R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-20-2007, 06:01 AM   #856
Tech Adept

Default Front suspension

Hey John, I've been perusing this thread and thought you might be interested in looking at the front end these guys have available. www.SpeedyRacingParts.com It's in the products tab VelodromL3pancar. It might save some engineering time, although you seem to have already done quite a bit
losi nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:00 AM   #857
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Mathijs-This 3 trailing link rear suspesion is so superior in forward traction and cornering traction on asphalt that I don't think I will go back. I have a theory that the cornering traction improved in part by changes to the pitch center. I think the pitch center went up causing more immediate weight transfer forward on corner entry.

Losinut-I tried that link. It seems to be a fullsize car site search of some kind. I would like to take a look at the suspension. I like the HPI suspension that was posted previously except that it did not have a shock. I am still waiting for a couple small parts before I can test my new front suspension.

I found the link
VelodromeL3Pancar, http://www.speedysracingparts.com/id25.htm
Thats the DNA front suspension that we have discussed previously. It is too tall to fit under a GTP body.

Boomer,B.A.T racing. Thanks. Can't wait to test it.

John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #858
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

B.A.T. Racing?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #859
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade

John: that is an incredible ride you have there. when I first read this thread in the morning I didnt like the idea, comming from 12th scale the stock suspension is the simplest, but as i thought about it more and more, what you have done is spectacular and seems to work great.

I hope to aquire an L2 to play around with during the summer, mostly on carpet, but possibly on asphault a bit. I plan on keeping mine all stock. If these were still around as a racing class worldwide I would run only pan cars onroad.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #860
Tech Elite

Switch Blade - Thanks and thanks for the post. Well the proof is in driving the car. With any luck it will go into production. Maybe some day Cristian will drive it and give you another view. Welcome to the thread.

I will note to the naysayers, though, that I am modifying my own personal car in a class that died from lack of interest and from high speed handling problems (blowovers, car becomes missile type of problems) years ago.
There are still pockets of 1/10 on-road pan around, though. With some luck the class will be revived with a car that can handle the speed possible with LiPo batteries and the brushless system.
This class with this car has many advantages. I was hooked up well on asphalt with only medium traction at the last race. My rear tire wear was only .012 inches for 3 full heats of qualifying (no sugar water treatment). The car was easier to drive than it has ever been during the last race. My runtimes on a single charge are huge, 15 minutes or so. I have about 750 minutes of runtime on My Novak Velocity 4.5 R motor with only a bearing replacement. I would have gone through about 14 brushed motors on this same track in a touring car to get that much runtime and I am exagerating the life of the brushed motors during the summer. I did over motor the LRP Competition speed control and it failed with the 3.5 in the pan car. I actually suspect they downgraded the specs after I purchased it and they got some other failures. Either this, or 6 months is about the average life of a speed control that is used several times a week. I used it quite a bit before the failure.

Boomer-B.A.T racing is just the guy that posted after you, note comma

NeverStitch, Unique Stitch
Early in the thread Neverstitch was recommended to me to repair chunks and tire separations from the rim. I found some Unique stitch at a fabric store which must be similar. It is probably a latex adhesive. Worked great. Dried clear. Easy cleanup. Does not evaporate out of the tube and dry up. No odor.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-20-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #861
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Switch Blade

have you, or anyone for the matter ever run on carpet? There arent too many large carpet tracks in my area so im sure a 6 cell stock would do a very good job.

Very tempted to buy one with the money im getting from selling my 007. Does anyone know if stormer still stocks them?
Old 01-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #862
Tech Elite

Stormer has the Corally C10X and Corally CCT in stock. The Pantoura can be obtained directly from teamCRC.com. Darkside Motorsports and Hyperdrive also cells a narrow 1/10 pan car. Check the very first post for links and supplies.

I have not personally run my pan car on carpet, but I think 6 cell stock would be great on a medium size track. Check Boomers post at the top of this page. The cars will need few if any modifications to run on carpet.

Mikes-HobbyShop.com, where I run, will eventually have a medium size carpet track. I will test mine there when it is complete. Framing is underway.

LJohnson-I was able to flip my front shocks over. It turns out the steering link limited steering throw just before the rim touches the shock, so I had a little more room. I have blue Aluminum adjustable shocks there now.

