R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TA-05 vs Sprint 2 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/128249-ta-05-vs-sprint-2-a.html)

crius 09-05-2006 04:02 AM

TA-05 vs Sprint 2

Hello from Russia!
I am having trouble deciding which car would be best for my first car (for race).
I would like to practice firs time, also, I am going to upgrade it in the future (if possible and necessary).
I have been considering these:
Tamiya TA-05 (Kit)
HPI Sprint 2 (RTR)

Unfortunately, now, prof. chassis (Pro4 or TRF415) is very expensive for me (400$ and 520$), but in the future I'm going to by it (if I been fun).

P.S. sorry for my English

rcnewb2004 09-05-2006 04:16 AM

Hey from Canada!

Crius, my chioce would be the TA05. its upgradability can make it perform to pretty much equivalent with the TRF415. I personally own a TA04-trf (the previous generation to the ta05) and a EVO5 (tamiya top of the line shaft car), and I feel they are extremely competitive cars. Only reason I don't win is because i can't drive fast.

However, a note is to check what the local racers in your area race and the hobby shops have in stock. Because not being able to race due to missing parts is a pain!!

Superkarter 09-05-2006 04:17 AM

Get the TA-05 it is a later design so it will be faster out of the box. Because it is newer it has more upgrades available.
Building the kit will help you know the car inside out which helps when somethig goes wrong at the track.
I would be spending money on tyres and batteries than a top level car because they are more fragile designed for racers who don't crash often.

Hope this helps

crius 09-05-2006 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Superkarter
Hope this helps

And, can you help me with opinion of components: R/C system, servo, ESC, accu

Is my choice correct?
Futaba t3pm
SERVO B-515 BB-MG
LRP A.I. Automatic Runner Reverse ESC
LRP Team Power 7.2V NiMH 4000 mAh

Superkarter 09-05-2006 01:52 PM

Radio is a good choice

never heard of the servo but the specs look good

I would get a new esc racing doesn't allow reverse and it is only rated to 18 turns so you would want to upgrade pretty quickly so get yourself a top of the line esc like the novak gts, gt7 or the gts futaba MC800.

For batteries get some IB 4200's up to if you want to get them matched but i would save my money and spend it on tyres to practice with.

cheers,
Tim

llamont 09-05-2006 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by crius
Hello from Russia!
I am having trouble deciding which car would be best for my first car (for race).
I would like to practice firs time, also, I am going to upgrade it in the future (if possible and necessary).
I have been considering these:
Tamiya TA-05 (Kit)
HPI Sprint 2 (RTR)

Unfortunately, now, prof. chassis (Pro4 or TRF415) is very expensive for me (400$ and 520$), but in the future I'm going to by it (if I been fun).

P.S. sorry for my English

Although I have never owned either cars, I would go with the TA05. It seems to be a very solid car for price and it can be upgraded as the budget permits. Also, check with your hobby shop to see the parts support. Good luck.

Loren

maxepower 09-05-2006 11:25 PM

BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST-SIR, with honors!

Hello from hot and sunny Southern California!
It looks as though everybody is suggesting the TA05. The fact that I live only a couple of miles from the Tamiya test track and their parts supply warehouse will definitely be biased on my choice........................ TA05 is a good choice. I have it and use it and love it! I also have the 415MSX and I love this one also.:sneaky:
Mostly run stock in the TA05 and 19 and 23 turn in the MSX.
Charger I use Pulsar, controller Airtronics and Futaba. They both work great. I'm actually using Futaba recievers on both but with the Airtronics controller I use Airtronics crystals. Seems to work fine. ESC- LRP Quantum and GTX. Both work great! Servo, for the money, it would have to be Futaba 9550! Again the greatest influence on you decision has to be parts availibility!:cool:
Break car , no parts , no racing! That simple!:weird:
Good luck
Wow, your all the way in Moscow! The internet is amazing, isn't it?:nod:
RC cars have come a looooooooooooong way!
Please excuse my writing and english!;)

maxepower 09-05-2006 11:45 PM

ONE STOP SHOP!!

