R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default I dn't think brushless will totally take over

In order for brushless to totally takeover, RTR's will have to come equipped with brushless. This, as we all know, will be crazy expensive and the not so popular but equally fun companies won't be able to compete. That being said, the governing bodies will try to ensure an equal playing field and the only way to do that, is running a brushed (cheap but functional) motor. If brushless motors start going down in price to where the average joe can afford them, you will see the quality start to diminish..*sic....hand wound vs machine wound. So, will brushless ever totally takeover? No. Will it be the force to be reckoned with as the technology improves and manufacturers shoot to be the top dog? YES!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
In order for brushless to totally takeover, RTR's will have to come equipped with brushless. This, as we all know, will be crazy expensive and the not so popular but equally fun companies won't be able to compete. That being said, the governing bodies will try to ensure an equal playing field and the only way to do that, is running a brushed (cheap but functional) motor. If brushless motors start going down in price to where the average joe can afford them, you will see the quality start to diminish..*sic....hand wound vs machine wound. So, will brushless ever totally takeover? No. Will it be the force to be reckoned with as the technology improves and manufacturers shoot to be the top dog? YES!
How is this for a RTR with brushless?

http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Def...rodID=LOSA0096
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #18
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
What will become of all them motor tuner`s ?

Guess they too will die away eventually.

Tooo ! Bad !
Nope....I would say you'll see some motor tuners with their own line of brushless motors down the road. Other's will (As you say) die off slowly and find another niche in the market.

As it is now the brushless rules are even more open than brushed motors so it's really not very hard to get into the brushless market

Also you may want to think twice about wishing someones line of work "dies" as it could very well happen to you one day as well....Then we'll all sit around and make fun of you being jobless holding a sign "Will work for brushless rc motor"

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull

Yup, it's a reality already.....
Old 09-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alberico
I think ROAR needs to structure something. And it won't be an easy task. IF you go to any "real" or "full scale" races, on the dirt or pavement they all follow NASCAR rules, and it is important that they do for the survival of the local racing and new racers and team even with the technology changing all around. Same with the R/C world, I know ROAR is not popular with some folks but it is important to stick with the rules and classes they have for the same reasons. Some tracks might try to start a spec brushless class, which I agree is the future, but ahead of it's time and will actually hurt the racer turnout.

I guess all you can do is sit back enjoy racing and wait for the the rules to adjust to the changing technology.
Dave, I just want to start off by saying that I'm NOT trying to pick a fight or flame. That said, this is a fairly narrow view of full-size racing. While the local-level circle-tracks (dirt and paved alike) try to keep things in line with NEXTEL, there are a truly staggering variety of other governing bodies and ladders out there that couldn't be further removed from NEXTEL/Busch. Examples include SCCA, Formula Ford/Mazda/Dodge, IRL, F1, etc. There are a variety of governing bodies to cater to the style of racing those particular individuals enjoy.

A very similar stratification exists in R/C. Those who are comfortable with brushless and lipo will very likely follow their drummer and run as they do. Those who prefer to stick with brushed motors and/or 1.2V/Cell (I don't pretend to know what technology might supplant NiMh) batteries will do that. It will only hurt the local racer if the majority of their fellow racers migrate to brushless and they can't afford to keep up. But the same is true for brushed if everyone starts running mod. You need to constantly rebuild to keep power levels up. Eventually the RTR racer's ESC turn-limit or pocketbook (for brushes and springs) will lock them out of a certain level of racing.

That said, I totally agree that the rules-making comitees will ultimately decide the fate of the various technologies. For the short term, however, the club-level racers will proceed as they see fit, and only until the rules explicitly prohibit their style of racing is that likely to change.
Johnboy Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
It will make racing much more straight forward for people like me...charge it...drive it.
UMM isn't that what we are doing now with the current cells??? Or well that is what I am doing. Charge them and run them......
Old 09-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #22
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggster
Hopefully we will see longer qualifying & main race times.
Like 10 minute quals & 20 minute mains!!!

I can't wait!!! Although I do like tuning my brushed motors to make them better, I'm sure the BL/LIPO classes will be growing in the years to come.
Tire Bill!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to TAMIYAMANUK

so we all never know there might be a class for brushless 27t and 19t etc
TAMIYAMANUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You will see people smiling and talking again since they will have a lot of spare time in between heats. lol
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme
UMM isn't that what we are doing now with the current cells??? Or well that is what I am doing. Charge them and run them......

I meant as apposed to run them, rebuild them, condition them (batteries), and run them again. I was reffering to the equipment needed to keep a brushed motor running as good as possilbe. As far as batteries, I believe the battery life is longer for Lipo vs. NiMh and don't need to be equalized as much...overall less time on motor tuning and battery conditioning.

So, charge them... then drive them...hope that makes more sense.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default There is room for brushed

There is room for brushed motors. Sorta like the people you know that refuse to get an ATM card and still have a bankbook. Better yet, the people who STILL don't have direct deposit. Or people who drive to work everyday but refuse to get an EZ-Pass. There is a snail line for people like that. So, until these people come on board, quit (or die), there will always be room for the archaic er um ahem, those who choose to run brushed.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #27
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I, for one, look forward to my EA tuned 4300.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to David Alberico Send a message via Yahoo to David Alberico

Johnboy Walton -

I didn't want to quote everything to make my post seem long. No problems, this is what these discussion forums are for. I see your point and I think an experimental class is ok for a large crowd or racer turnout where it isn't going to hurt. But in my area where the on-road turn out is very low having 20 guys try to go in 15 directions will hurt because then you have say touring stock, touring brushless (this motor only with NiMH cells), etc etc. Before you know it you have 10 races with 2-3 guys in each or the class of the week.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a feeling that Brushed will be gone from major events as far as mod goes within 2 years. That should boost mod class in the U.S. which is needed since it will be more convinient to run mod than lets say 19 turn brushed class

Now can any manufacturer come up with a full set of premounts for less than $30.00. lol
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Also you may want to think twice about wishing someones line of work "dies" as it could very well happen to you one day as well....Then we'll all sit around and make fun of you being jobless holding a sign "Will work for brushless rc motor"

EA
I have to agree with this one. As a programmer, my primary job for my old company was creating applications to reduce the time it takes to do manual processes, thus allowing employees to be more efficient; finally allowing them to reduce staff. (Then again, virtually all computer programming for businesses is geared this way). As a result, in a little over 3 years, I worked on several large scale applications that eliminated over 500 jobs. (sorry everybody!!)

Never think your job is safe. Somebody is always trying to think of ways to improve their bottom line at your expense.

Paul