R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default Effect of Rubber Tires on Carpet?

A local track is considering running rubber tires on ozite. The biggest concern is the effect it will have on the carpet. Can anyone give me info on whether racing rubber tires on carpet is harder on the carpet, about the same or easier on the carpet?

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
A local track is considering running rubber tires on ozite. The biggest concern is the effect it will have on the carpet. Can anyone give me info on whether racing rubber tires on carpet is harder on the carpet, about the same or easier on the carpet?
Email Ruben Benitez from stocktonrcraceway. He's the track owner and race director. He has alot of knowledge on your issue.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I too would like to know. My lhs will not allow us to run rubber for fear of wearing out the carpet prematurely. Speaking of carpet wear, how often should ozite be replaced. We will going into the 3rd season on this carpet. It's seems to me that it's ready to be replaced, but I don't see them doing that this year.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Tech Regular

dosen't wear the car[et as long as you use slicks or cut slicks, don't use schmacher rally blocks and it will last a long time
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via AIM to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via MSN to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked-Wayz

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...prodID=7718822 This is the stuff I think we use at S&N's Trackside. The carpet was just replaced last year with new stuff. I think the old stuff was on there for maybe 5-6years. The wear & tear for both foam & rubber seem to be the same to me. Give crc a call & ask some questions. I'm sure they will answer any questions you got.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 09-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Are you talking about Platinum Hobbies and Raceway (Vince and Elisha's track)?

Loren
llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Rubber tires on CRC carpet works just fine - really no greater wear than running foams on carpet. At Trackside here in Milw, carpet lasts about 3-4 years, running with weekly club races plus major events like the Novak US Touring car Championship race (hundreds of racers), but it doesn't really wear out because of foam versus rubber - rather, the tears from protruding screws, crashes, and lots of use, seams finally coming unglued, etc. For weekly racing we are 90% rubber entries versus about 10% foam. Sure, eventually it will wear out, but foam versus rubber doesn't appear to be a determining factor. It is nice to have some foam guys running, as it puts down a nice "racing line" that takes longer to develop if you are just running rubber tires on the same line. (again, evidence that foam tires are perhaps more abrasive/wearing to the carpet than rubber). An additional item to think about for wear is traction compounds - some are much harder on the carpet, and as a result, at Trackside we are limited to using Jack the Gripper (mild stuff, no more wintergreen fumes/hazards). If you think about it, the cars are able to grip the carpet better with foam than rubber, so the forces being applied to the carpet with foam tires are greater than the forces with foam. If anything, I would think that using rubber tires wears the carpet less than foam tires.

Bottom line, however, is run foam, run rubber - no difference in ultimate life of the carpet. Just keep an eye on sharp protrusions from cars, establish and enforce a minimum ride height of 5mm, limit traction compounds, and change your layout regularly to distribute the wear over the entire layout. Your CRC carpet will last a long time. (and by the way, get the CRC stuff, not "similar" - some of those "similar" looking carpets fuzz like crazy, wear out much faster than CRC carpet.)

By the way, running rubber on carpet is much more fun (IMO) than foam tires. Yeah, the speed is a bit less (rubber tires weigh more and grip a bit less), but the cars handle like cars, not slot cars that the foamies do. No more tires chuncking, no more tire truers with all their mess, a set of rubber tires will last you at least 5-6 weeks of racing before they become noticeably slower. Premount CS27's are a good way to go - spec tire, reasonably prices, and they work well on CRC carpet. I hear that RP's have somewhat better grip, but performance drop off is much more severe than CS27's, thus costly to race regularly.