The pic shows the extra room I made for the steering link to move forward and back. I was able to move the servo back 1/2 inch or so by running the links off the front of the servo saver. Things are looking good for a successful test. I am still waiting for the combination ball/kingpin that will beef up the upper shock mount. We have had rain the entire week.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-front-suspension-prototype-g-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-21-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #863
Tech Initiate

Default mikes

hey john missed you at the track .binson called me this morning and said some racers were at mikes drying off the track i got there about 2pm not a whole lot of guys out today .ran the serpent with the momo 962 body on it with some tire pooki and had decent traction but the track was just to saturated and water was seeping from underneath at the end of the strait ran a few tanks and went home i thought for sure you would be there . the track was cleaned and if the sun shines tommorow will be a good day to test that bad boy of yours. if you go out to mikes give me ring i really want to see your new front suspension in action i will probably start on my pan car hear soon after you are done with your testing . keep up the good work .
p.s i have seen all the other pan cars and yours is still more cutting edge than the rest out on the market awesome work john keep it up .
B.A.T. Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #864
Tech Elite

B.A.T racing-Thanks. Sent you a Private Message.

The track was very green low traction with some dampness toward sundown.

We had a short practice session today. I tested the new dual dynamic A-arm front suspension. Manners on the straight were excellent. Can't wait for race day when traction will be up. Nothing broke in spite of some hard sparring with Tony's outlaw gas car. He is running a new Serpent Porche 962 GTP body in MoMo colors on his Nitro. It should fit a narrow pan car as well. It looks really nice.

My front suspension had a blue VCS spring installed at first. I had too much turn in. I changed to the red spring which was much better, still a touch to much turn in. I can tinker with the front roll center and raise it up a bit. I see on my own link that Associated makes a 1/10 pan 16 lb spring. I'll order one.The red spring is a 14 lb. I can make this spring a little stiffer by cutting off half a coil or so as well. Things are looking very promising. I am still waiting on my beefier parts. I made some minor durability upgrades that held up pretty well for now.

I needed very little steering throw compared to the previous front suspension. I was worried about not having enough. The car is pushing much less.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-22-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #865
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey John can you adjust the caster any? That might help turn in (less turn in) and not effect mid and exit steering. Will be there this weekend at all? I should be there around 1 or 2 Saturday. Need some practice for Sundays race (SWS).

See ya soon,
Joe maxey
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #866
Tech Elite

Joe-I can adjust caster. I probably have less than the 4 degrees that I like to run. I have not measured it. I may have to shave the arm a little as I have max caster that I can put on with shims. Might see you Saturday.

I received my batch of parts. The Duratrax Ball/kingpin miked at .169 . It was easy to chuck this in the dremmel and sand the ball down to .158 to fit my RC18 shocks. The shaft is .098 inch. I will drill the upper A-arm and mount to fit this. Nice.

John
Old 01-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #867
Tech Master

Cool hope to see ya. 6 degree or so would help some.

Good luck,
Joe maxey
Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #868
SKJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

John
Try Murdock R/C for VCS springs.

http://members.fbx.com/~rmurdock/win...recision_Parts

He has some spring rates that are in between the Associated springs.

Steve
SKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #869
Tech Elite

Steve-Thanks. I really don't need much of an increase. I will look for a 15 lb/inch at MurdochRC. They have a pair of copper 15# springs listed for $3.00.

I increased my caster by one spacer. It measures about 5 degrees now. I raised the roll center just a tiny bit. I put in my Traxas ST(2) ball/kingpin. It is just a tad short for my application, but I think it will work OK. It is certainly very strong at the shock. The IRS "aluminum kingpins" were steel and had a fairly large (heavy) button head to be used as a spring seat. I ground the head down for my application to lighten the piece. I liked the nut adjustment of play on the part, but it it the same weight now as the TiN coated pin I had.
I had some rubbing at the rear. I lenghtened the Panhard bar to eliminate it. The car will probably work well the next session.

My 1 1/4 x 8 x 32 TPI yellow Associated Aluminum screws had several sizes listed on the part depending where you looked at Tower. They came 7/8" and blue which is too short. I plan to use the 1 1/4 screws with some spacers to do a neat extension on the lower arm. I will look for a part number and reorder. I used brass screws and superglue on my temporary arm. This glue up looks to be a stout method to extend the lower arm. I used a RC18 long ballstud all the way through the outer end of this lower arm. It probably should be glued in as well to keep the part strong.

Joe-your signature makes me feel bad.. Hope to see your hyperdrive pan car one day.
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 01-22-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #870
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Joe-your signature makes me feel bad.. Hope to see your hyperdrive pan car one day.
John

John that is for the guys that can't drive. I have seen you drive and you make that pan car dance. lol.

Man after watching you work on this car I am scared to run my Hyperdrive. I think I will wait for you to release the JS07 1/10th scale pancar. It will change the way we look at eletric cars in the future. Put me on your list of buyers.

Li-po,Brushless and a good handling pan-car is the future (I think). 10 minute Quails and 20 minute mains. I can't wait to see you ride in person again.

What is the largest mah li-po have you put in the car so far?

See ya bro,
Joe