R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubaboy
I have to agree with this one. As a programmer, my primary job for my old company was creating applications to reduce the time it takes to do manual processes, thus allowing employees to be more efficient; finally allowing them to reduce staff. (Then again, virtually all computer programming for businesses is geared this way). As a result, in a little over 3 years, I worked on several large scale applications that eliminated over 500 jobs. (sorry everybody!!)

Never think your job is safe. Somebody is always trying to think of ways to improve their bottom line at your expense.

Paul

As a manager at my current company it is a major part of my job to be as efficient as possible. I am tasked to look for ways to cut cost and reduce the amount time we spend working tickets. And thanks to RC Tech.net, I spend the time I should be spending on improving processes, on posting in this group, so my employees are safe. LOL
Old 09-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #32
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
As a manager at my current company it is a major part of my job to be as efficient as possible. I am tasked to look for ways to cut cost and reduce the amount time we spend working tickets. And thanks to RC Tech.net, I spend the time I should be spending on improving processes, on posting in this group, so my employees are safe. LOL
I know what you mean....I spend a lot more time than I should on here answering questions and trying to help guys only to be wished a slow death be guys like wild cherry!!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #33
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ahh, poor EA. If it means anything, you're by far the most likable of the popular motor tuners. And you do well at races, too, which gives you some street cred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I know what you mean....I spend a lot more time than I should on here answering questions and trying to help guys only to be wished a slow death be guys like wild cherry!!

EA
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #34
Tech Lord

Like any industry, people will adapt or die. It's already becoming apparent that BL motors are open to some tuning, though nobody even seems interested in learning about it and trying to make it a business.

I ran 3 different rotors in my 4300 last night. The original SS, the updated SS and the sintered. The original was the fastest, but was always on the verge of getting too hot. The updated SS rotor had the most torque, and also had trouble with theat. The sintered was a little slower, but never broke 120 degrees, and felt a lot more like a brushed motor with the increased drag due to the strong magnets. It could be geared up, but just got cooler, and didn't seem to be faster than the original. It's also the quietest of the three.

Last edited by syndr0me; 09-06-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

brushless will only become mainstream at an 'event level' if the manufacturers who stand to make money from it pay top tier drivers to use that equipment. if the top 20 mod guys in the US all were told to run brushed, you wouldn't see barely a brushless in a mod main anywhere.

i for one am interested to hear ea's (and other tuners) opinions about bl in regards to brushed being the equivelant of cassettes with brushless being the compact disc. obviously a third-party tuner will still be able to do things like wind the stator, balance/center (zap?) the rotor, but not too much else. do you foresee a reasonable market for third party tuners in a brushless era?
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:27 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Personally when it first came out i dint like it.. But now i do.. WHY?? because it has helped racing.. At least oval racing it has.. We have more people now having fun then ever before.. No more complaining about getting beat by someone who tweaks a better motor.. It has also helped people get faster.. WHY?? because they work on there setup more instead of worrying about motors..

The BRL series (Brushless Racing League) is doing very well.. They held an oval race last year, and they had 90 guys show up for it.. 90 guys in one class shooting for the title.. I didnt make it but i heard it was awesome.. Imagine no lathes, no weekly brush bill, no com drops.. No dyno's or motor break in equipment..

Most of the guys here, have not taken the motor out of the car in months.. They have not lost any performance either..

We use to have 3-4 classes with 3-5 people in each class.. Now we have 2 classes, with brushless being the largest.. It puts more fun back into racing, when your racing 20 people insteadof three..

The nova 13.5 has been being tested here lately.. It is very similar to stock.. i little faster, but not much.. I think it will be great for spec classes, or newbie classes.. The guys who dont know about motor tweaking, or justdont have the money to buy all the equipment associated with motor tuning..

I dont wish loss of business on any company, but i personally think eventually it will take over..

Also as far as sanctioning bodies go, they can not be depended on to form new rules.. Around here, everytone set a standard set of rules that works.. It has worked very well, withno ill effects.. If the bodies dont conform to helping the classes grow, i doubt people will even follow them.. Just look around at what th largest races are.. Moslty non sanctioned events..

For the touring guys who are worried about going 4 cell, the brushless motors and 4 cell will make your speeds alot faster then brushed and 4 cell.. maybe not so much in mod, but in 19t and stock the motors have more rip..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:21 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think most of the reedy drivers are now running BL exclusively and with more and more manufacturers developing or improving thier current line up I wouldn't be surprised if 8 out of 10 drivers in the next worlds are powered by brushless.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:38 PM   #38
Tech Master

if brushless took over someday....

I run NITRO

Team Associated/Reedy/LRP
STARSCREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:54 AM   #39
Tech Regular

there will always be brushed motors, ie silver can motors, as these are produced in the millions for fans, vacuum cleaners etc and are super cheap. I see future classes as "silver can", plus 13.5t Brushless and Open. which would be the logical equivalents to stock, and mod. plus maybe a few others.
Supernova
Nomadio
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #40
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Racing (besides mod) will be interesting. Classes will almost have to be based on a brand... example Novak 13.5 class. If not and its just (example) a 13.5 wind class what if the LRP or GM or Trinity etc has a 13.5 system thats faster? Well being a racer I would buy the latest fastest system... then Novak updates and its better... then I buy the Novak etc. To keep the (supposed) advantage of the Brushless motor systems (cheaper and last forever) you would have to limit each class to one motor/esc part number. This might not sit well with other companies who have spent $$ on R&D on their systems.
At least in the stock brushed class motors wore out, or could be used for lathes or serators when they became obsolete
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:30 AM   #41
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSCREAM
if brushless took over someday....

I run NITRO

Blinnnng !!! BlinnnG !!
cough ...
hack !

Just getting you use to Nitro ......
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:37 AM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
We won't know until it happens - I am sure that the tech in brushless will only improve ... as will brushed motors. At the end of the day, I doubt that brushless will take over, but they will be a larger part of racing.
NOTHING
The fast guys will still be fast and the slow guys will still be slow!
Skip109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:25 AM   #43
Tech Apprentice

what does going down to 4 cells actually do? ive read alot on this board that going down to 4cell will change things alot, but i don't really know much about batteries and whatnot.
SSJChar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to volracer

This is an interesting topic. There are alot of racers that run small business matching batteries and tuning brushed motors. They tend to support a significant number of racers. Thus the large number of stock entries at races. When LiPos and brushless motors become the norm rather than the exception, replace stock motors; then the conversion will probably be irreversable. But the tuners/matchers appear to be what is influencing the racing events in the form of the stock and 19 turn classes.
volracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:46 AM   #45
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJChar
what does going down to 4 cells actually do? ive read alot on this board that going down to 4cell will change things alot, but i don't really know much about batteries and whatnot.
It causes issues with voltage compatibility and LiPo cells. There's no LiPo combination that can get close to 4 cells like you can with 6 cells. There seems to be an ulterior motive for moving to 4 cells now, since it would greatly hinder the adoption of LiPo in R/C. Surprisingly, it's usually guys that sell batteries that are suddenly on the 4 cell bandwagon.