R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-15-2006, 10:59 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
??? Orion has been the primary promoter and seller of Li-Po batteries specifically design for use on R/C cars for a little over a year now. We didn't just take a plane pack and market it to car guys. We made a specific package to be used in todays R/C Cars and have constanly been and continue to work to improve cells and there interface to be used in our applications.

We also are the largest supplier of Sub-C cells worldwide this allows us to be on the forefront of both technologies. Some are not and they make themselves obvious.
I know you guys are really pushing the Li-po thing, I meant as far as getting your dirvers to run them. I have since heard they ran them at the KO propo, so...nuf respect due.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #32
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerjvf
MrBlack,

How did they make this fit in the MSX? The rear bulkhead is in the way. Did they modify the batt case or the car?

Thanks for the info.......
I do not believe either of them ran the MSX i think they ran the 415 standard edition.

The new 3200 Race Spec Li-Po coming next month will fit right into the MSX without any modification.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."

Last edited by MrBlack; 09-15-2006 at 03:41 PM.
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
I know you guys are really pushing the Li-po thing, I meant as far as getting your dirvers to run them. I have since heard they ran them at the KO propo, so...nuf respect due.
Unfortunately the majority of races our drivers run do not allow Li-Po batteries. For the K.O. because our drivers are used to running Ni-MH and there cars where set up as such they chose to eliminate any variables and run traditional Sub-C cells. We only had a couple factory drivers there and they were trying out prototype stuff for there chassis factories so they were incouraged to run traditional batteries for this event.

You have to add a lot of weight to make the minimum especially today with today's super heavy Sub-C's which are much larger in diameter and weight then the cells we used just 6 years ago.

Chassis designs are changing and most of the chassis manufacturers have already told us they are considering Li-Po in there chassis from this point forward. The 6 sub C cell pack has long been a hinderance for proper chassis design with lighter power that can be shaped more compact the future should allow for chassis handling much better, being much lighter and allowing a more affordable platform. We will also be able to go much faster with less motor in the future. These are things that those of us that work in R&D and design in our industry are realizing were are at that point again right before TC came out so the next stage of electric on-road is still to be set.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:35 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
I do not believe either of them ran the MSX they ran the 415 standard edition.

The new 3200 Race Spec Li-Po coming next month will fit right into the MSX without any modification.
Medel actually did use an MSX. In fact it was my old car. To make the pack fit, you use the top plate and right rear bulkhead from the stick pack conversion kit.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to ammo

TrakPower does put the cells thru a dedicated process to ensure the packs are more than good enough for 1/10 race cars.
I would not go into arguments as in which is better or not. Nor will I look at it as a form of competition, rather at this stage, every new lipo pack designed for cars will only further compliment the trend towards providing more performance and convenience for all players in r/c vehicles.
ammo is offline   Reply With Quote