R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 4c VS 6c

hey all,
Our LHS and track are usign the new 4 or 5 cell rule and lettign us run the lower weight. If i ru nthe 4 cells instead of 6 cells with this give me more run time and keep everyhting cooler. Will it make the car faster as it weights less because of power to weight ratio etc....

If i was goig nto run 4 cells would i have to put some weight on my corally o nthe battery side as im running the 5.5 brushless.
jamie814340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi,

We have started a class at our club with 4 cell specs.

4 cell sedan :
4cell max 4300mAh
3.000lbs (1361g) min weight.
5mm min ride height
4 door body
4wd commercially available 190mm electric sedan.
Foam or Rubber tires
Stock Motor (P2K2, MHP, CO27...)

For example :
A 6 cell sedan with a P2K2 the roll out is about 27mm (on our local track) in 4 cell the roll out is about 37mm. the 4 cell cars are 1-2 laps down from the 6cell A-Main times. the 4cell car setup is NOT faster then 6cell stock sedan BUT its not far behind.

As for weight distribution, I have tuned a fellow co-workers PRO4 to run 4 cell, the car was previously tuned for 6 cell, all I did was adjust the preload and verified the tweak and droop. he is running fairly recent electronics (lighter) therefore the removal of 2 cells actually make the car somewhat close to be balance properly anyways...

I strongly support 4cell sedan as an entry point for racing because the 6cell stock sedan is not the same as it was 10 years ago (they are faster), the TL01 spec class is not in effect anymore at our club, racers buy one race car, race the first year in 4cell and then the second year they can choose to stay in 4cell, move to 6cell Stock Sedan with Rubber tires or 6cell 19T Foam tires sedan.

M.
MATTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie814340
If i was going to run 4 cells would i have to put some weight on my corally on the battery side as im running the 5.5 brushless.
I run 4 cell stock and while I was lucky in that the car balanced up evenly, it was suggested that if it didn't then to move the receiver to the battery side first before putting extra weights on. My thought is that you're running 4 cell to lower the weight in the first place and then you have to add weight to one side is just counter-productive.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Whether or not 4 cells is competetive depends on what you're comparing to. It's possible to make a 4cell/brushed motor car race pretty well on par with 6 cell/19t with a low turn motor. You should find that the motor runs cooler and you need to replace to brushes and skim the comm less often. This what a friend of mine using 4 cells found anyway. Best way to find out would be to try it and see. Not an expensive idea to test. In Japan they now only run 4 cell touring cars so they can't be that bad.
ralph_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_c
In Japan they now only run 4 cell touring cars so they can't be that bad.
23t stock still runs 6cell/8min in Japan, only modifed runs 4cell/5min