Wiki Posts
Search

stock motor ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default stock motor ????

how do you guy make a stock motor go fast i have the new trinity 27t motor the blue one you guy know it
Old 08-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Most people judge the CO27 based on its Watts. A good one will have 65+, the highest I've seen is a 71.

You can either cut it or rebrush it, both should help get it back to its start "like new" speed, sometimes faster. You can zap the magnets also. You could make sure you have it geared right, if it is getting hot it is probably geared too high, gear it according to the track. Low=accelleration, High=Top Speed.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default CO27

Last weekend I ran a Cobalt CO27 motor at Crystal Park in Compton and it was fast. By the main, I found the right gear which was 5.49 and I sprung up on the positive side of the brush using a purple spring and a red spring on the negative side. Another thing I used were Reedy 767 brushes. If you really want your motor to go fast, you can polish the bushings and have the commutator trued. Also give ample time to break the motor in. Seating the brushes will help get rid of radio glitches. Try breaking your motor in @ 2 volts for 5 minutes and you R money...

p.s. make sure you gear right. CP was a big track. I gear @ 6.2 over at SoCal which could be a 10 second lap.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

www.motortuningsecrets.com
Old 08-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

If you can find a copy of Big Jims RC Motor blackbook it is worth its weight in gold.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

1st step is aligning the brush hoods, i wouldnt trust ones from the Hobby SHop. Break in reeedy 767's for 2 volts for 5 min like he said, works asome!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default magnetic

Aligning the brush hoods is key, also center your armature in the magnetic field by shimming it properly.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Most Important Motor Tuning Tips

All the above are correct, To get started with the overall picture, go see www.rccars.com and look for articles from Big Jim, like "10 most important motor tuning tips". Jim passed away last year but they've kept the site up. Not everyone would agree with everything Jim said, but he spent many years perfecting his skills and wrote thousands of posts on motors. To get a base understanding, this is a good place to start. There's years of material you could read on this site, but you can pick a few of the key items and try them, then you'll know enough to make your motors fast enough until you get to be a really good driver. By then you'll either pick up other skills from others, or maybe be getting your motors from one of the tuners (local guy or online) that you like. By the way, regarding tuning choices, I do keep hearing that springs purple + and red - for touring car (and sometimes F brush, sometimes 767, sometimes 4499) are most likely places to find the best rpm/hp combination for the typical medium sized T/C track for 6-cell. I have found E brush (that's the 4499) to be best so far for the CO27 although I haven't procured the F brush yet to test it. However I am only getting 2 really top runs on the 4499 before I have to cut the comm again for max power. 767 is easier on the comm, also 3002, but neither seems to have the punch of the E brush. But I have been advised by some team and FT level drivers to get the F brush versus the other ones I noted above. And have fun - if you like tinkering you'll love working on stock 27 turn motors you get to play with them on a regular basis....