R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Hi
Over here in the UK we have been running the Infamous T27`s (no additve ) for many years , then the UK woke up & all gone Rubber (additive) cs22,sorex 28 LRP/Nosram V-tech24r/27r about 3 years ago
we all run Ozite (prima felt GT ) no wear ,except on tyre`s

Absoloute godsend going over to Rubber/carpet saved many clubs from going under
90% of the UK don`t fun Foams it`s all rubber/carpet or rubber/asphalt

slighty slower then Foams by a lap or two , but nothing in it really

you have to relearn griproll setup though if running Rubber total oppisite too Foam

go over to it ,you won`t go back
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

forgot
the carpetwars link in sig ,this is in it`s 3rd year running carpet/rubber
1st year was t27`s , now it`s slicks
track it`s self is 24m x32m 12 rolls inall 140 drivers aswell all on 1 day
Ian is looking for 170 this time round (it`s going to be a long day )

Carpet look fine aswell
additive allowed is
LRP top carpet,Corrally tc2 carpet ,tc4 jack the gripper ,
none of that smelly paragon or other stinky one`s allowed !!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
That is incorrect. You can Call Scotty Ernst the Promoter of the IIC and the Novak race and owner of S&N Trackside at (262) 783-4699 and ask him yourself. His racers run rubber and foam regularly and there is no diffrence in the carpet wear.
That's not incorrect. I'm just telling you what I observed from two tracks that we race on here in Detroit. I just wonder if it is the tire or the traction compound that makes these two tracks so different. One wears out fast and gets really gummy by mid season and the other seems to stay in great shape. They get pretty equal amounts of racers. Just an observation, not sure what's really right?
Motor City Hami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City Hami
That's not incorrect. I'm just telling you what I observed from two tracks that we race on here in Detroit. I just wonder if it is the tire or the traction compound that makes these two tracks so different. One wears out fast and gets really gummy by mid season and the other seems to stay in great shape. They get pretty equal amounts of racers. Just an observation, not sure what's really right?

are they both GT primafelt or is one the Enduro type (cheap as chips) this one wears fast in like 1-2 season`s, but a good tester to see if club racers like the idea before splashing all the club`s money on GT (very expensive)
Old 10-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Carpet with foams lasts about 7 years. Rubber tires on carpet 2-3 years. This is my experience from different tracks. Ask Frank Calandra yourself. E-mail [email protected]
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Who had 7 year old carpet...lol! Everyone changes it every 3-5 years anyways.

The differences in carpet life are mostly due to carpet quality. The CRC foam backed ozite is awsome and very tough. The non crc stuff that a lot of guys bought a few years back was very poor in quality an could wear through in 2 years no matter what you ran.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Who had 7 year old carpet...lol! Everyone changes it every 3-5 years anyways.

The differences in carpet life are mostly due to carpet quality. The CRC foam backed ozite is awsome and very tough. The non crc stuff that a lot of guys bought a few years back was very poor in quality an could wear through in 2 years no matter what you ran.
Our track changed its carpet after 10 YEARS, and that same carpet is in use at another club...
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to S.Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor City Hami
I'm not an expert by any means, but I was told that Paragon will evaporate out of the carpet after a while, but other brands of traction compound remain in the carpet and build up after time.(thus the 'gummy' feel by mid season)
S.Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jack the Gripper and TQ products have less volatile solvents in them so they stay in the carpet and build up. Paragon is very volatile and can dry out of a track from Sunday night to the next Saturday morning.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Adrian laugh all you want. It's true.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Our track changed its carpet after 10 YEARS, and that same carpet is in use at another club...
it looks like USA guy`s have different carpet to us for some reason
coz this carpetwars carpet is going to last another 4-5 years no probs

maybe because UK uses much friendlier additive towards carpet

also the maritme club have GT aswell every thursday they race with 50+ drivers .tight track with rubbers . still showing well no probs even after 2 years worth of racing

Last edited by MR JOLLY; 10-12-2006 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling again !!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We found that after we put in the new CRC carpet last year, there was a problem with a gummy build up. The 12th scales really noticed it.

Stockton was having the same problem when they were getting ready for nats.
We stopped using the TQ, that has an oil base. The new carpet has a foam backing and seems to prevent it from airing out.
We never had problems with the older crc. We went to Gripper and it's been great. If you can get it. Hint to Corally
We also run a lot of rubber and now foam is coming out due to the season.

One thing to keep in mind is that rubber is less intimidating to the newer racers-all that truing, gearing and chunking that can happen.
So, ya got to get them in the door and happy. I've had racers run rubber tires for a couple of months, or 1 month and notice a difference.
I've also had racers run foam for a good month without chunking.
It all depends on the level and how they handle their car.

I haven't seen any difference on the wear on the carpets. It all goes eventually. We also run team trucks with street tires. I've had a track for 7 years and almost 99% of the tears and things that happen are from the screws and such. Change the track and keep everyone racing.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #28
Tech Adept

From what I have seen at my local tracks rubber wore out the carpet quicker.

*shrug*
mcgmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #29
Tech Elite

There are conflicting views. It would be nice to understand what causes premature carpet wear some places but not in others.

Who knows ?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Reilly
Carpet with foams lasts about 7 years. Rubber tires on carpet 2-3 years. This is my experience from different tracks. Ask Frank Calandra yourself. E-mail [email protected]
i hear this story being peddled before... hey tell me, what kind of tires does crc sell?? (jokes)
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote