R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #16
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

The deadline for Roar submission's is today...Sept 1st. If the samples are not to the Tech director by the end of the day today they will not have a chance to be approved for 2007 Competition.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default ROAR Battery Approvals

ROAR battery approvals for this year are due today 9/1/06 so I hope they are already submitted. The IB cells have been awesome, but I love to see new cells come along hoping they might be better performance and/or price. It's amazing the upgrades in batteries the last 5 years.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
The deadline for Roar submission's is today...Sept 1st. If the samples are not to the Tech director by the end of the day today they will not have a chance to be approved for 2007 Competition.

EA
Unfortunately, nobody cares.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #19
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopemike
ROAR battery approvals for this year are due today 9/1/06 so I hope they are already submitted. The IB cells have been awesome, but I love to see new cells come along hoping they might be better performance and/or price. It's amazing the upgrades in batteries the last 5 years.
I was informed by EP that they have been submitted to ROAR.

2017 Canadian National Champion//2016 ROAR National Champion//2016 Canadian National Champion//2012 ROAR National Champion//Region 5 Champion//2011 Cleveland Indoor Champions
Gavin Creado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #20
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Very true being as I would guess about 90% of batteries being sold by everyone today are not being used at Roar events anyway. But figured I would post the dates just so everyone knew.

EA
Old 09-01-2006, 03:46 PM   #21
Tech Adept

I dont these are anything really knew except maybe this version of the cell. Cells are from a company called Grepow which has been around. Small company and basically maybe one or two people from Intellect a while back. I think (?) Pole Position has been selling these for quite some time although like all battery manufacturers these days....there is a different version each month :-)
ErnieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
HUH?

wow......
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentech
Looks like Orion are releasing East Power cells.

http://neidhartcomp.canalblog.com/

We use the Trinity/IB 4200shv cells. They are superior to EP4200 cells, I recently tested batches of both cells and I can tell you factually IB is the better cell at this time.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #24
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to ickvanovs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek the elite
www.feralbatteries.com.au
www.modelflight.com.au
Eastpowers are very good cells,

$Aus is only worth 0.75 $US
feralbatteries price are very competitive...

how is his matched EP4200 pack?
ickvanovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:37 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have been matching these Eastpower batteries for quite a long time and have found them to be very close to the performance of the IB4200 cells with marginally less voltage but a lower internal resistance. Their performance on track is indistinguishable from the IB cells.

The company is small and I have visited the factory (a very good story). With the purchases from Orion, I would assume that this company will grow very quickly.

Some points to note about these cells:

* Do not zero them (like IB cells)
* You should always keep some charge in these cells otherwise they will 'self discharge' which effects runtime
* The latest version (black positive washer) has IR figures from 1.4-1.6, lower than the IB4200SHV cells that I have been matching.

Once the self discharge question is understood, then you have absolutely no problems with these cells. As you can see from the comments from Australian racers who use my matched Eastpower cdells, the cells have proved very good. As for who is behind the Eastpower cell, the manufacturer is very quiet in this regard... however I neither know or care as long as I can get competitive cells. It is good to see another competitive company come along to compete with IB (which are very good cells as well) as it seems that GP is slowly heading the way of Sanyo.

My comments are also not based on my alliance to any battery company. I match all three brands of cells so I have no agenda to push unlike some other matchers

Last edited by cannon; 09-02-2006 at 05:02 AM.
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:27 AM   #26
Team EAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon
Some points to note about these cells:

* You should always keep some charge in these cells otherwise they will 'self discharge' which effects runtime
* The latest version (black positive washer) has IR figures from 1.4-1.6, lower than the IB4200SHV cells that I have been matching.
Your not supposed to Zero IB cells.
You have to keep charge in IB cells as well or they will self discharge and loose runtime
All the IB's I have done lately have been 1.4-1.6IR's as well....Even seen a few 1.3's....but they are rare. Guess you need to get your IB's from a better source as you may be getting sold old ones.

So it doesnt seem to be much different or "better" than any IB42's Ive seen.

EA
Old 09-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon
Zero IB cells?

Our IBs have been in the 1.4-1.6 AIR range as well... In truth, a .01 difference in the actual internal resistance measurement means nothing anyway.

Voltage is king and with that said, the IBs are still better in that aspect at this time.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:41 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
All the IB's I have done lately have been 1.4-1.6IR's as well....Even seen a few 1.3's....but they are rare. Guess you need to get your IB's from a better source as you may be getting sold old ones.

EA

No... my cells are direct from IB themselves so not old sold cells. In fact I had the 4200 SHV cells months before the matchers in the USA.

My comment was based on the fact that on average the Eastpower cells have a lower average internal resistance across the range. In fact they always have since I have been matching them. I have never said that the IB cells are bad or particularly worse than the new company. In fact the IB cells are very good cells. As I said, it is good to have two manufacturers with high end cells.

You mustr also consider my comments from the point that I match all brands so I have no position t push in the market... unlike some matchers tied to one brand
Old 09-03-2006, 08:41 AM   #29
Tech Rookie

Just contact the guy direct. [email protected] His name is Sam and he traded under several names.... Vigor, IP, east ect
partyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

IB will sell you old cells too It's not who you get them from really, its how many you buy that determines what yer getting......hence why the bigger companies will always get the better batches......just a part of the business.

Later EddieO