R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-13-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Check this out!

Steve MacLean of the Canadian Space Agency told Mission Control on Wednesday that he was removing a cover on a crucial rotary joint when one of the four bolts he needed disappeared.

"I did not see it go," MacLean said. "I'm looking to see if anything is floating."

Space debris can be dangerous if it punctures space station walls or spacesuits and can jam crucial mechanisms. However, spacewalkers have a long history of losing things in space. In July, Discovery spacewalkers lost a 14-inch spatula that floated away.

There was no indication that the latest missing bolt went into the rotary joint or any other space station mechanisms, and the assumption is it floated away, NASA spokesman Grey Hautaluoma said. He said that the astronauts simply used three bolts for the task instead of four, and that there shouldn't be a problem with that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are they freakin serious!!!!! We can't even expect that a screw left off of one of our cars during a build or repair to not affect it's performance.....someone tell me.....what the hell is wrong here!!!!???
santinuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Tech Master

Try decaffeinated.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman72
Try decaffeinated.
hmmm thats funny stuff, my point here is...
and I realize that this isnt r/c related....directly, but.....
indirectly it is.....
we cant leave a part off of an r/c machine and expect it to work without flaw as it's designed to correct? We have lost how many good people and 100's of millions of dollars in our space program due to things that were supposedly not due to human error, how can NASA in good confiidence build a fully functional SPACE STATION and leave nut and bolt out and expect it to work without flaw.....do we not learn from our mistakes especially when the consequence is at the expence of someone elses life?.....if i forget to snug down a set screw for a hinge pin and the pin backs out and i break an arm i'm gonna correct it for the next run....it's all relative......
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Im sure there are places on an RC car where the difference in performance would be negligible. Like a one screw from the top deck. Or one screw holding a bulkhead when there are 3 others.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

With no gravity you could probably hold the whole thing together with tire glue!
" Go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn"
tcmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Im sure there are places on an RC car where the difference in performance would be negligible. Like a one screw from the top deck. Or one screw holding a bulkhead when there are 3 others.
true, but, we know that thru trail and error, that is something that we can notice if not immediately, over time, it's not like we can say hey, the station not doing something as it should and it's due to that bolt missing let's pull it off the track and fix it....in this case NASA does not have that luxury....these are people up there that we are dealing with not lab mice......we arent expendible....someone needs to realize that.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by santinuchi
true, but, we know that thru trail and error, that is something that we can notice if not immediately, over time, it's not like we can say hey, the station not doing something as it should and it's due to that bolt missing let's pull it off the track and fix it....in this case NASA does not have that luxury....these are people up there that we are dealing with not lab mice......we arent expendible....someone needs to realize that.
So what you are saying is this is nothing like RC at all. Then why are we discussing it on here?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Default .

Quote:
So what you are saying is this is nothing like RC at all. Then why are we discussing it on here?
because we deal with minds every day that have taken an r/c chassis from a company that has put years in some cases into r&d put it into average joes hands, let him drive it, make changes, and in some cases had some one rework the tolerances and make the car better,,,we are bound to be able to have an intellegent conversation about something else...most of these threads are pointless and most of the questions asked every day, if researched enough have been answered 100 times over in this forum, it's obvious to me that most of the people here ARE NOT STUPID OR DUMB, i'm just trying to capitalize on that.....
Old 09-13-2006, 12:13 PM   #9
Tech Regular

If we had reduntant failsafes and the kind of factor or safety that they use in space equipment, we could easily afford to leave a bolt or two off in a pinch.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #10
Tech Regular

You can't hold intelligent conversations on this board about anything but r/c!

Signed,
RC Nazi

Jesus f'in c. Is R/C the only thing we can talk about on here? Put down the bong and open your eyes. There's more to life than R/C. Such as talking about relevant current events. Heaven forbid someone tries to spark up a conversation about something other than toy cars.
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
Tech Champion

You might have better luck here:

http://rctech.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Old 09-13-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede
:

Is R/C the only thing we can talk about on here? Put down the bong and open your eyes. There's more to life than R/C. Such as talking about relevant current events. Heaven forbid someone tries to spark up a conversation about something other than toy cars.
WORD!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
You might have better luck here:

http://rctech.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Maybe he's like me and never bothers to scroll past "electric racing"
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede
Maybe he's like me and never bothers to scroll past "electric racing"
I'LL ADMIT, I'M GUILTY AS WELL.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:00 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I think what or8ital is trying to say here is this should be in the "Off Topic" thread.

Mark
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote