R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2006, 10:44 AM   #721
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,214
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3
i have been tossing the idea around about doing a 1/10th pan/touring car.i like the pan cars due to the simplicity yet effective layout.i think it would be really cool to see more emphasis put into these types of cars.touring cars are just pricing themselves out of the market.

side springs will definately add some front traction.i would even try to go as far as adding a side shock with a red spring as a potent side dampener and spring combo.that should help the loss of traction mid corner and exit by slowing the spring tension during its return movement.damper tubes are just too weak in my oppinion.
hmm a DB10???? I want one
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #722
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,838
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

maybe after the birds i will mess around with one.
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #723
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Thanks for the post and the interest guys.



Mathijs-So I guess that T-bar is acting a little like a Watts link then. The roll center of a Watts link equipped car is at the center pivot of the Watts link. When you lowered it you lowered the roll center apparently. I had no such luck when I lowered my center pivot or at least there was not enough change for me to tell on my link equipped Pantoura.



Now here is a test I would like you to run. Try to get a Corally 17 tooth pinion and see if you can fit a 128 spur to test that 3.5. You will notice a huge difference coming out of the corners compared to a taller gear. I have these two gears in hand now for a test with my 3.5 which is also 6 cell equivalent. My gold 12 tooth pinion is wearing quite a bit better, but I don’t think that it is in current production. There are some at Stormer.

John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #724
Moderator
 
Pro ten Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Druten/Holland (Europe)
Posts: 1,677
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

17 to 128 with what size of a tire?
Let me know, and I'll do so the next time I get a chance to get out and test it!

I agree on the Tbar theory. I think the roll centre bot front to back and sideways went down increasing the rear traction.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a pair of CRC micro shocks for testing.

Mid 70's Fahrenheit? WHat's that in Celcius? Oh wait, I don't even want to know!
__________________
http://www.rc-lemans.de/
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #725
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,838
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro ten Holland
17 to 128 with what size of a tire?
Let me know, and I'll do so the next time I get a chance to get out and test it!

I agree on the Tbar theory. I think the roll centre bot front to back and sideways went down increasing the rear traction.

I'll see if I can get my hands on a pair of CRC micro shocks for testing.

Mid 70's Fahrenheit? WHat's that in Celcius? Oh wait, I don't even want to know!
probably about 35-40 deg. celcius
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:00 PM   #726
Tech Elite
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ocala, Florida
Posts: 4,910
Default

28c = 82F. . its 69F roughly 20c here currently and i'm just over an hour north of jason.
__________________
Mason McCombs
NewRed Hobbies & Indoor Facility
Off-Road, Dirt Oval, Crawlers & Pullers
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #727
Tech Lord
 
protc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Spring Hill,Florida
Posts: 10,838
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

oh damn,i was way off
__________________
Jason Breiner
BMI Racing
Team Associated
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #728
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

2.40 inch tire. New tire.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #729
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

MaxAmps.com Battery’s

Here is a pic of the dual MaxAmps 4000 mA-h batteries mounted on the Pantoura chassis that I am using for the new Four Link Suspension that I described on the previous page. They are a nice fit to this chassis. Very rectangular and no wasted space on the ends. Just over 3.5 inches wide for the pair. This fits nicely between my lower links or the stock Pantouras side links. This gives me 8000 mA-h of capacity plus the extra weight I seem to need to make the suspension work smoothly over the bumps. The two batts weigh in at 13.8 ounces which is about the same as one six cell NiMH pack.

I have removed the battery top brace because I will no longer need a center shock with the four link suspension. I have removed the football which allowed me to move the battery back 1/2 inch in the chassis. The speed control will be mounted high and aft above the rear part of the batteries. This weight removal along with the center shock removal will compensate somewhat for the new pieces that I am adding.

