas for my 007 in late feburary but never took them out of the package.....would the tires be any good or are they shot? not sure what kind of shelf life they have....thanks
jallshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #3302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowshark View Post
Hi,would be interested in some views on this. Since moving from a T1R to a T2 we have been using a spool (locked one way) at the front. I suspect there are a lot of people with this config. We have also suffered continuously (to the point where today I thought about junking the car) with the pin joining the drive shaft to the drive axle coming lose. Hell yesterday we fitted a new shaft, new axle, coupling, pin and hex screw to one side, with thread lock, - to remove any variable of worn holes (giving movement) and during practice this morning the pin on that side came out.

Now what I did not realise until today was the significant vibration on turning that a spool introduces. If you haven't seen it put the car on the bench and try it on full lock. This evening I came a across a posting on the Losi thread discussing the same point of vibration and the impacts on the drive shaft assembley through significant increased wear caused by spools.

Do you run a spool because that is what the Xray kit comes with (like me) or is it really advantageous? Perhaps importantly I run on asphalt which will not have the high grip aspects that carpet will. My project next week is to pull a diff from the old T1R, change the ratio to 1.7 and fit it to the T2. I doubt it will negatively impact the performance,indeed it will not because it will be nice to do a race meeting with drive at all 4 wheels!!!

What are the pros and cons of diffs vs. spools?

had a similar problem before. what i did was dremmel the pin so that the middle has a flat portion where the grub screw can press against. then i put a tiny drop of CA glue on the grub before screwing it in so that it sticks to the pin. so far so good.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 PM   #3303
Gravity RC

jallshouse: I would not worry about it they should be fine, the performance may be a bit different with them but not to any point where you would not want to run them.

Yellowshark: I have had that heppen to me before but some fresh locktite and an amost broken 16th wrench always takes care of it, Pm me if it keeps happening an i will get in touch with you personally and come a solution, im sure that i can help with more info. Thanks Paul
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #3304
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jallshouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
jallshouse: I would not worry about it they should be fine, the performance may be a bit different with them but not to any point where you would not want to run them.
thanks paul....i guess at worst they will be good practice tires to get used to carpet again after a summer of dirt
jallshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:05 AM   #3305
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What do you guys normally run for the inner ackermann postion? Forward or rear?

Sportworks Recoil - MMR Spec, GTX

Additional Feedback: http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=145047
peded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:40 AM   #3306
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peded View Post
Good question. I've tried different ackerman settings, and occasionally it helps. Usually it helps in a specific track section, but i really dont understand why and how it helps. I just go by trial and error.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Itchy; 09-04-2007 at 07:07 AM.
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #3307
Gravity RC

hi guys, for me ackermann depends on the track size, layout, weather you run foam or rubber tires and weather your are running a spool,diff or one way.
There never seems to be one place that i always run it for any givin situation, but i can tell you my rule of thumb. i generally use more ackermann for rubber tires, i would say that 75% of the time i run the post back for rubber, and with foams the post is always forward. with a diff or one way it is a good adjustment to tune with, but any time i run a spool it is 5 times more important to get it right because it makes a bigger difference with a locked front diff than it will with a diff or a one way.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #3308
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peded View Post
No.3
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #3309
Tech Adept

Can someone go into more detail the difference between rear inboard and outboard toe-in? I saw a post earlier from I think teamgp telling someone to make a slight change regarding this adjustment. Just would like to have it explained a little more, how one differs from the other as far as what is happening. And how to tune with this option, why one is better than the other for different situations.

Thanks
automator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #3310
Gravity RC

automater: here is how i feel on the subject, some of this is a fact and some of this is just my thoughts. first off in board toe binds up the suspension during travel, the same spring will feel stiffer on the pit board if you have 3degs inboard toe than it will if you will have three degs out board toe. the second thing that i think happens when you have the toe on the inner hinge pin it is changing the way the roll center jumps across the car i think that the car will accually roll more to the front end with inboard toe, and i think that this is why you will hear people say that more toe gives them more turn in.
This being said I think generally inboard toe is for lower bite situations where you need more foreward bite(suspension bind) and outboard toe is for higher bite situations where you need more even roll out of the chassis.
With my car i almost always just use the standard 1deg outboard and 2 deg inboard this seems to be a good comprimise for any type of TC racing.

hope this helps paul
Old 09-05-2007, 06:20 AM   #3311
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Ali Graham Send a message via Yahoo to Ali Graham

Outboard toe in is better over bumps than inboard toe in as it tends to bind the suspension less like Paul has said.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #3312
Tech Elite

guys, where i can get the picture of T2'008??? thanks.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:49 AM   #3313
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by automator View Post
Can someone go into more detail the difference between rear inboard and outboard toe-in? I saw a post earlier from I think teamgp telling someone to make a slight change regarding this adjustment. Just would like to have it explained a little more, how one differs from the other as far as what is happening. And how to tune with this option, why one is better than the other for different situations.

Thanks
Of course Paul is spot on. Here's some more info:

http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic.php?p=49797#49797
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 AM   #3314
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Paul l you got pm
Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #3315
Gravity RC

give me a buzz and ill try and help you get squaired away, Thanks, paul

Last edited by Paul L; 09-07-2007 at 11:23 PM.