One more suggestion I would like to make. When your ready to buy go here to RC TECH BUY<SELL>OR<TRADE forum. There's a lot of good deals and you'll save a lot of money in the long run. A lot of these racers take good care of their equipment and as long as you use paypay, there should be no problems.
I personally have bought a lot of cars parts and equipment and I have had no regrets, so far! So, even though it's not all new, if it's slightly used and in good shape, why pay full price? This hobby can be very expensive if your not a smart shopper. :eek:
Most guys here sell their parts and such because their upgrading or getting completely out of the hobby so they are motivated to sell at a fair price.
But, don't forget if the price is too good to be true...... it usually is, too good to be true!! Most racers post pictures of their stuff so you'll see how used it is , so you don't have to buy something sight unseen! Just my 2$
Again,Good luck shopping!:spidey:

shift 09-06-2006 03:41 AM

i would definatly go for a ta05 i have one myself and it is awesome and very competitive with the top of the line chassis . i have also used a sprint 2 and well there not very good they handle like crap.

rampal 09-06-2006 05:12 AM

TA05, definitely. get a couple of aramid belts and that's it.

Regarding radio, Futaba 3pm is OK. If that servo you put on lthe list is a Blue Bird, stay away from them, I've seen many of them just blowing away. Regarding the servo, as maxepower said, get the 9550, it will save precious space on the TA05. However, if you're just starting, no probs on using the s3003 that came with the radio, until you save enough money to the the 9550.

Batteries: no matter how expensive (matched, etc) are your batteries, if you don't care them, they will perform badly. Said that, invest on a good charger. Get a Duratrax ICE, best value for the money (or equivalent). Stay away from crappy chargers. Regarding packs, depends on what you want (race, bash, drift, etc). If you want to race, three good matched packs. if you want to bash, drift, etc, get as much as you can get (5-6) of good (but cheap) packs...

Esc: It has two sides: you have to buy it thinking on that it will be with you no matter which chassis you're using. Think on future and make a consious investment on it. On the other hand, there are plenty of models that can suit your needs, but ONLY your needs will rule you on deciding what to get. There is no point on getting a top of the line ESC (plenty of money) if you are not going to race in the short-mid term. If you're on the last case, I rather prefer to spend more money on FUN than on something that "will be good for the future". Think on both sides of the coin when purchasing electronics.

And most important: don't get the rush and buy everything at the same time... take your time to know your equipment and what you want from it.

cheers,
al

crius 09-06-2006 05:42 AM

Thank Maxepower!
I going to make my first car from new component, but in the future maybe I would like to buy some used equipment.
Besides, it's very interesting idea buys equipment in abroad, like US. Maybe, maybe… in the future!

If I don’t by T3PM now I have alternate variants: Futaba 2PL AM 27MHz , Aggressor FM 40MHz or GRAUPNER (3123).
What do you think about these?
And what prefer: FM or AM?

P.S. only here I can get nimble replay! Thank all!!!

TAMIYAMANUK 09-06-2006 05:51 AM

and as long as you use paypal
did i hear the word paypal,and that is not always true paypal do HAVE a nasty :flaming: side trust me they do!!!

but anyway before buying something from a fourm make sure they have good feedback from different people but i have never had a problem on here as the guys can be trusted with your life(well some of them) lol

rayman 09-06-2006 06:58 AM

tao5 or cyclone s. :tire:

ittjv 09-06-2006 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by crius

If I don’t by T3PM now I have alternate variants: Futaba 2PL AM 27MHz , Aggressor FM 40MHz or GRAUPNER (3123).
What do you think about these?
And what prefer: FM or AM?

Stay away from the Aggressor, it's really slow. Also, the 2PL is AM. For a little more you can get the 3PM which is FM. The 3PM is a GREAT radio and is fast. If you get the 3PM FS Pro you get sythesized frequencies and HRS (high response). Either way, between the radios you listed, go with the 3PM.