R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default ESC for 12th scale 4 cells

Guys,

I am just starting in the 12th scale 4 cells class.

What must i look at when i buy a ESC for this kind of racing??
I do not want to spend to much money since it is only for winter racing.

Thanks,
Martinus
Martinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to G Ace Send a message via Yahoo to G Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinus
Guys,

I am just starting in the 12th scale 4 cells class.

What must i look at when i buy a ESC for this kind of racing??
I do not want to spend to much money since it is only for winter racing.

Thanks,
Martinus
Just make sure it is small enough to fit on a 12th scale chassis, can be run on a minimum of 4 cells, and is capable of handling whatever wind motor you plan on running.

Some ESC's will not accept less that 6 cells, and some do not handle low turn mod motors (if you plan on running mod).

Reverse is not allowed in all sanctioned 12th scale racing that I know of, so make sure you get a esc that is either forward only, or has reverse lockout. Racers get grumpy when you hit them going backwards.
G Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quite right, & one other thing you might keep in mind, if you intend to run modified, the motors will try to draw a LOT of amps, & in some cases, the ESC might not be able to supply all the current it needs & at the same time keep enough juice going to the BEC(the Battery Eliminator Circuit, it's what directs power to the receiver, servo, transponder, etc. & not all of them are created equal). We've really noticed this when using the Spektrum radio system, as those receivers seem to put a higher current demand on the BEC, & if the motor's drawing too much, the ESC won't be able to keep it going, & that'll force it into Failsafe mode & stop your car dead(definitely not a good thing on a straightaway). That's one of the reasons why I'm a big proponent of Novak's ESC's, all of their competition models have what they call Radio Priority Circuitry, which when it detects the battery voltage is dropping too much, will redirect more power to the BEC, so you NEVER lose control of the car.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I was having problems with running a Spektrum receiver even with Novak speed controls, and plugging an additional capacitor into the extra slot on the reciever seemed to help. Just wire an extra polarized capacitor to a Futaba J or other compatible servo plug and plug it into the open slot on the reciever.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Get the KO Vfs 1 pro or competition , or all of its other relabeled aquintainces.
That esc has done me well, nice and small probably the smallest, and comes with nice big wiring.
savageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I've used the LRP QC2 and now the Ko Propo VFS-1 Compeition in my 1/12's with no issues. I've run everything from 27t stock to 7t modified with no issues. Either one of those will treat you well, also the Novak GTX.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

If you get The vfs 1 pro, make sure you get the ICS multi setting adapter and the vfs 1 card, so you can set all the drive frequency
Old 09-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageguy
Get the KO Vfs 1 pro or competition , or all of its other relabeled aquintainces.
That esc has done me well, nice and small probably the smallest, and comes with nice big wiring.
If by "big wiring" you are referring to the gauge of the wires on the ESC, bigger is not always better for 4-cell 12th scale cars. Typically wire larger than 14 or 16 AWG is not needed to handle the current generated by a 4.8 volt battery in an 8 minute race, and heavier wire can bind up the rear pod and cause the car to handle poorly.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Its 13 gauge wiring.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

I recommend the MRT MX Pro which has increased my run time over a Quantum, and provides more than enough BEC-power for my Futaba 9602 servo.

The MX Pro has six throttle programs to choose from, and too many brake programs! It's fully sealed, and very easy to swap from car to car. I don't know if MRT have a US agent, but they do deal with US customers, and they have a brilliant back-up service, which I have never needed - bulletproof! HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

keyence rapida.best speedo i ever owned.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #12
Tech Adept

I've race 1/12th 4-cell for the first time ever at the World Championship this summer in Italy.

I bought a LRP QC2 for this event and it worked perfectly. I did buy LiPo receiver packs but didn't need them.

I ran the (old) batteries down to crawling speed and I still had no interference or steering problems. Even with a Spektrum receiver.

This is a safe choice.
MBreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I also just got into 12th scale last year and didn`t want spend a lot of money on a speed control. I got the novak gts and it performes great. I only run stock and occasionly 19t. I think it will handle down to a 14 turn.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote