R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Default New IB4200 Worlds cell

So what is the word on this new cell? Anyone have any yet?
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Default The Worlds cell

I have them on my matchers rite know. They have more voltage and run time than the last batch which was the ones with shv on them. The only difference is the new ones say world champion on them without the shv.
L.P.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Team Orion will be releasing details about this cell later today.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Old 09-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
Tech Master

Oh woopy another.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I've only been doing RC competitely for a little over a year. Has the rapid battery changes always been like this? Will the madness ever stop? When do we say thats good enough for a while? Seems like everyone runs out to buy the latest and greatest and then it doesnt matter. We are all slightly faster but the racing results never change.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Deznuts05

love that avatar orbital

ps I just wanted to stay up to date... when is later today? isn't it nite time for orion already?
Deznuts05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
Tech Elite

This afternoon CA time is when information will be released.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
I've only been doing RC competitely for a little over a year. Has the rapid battery changes always been like this? Will the madness ever stop? When do we say thats good enough for a while? Seems like everyone runs out to buy the latest and greatest and then it doesnt matter. We are all slightly faster but the racing results never change.
This is a more recent thing i think. I started about 4 years ago, and got some 3000mah packs, the next year it was 3300, a year later i still had 3300's in my car....last october i got 3800's...now a year later its 4200 revision #?....

It will eventually have to slow down in size, but there will likely be more companies makeing them.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
The Chinese manufacturers have embraced the R/C car racing market and continue to produce better and better cells for their customers.

When do we say thats good enough for a while?

The U.S. R/C car racing sanctioning body (ROAR) has said this by freezing the battery rules so that new batteries can only be approved for competition on a yearly basis. The problem is that this rule is ignored by 99.9% of the racers and clubs/tracks.

So while you are saying "enough is enough", your fellow racers, and the tracks you race at, don't really care.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
When do we say thats good enough for a while?

I would say batteries are expendible, though they should last a year (first as big race packs, then club race packs, then a slow death as practice packs), but having said that, I would be more upset about the CAR platforms changing every year than mah going up and up...
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

GP had no reason to introduce a new cell, as they had a complete monopoly on the market....so they rode the wave to the shore.....but that ended up back firing as IB was ready to go at it with them....now GP has pretty much lost its market share in the RC Market with companies like IB, IP and EP now taking over.....

And while the IB4200 cell is going through some revisions, its still the IB4200....they have just refined the process.....which is no different than GP did with the 3300.....as we saw the first ones have voltages around 1.10-1.12 at first.....and by the end of the cell, we were seeing 1.17 at worst with stuff in the 1.18, even 1.19 range occasionally....(all 30 amp numbers).

This new cell has higher voltage and similar (but more consistent runtime)......still in the end, its an IB4200 with a sticker on it, just like the SHV was.....

The ROAR rule about once a year battery approvals should be changed.....twice a year at better times would work better for the racers and the companies....

Later EddieO
Old 09-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

You guys make some good points. I think one of the reasons for keeping them the same for a while is that they will get cheaper. Everytime a new product comes out the prices are extremely high and that $80 pack you bought a month ago can now be purchased for $50. Im all for advancements in technology it just seemed to be adding all these extra letters to the 4200 has been awfully quick. Out of curiousity when the ib4200's go for ROAR approvaly does the regular 4200 have to be approved seperately from the SHV?

Does Lipo make this problem better or worse?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:31 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182

Depends on your club. Hopefully your all from a club where you get a say in what goes. Luckily im from a great one. We had our AGM last night and all agreed that we would cap all club racing (including the big meets held here) at 4200, and no more. Good thing is we were capped at 3800 previously, so we all have a few weeks to get a set of 4200's to race the full winter season.

The fact that their new 4200 cells is bloody annoying. Why not make them 4300? Maybe Roar need to make it even more specific, and name the model of cells which are allowed. No World cells, only SHV's... might have to bring that up at our club also. Dont want anyone who has just bought SHV's to think they have to get Worlds cells also. manufacturers can produce what they want when they want, its the clubs that decide what is run.