R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-03-2001, 06:03 PM   #1
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Opinions Wanted: Autoscore for Windows OR AMB's Sparc

Hi all,

Our track is considering upgrading its racing software sometime in the near future and is looking for some feedback on which software to go with. So far we are pretty sure we will end up with the AMBrc transponder system (digital transponders with the option of personal transponders).

The big question so far is which software package to go with. We have been using the old Autoscore program (the DOS based one) from B&B Software for what seems like forever. Our biggest concern is that we need a program that can do:

- points series from week to week
- maintain racer data from week to week
- qualifying heat re-sorts
- all of the other basic stuff

The question is, does anybody have any experience with the Sparc system that AMB is pushing, or with B&B's Autoscore for Windows program? Both claim to be compatible with the AMBrc transponder system so that is not an issue. We will be running the software on a relatively-recent Windows-based PC.

Either one is a big investment so we want to make sure we have what we want before we drop the money down for it.

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2001, 09:40 PM   #2

Our off-road club just bought sparc about a week ago. The off-road season is ended though, so we won't be able to test it until next season. So I can't say I have experience with it. The one downside to sparc, though, is that in order for you to use it to keep track of season points, you have to buy an add-on, which is at least another 100+ dollars. I don't know if that is the way when you buy the software seperately, but we got it with the system.

josh
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 03:39 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

http://www.jlapracemanager.com/

futureal - Try that link for an incredible piece of lap counting software...My track has been using it for almost a year really cool features: point system, voice command (will call positions throughout the race - countdown to start of race and start the race)...ability to post results on the web (hosted by JLap), on line registration etc... will support personal transponders and also has the ability to run more than 10 cars to a heat (great for running micros )

If you have any other questions, send an email to Drew (race director at PottBelly's) and ask him all about the package...His email is [email protected]...Tell him K-bo sent ya

You can check out the results at http://www.geocities.com/pottbellyrc/

Hope that helps...The autoscore program is nice but i think the JLap is the better package available
k_bojar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 06:16 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Have a look at Alycat, most clubs in Australia use this system...

www.alycat.com

SPARC looks but very expensive.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:28 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Go for JLap!
Old 11-04-2001, 06:31 PM   #6
R/C Tech Founder

I will check out the Alycat one.

I looked at JLap pretty extensively and I gotta say, that package looks great. The fact that they are upgrading the codebase to Windows XP tells me right away that they are dedicated to it. The AMB/Sparc stuff looks good also, but you're right, the price in insane and still needs a points add on. Autoscore's stuff works, but it has never really been top-notch.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:34 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

I ran the demo and fell in love with JLap. You get five (I think) free races and it was flawless. The full blown is around $750.
Old 11-04-2001, 06:44 PM   #8
R/C Tech Founder

That is right about on par with the other systems we are considering. Autoscore's system with the addons we need is about $750. The AMB/Sparc system ends up being around $900 without any of the addons (the cost is actually ~$1400 but you get 10 free personal transponders with it, which you can sell for $50 each).

So far JLap looks the most promising to me, and it is within our budget.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:03 PM   #9
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

shane...i like the jlap....lets try and get that...
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 09:48 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Shane,
They use the JL down in Jackson, MS at www.smallcarsunlimited.com
If you want a serious opinion from the track owner Ed, just call him. He's not a computer whiz, but he can do most anything he needs to on the 'puter and he can talk to you on an intelligent level.

I like the JL also......
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 09:59 PM   #11
Tech Champion

I'm actually developing my own, i'm a programmer by day so a timming system is not too difficult.

My full club system is about 6 months away (5 years in the making!) but i have almost completed a personal lap timing system. If anyone wants a copy (it will be free) just email and i will add you too the list.

It's windows based and runs on and Win9x/2000/XP or CE machine.

email: [email protected]
Old 11-05-2001, 07:28 AM   #12
Tech Champion

futureal - Another cool point about the JLap program is the tech support...the developers are really quick with responses and actually listen to the suggestions of its users I know my race director has talked to them several times with minor problems and within a couple of days - has a response and/or fix to the problem...

I've never dealt with them personnaly, but from what I see and hear, it is a very top-notch operation and consumer friendly
Old 11-05-2001, 03:52 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Anyone know if the PractiX software that AMB sells is a stand alone or does it need the Sparc to run?

Or is there a practice program like PractiX for the JLap?

Shane, if we can get a practice program I think the JLap is the best choice. The auto voice is MUCH better than listening to Matt!!
Flyin Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 04:06 PM   #14
Tech Champion

As far as I know, the JLap does have a practice mode...and the practice mode does support personal transponders too

The voice does a pretty good job of pronouncing names too Mary (JLap's voice) does sound much better than any track announcer I've ever heard either and She can call people by their nicknames or their proper names
Old 11-05-2001, 05:35 PM   #15
R/C Tech Founder

What, you mean you don't like listening to Matt crack jokes about the drivers on the stand as we go around?

I think the auto-voice thing at least gives us the option of running without an announcer when we have to, especially on the short days likes Tuesdays, or when the race directors are all in the same heat/main. I don't think you can replace a live announcer, but to have the option is great.