I have located a source for some 1/4 inch G10 that I am going to use to make a suspension rail on the left side of the car to reach my Panhard Bar. This rail will also be a Battery stop at the rear. This extra forward extension will reinforce the rear wings that are on the back of the chassis. The G10 in the pic will be replaced by quasi grade graphite plate in a thinner and lighter piece.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-four-link-rear-suspension-battery-fitment-001-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 12-26-2006 at 03:20 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:39 PM   #730
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,214
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
MaxAmps.com Battery’s

Here is a pic of the dual MaxAmps 4000 mA-h batteries mounted on the Pantoura chassis that I am using for the new Four Link Suspension that I described on the previous page. They are a nice fit to this chassis. Very rectangular and no wasted space on the ends. Just over 3.5 inches wide for the pair. This fits nicely between my lower links or the stock Pantouras side links. This gives me 8000 mA-h of capacity plus the extra weight I seem to need to make the suspension work smoothly over the bumps. The two batts weigh in at 13.8 ounces which is about the same as one six cell NiMH pack.

I have removed the battery top brace because I will no longer need a center shock with the four link suspension. I have removed the football which allowed me to move the battery back 1/2 inch in the chassis. The speed control will be mounted high and aft above the rear part of the batteries. This weight removal along with the center shock removal will compensate somewhat for the new pieces that I am adding.

I have located a source for some 1/4 inch G10 that I am going to use to make a suspension rail on the left side of the car to reach my Panhard Bar. This rail will also be a Battery stop at the rear. This extra forward extension will reinforce the rear wings that are on the back of the chassis. The G10 in the pic will be replaced by quasi grade graphite plate in a thinner and lighter piece.

John
cant wait to see the end results!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #731
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Me too. I have the lower pod plate marked out on some graphite sheet.



Mathijs-I see you have the bump steer back under control.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-mathijs-pro-10-12-25-2006-resized.jpg  
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:46 AM   #732
Moderator
 
Pro ten Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Druten/Holland (Europe)
Posts: 1,677
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
28c = 82F. . its 69F roughly 20c here currently and i'm just over an hour north of jason.
Oh damn! I knew I shouldn't have asked!
It's about 5 degrees celcius here with aslight drizzle.......

Let's see:
2.4" = 61mm diameter
With 17/128 that makes a rollout of 25.45 mm.
That was about what I had on the car. As far as I could tell on the damp track it felt good.

On the 5.5 motor I noticed the following:
Top speed was highest with rollout between 32 and 33 mm, but runtime was reduced dramatically compared to a slightly lower rollout.
Furthermore, the motor runs dramatically hotter with a too tall gearing.
The car ran best with rollout between 29 and 32mm.
In that range it didn't really care where you are exactly, it will be about equally fast.

Let's see how the 3.5 fares!
__________________
http://www.rc-lemans.de/
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #733
Moderator
 
Pro ten Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Druten/Holland (Europe)
Posts: 1,677
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Me too. I have the lower pod plate marked out on some graphite sheet.



Mathijs-I see you have the bump steer back under control.

John
Yes I've added Corally servo mounts. Combined with raised ball studs the bumpsteer is about zero now.

Best christmas wishes to everyone!
__________________
http://www.rc-lemans.de/
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #734
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Merry Christmas to all.

Four Link Rear Suspension with Panhard Bar Continued

Here is a pic of the new custom pod plates. The upper links will be angled slightly for convenience in changing the spur gear. Shocks and springs are on order. It will be a few days.

Mathijs-So the reason I don’t just post the rollouts is that it only gives you part of the story. A guy needs to know what spur to buy what pinion is available. Is the spur too big to fit on the car. Now I am still wondering how you got that 25 mm/rev gear on your car. Did you find a source for a 16 steel 64 pitch pinion?
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-four-link-rear-suspension-pod-plates-finished-resized.jpg  
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:32 PM   #735
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,777
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan
Default

Four Link Continued

The four links are complete. The suspension is really supple with these long links. Very little suspention friction. Coil over Shocks and Panhard Bar to come. I put a spacer under the rear of the chassis to hold it up at ride height. That is a 93 tooth spur. Pinion is not meshed yet.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-four-links-finished-002-resized.jpg  
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks John Stranahan Electric On-Road 839 11-01-2011 04:31 PM
Xray T2R, 2100 mah 2c LiPo, and Mabuchi power: Tech tips and Tricks gacjr0 Electric On-Road 46 11-18-2007 10:09 AM
tips and tricks XXX-NT streetstock Electric Off-Road 2 05-13-2005 10:50 AM
Tips & Tricks Steevo Electric On-Road 54 08-08-2003 10:09 PM
Tips And Tricks rctc3 Electric On-Road 36 03-10-2002 10:54 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:22 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net