Quote:
minidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via AIM to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via MSN to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked-Wayz

There you go dave hit it right on the head. He has worked with that stuff more than me. Thanks for the reply dave.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 09-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Rubber Tires on Carpet

dr_hfuhuhurr,

I was reading up recently on tires and I seem to recall a post quoting at least 4 different venues that could recommend rubber tires on carpet as being wear-safe. Despite a lot of searching I can't find that post now, however I thought it might have been by AdrianM (Schumacher Sales). Maybe someone else remembers it or you can find it. Or maybe if it was Adrian, he can post a reference for you. BTW, some of our guys (Parkersburg area) are headed to Platinum this weekend. I have a prior committment but hope everyone has a great race.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #10
Tech Champion

There are a ton of tracks that run rubber tires on carpet. Most of the carpet track west of the Mississippi run mostly rubber. There is zero increased wear from rubber tires. If anything foam tires should wear the carpet faster since they have more traction and pull harder on the fibers.

The big name tracks that run mostly rubber are:

S&N Trackside in WI
Rain City Raceway in WA
Stockton R/C Raceway in CA
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
Tech Regular

i think that makes sense... but i get the sense there is some propaganda to promote foams...
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I have always heard the opposite, that rubber will wear the carpet more than foams. One of the posts above said it, foam tires will lay down a groove much faster than rubber. Foam tires have more traction, but also take more of the abuse by wearing out the tire faster than the carpet. Rubber tires slide across the surface more, create more heat, therefore potentially breaking down the carpet fibers faster? I've heard that with rubber, the carpet takes the abuse rather than the tire.

We have two great tracks here in Detroit. One runs 90% foam and allows Paragon. The other runs 90% rubber and has outlawed Paragon. The rubber tire track is in far worse shape and replaces the carpet more often - like every other year. The track is gummy as the tire compound doesn't seem to ever evaporate. The fibers in the carpet are stretched out more and actually have worn through frequently at the end of the straight, where the layout rarely changes. I don't see the same things at the foam tire track.

So which is at fault for the faster wear, foam vs. rubber or Paragon vs. no Paragon?

My personal view on the foam vs. rubber issue. I think rubber tires are for asphault/concrete/pavement and foam is for carpet. If your track is going to run mostly rubber tire, then why do you need to spend the money on carpet at all? Rubber tires on concrete would seem to provide more of a traction challenge. And isn't that always the argument from the rubber tire camp, it's more of a traction challenge, so it's better than foam?
Motor City Hami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum
i think that makes sense... but i get the sense there is some propaganda to promote foams...
Holy reviving an old thread batman.

I was looking for info, a local track is thinking about it.

Blake

Old 10-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City Hami
I have always heard the opposite, that rubber will wear the carpet more than foams. One of the posts above said it, foam tires will lay down a groove much faster than rubber. Foam tires have more traction, but also take more of the abuse by wearing out the tire faster than the carpet. Rubber tires slide across the surface more, create more heat, therefore potentially breaking down the carpet fibers faster? I've heard that with rubber, the carpet takes the abuse rather than the tire.

We have two great tracks here in Detroit. One runs 90% foam and allows Paragon. The other runs 90% rubber and has outlawed Paragon. The rubber tire track is in far worse shape and replaces the carpet more often - like every other year. The track is gummy as the tire compound doesn't seem to ever evaporate. The fibers in the carpet are stretched out more and actually have worn through frequently at the end of the straight, where the layout rarely changes. I don't see the same things at the foam tire track.

So which is at fault for the faster wear, foam vs. rubber or Paragon vs. no Paragon?

My personal view on the foam vs. rubber issue. I think rubber tires are for asphault/concrete/pavement and foam is for carpet. If your track is going to run mostly rubber tire, then why do you need to spend the money on carpet at all? Rubber tires on concrete would seem to provide more of a traction challenge. And isn't that always the argument from the rubber tire camp, it's more of a traction challenge, so it's better than foam?
That is incorrect. You can Call Scotty Ernst the Promoter of the IIC and the Novak race and owner of S&N Trackside at (262) 783-4699 and ask him yourself. His racers run rubber and foam regularly and there is no diffrence in the carpet wear.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #15
Tech Elite

I think running rubbers would be safer...

ba-dum-bump!