R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2006, 09:43 AM   #646
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

My Pantoura graphite nerf wings are shorter. They will end up aproximately where the extra body hole is in the body. I had my original body post mounted on the tips of the graphite wing. Yes the body post will capture the long back piece that swivels hopefully. I could make some solid graphite ones if this does not work out. Thanks again.

John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #647
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you get good bite out of those greens? we have pretty good traction here even without stuff on the track, and when i tried greens it was pretty tough.. maybe mine are just old? what is the shelf life of open tires? my whites are much better, but as expected, wear is a problem... as for running saddles.. i still run himh's and without the cutouts, they tend to be hard to mount, that is why i asked about saddle packs...

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #648
Tech Elite

TallyRC-Powell should have a saddle pack wide pan conversion foryour car and NiMh in the future. I have no new news, but he does monitor this thread.

The Jaco greens are a satisfactory substitute for GRP pinks on my track. The Jaco pinks are more like GRP Magentas; both of these are a little too hard even when the track is high bite. Try some Corally Jack the gripper on those old greens. I don't know the shelf life, but when I touched some 3 year old used greens on a guys car they were mighty hard to the touch.

Boomer-I put some tape on the inner part of my nerf wings. If I break it, the tape will catch the short piece. If I don't break it, I can remove the tape later.
John
Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #649
Tech Elite

Track Report: air very damp track cool. Traction not so good in some corners due to the moisture, but good enough for a few short tests.

Novak Velocity 3.5 R-Two thumbs up. I had to gear it at 7.5 (90 spur/12 pinion, large tire) for it to wake up. I had tried 7.38 which was my limit previously. Acceleration on the short straights was better than before. You just have to see it to believe it. Top speed was about the same as it is more traction limited over the irregularities than motor limited.

Front Shocks.- Two thumbs up. There was no tendency for the front to lift on this car in lightweight trim.

Powell Chassis - Two thumbs up. The chassis accomplished my three goals: lower gearing possible, Perfect side to side balance, clean looking front end. As a bonus I got a nice mounting place for front shocks, lighter weight, and motor R &R through the bottom hole of the lower pod plate. I have been oiling my motor rear bearing about every four sessions. I oil the front every session, but this does not require removal. I no longer need to remove the top plate.

Doug-When is that wide RC10L3T kit going to be available.

Small Radius Servo Horn- Just not enough travel.

Jaco Green Rears- The 3.5 started to shred the green Jaco rears. I reduced the time that I applied traction compound to between 5 and 10 minutes. Then they were OK. Forward traction was very good considering track conditions.

I have more brakes and more natural drag brake than before due to the lower gearing.

I did set up the car with 0 caster, 0 reactive caster at the end of my session but the track had deteriorated. It was wet now. I ran Red 10 # springs to get the same steering feel as the Purple 12-14 # progressive on the other car. I'll check these numbers in a bit. The colors are right. The front shocks are bone stock RC18-T mini truck shocks as delivered.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 12-06-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #650
Tech Apprentice

wow im in love with that car.....i definately will be getting a 10th pan this summer!!!....hopefully the class will get more popular by then
slicvicpr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #651
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
yyhayyim, rule of thumb is that T Bar cars work better on asphault and Link cars work better on carpet. I don't know why this is, and I supposed a top level driver can make either work....

I need to drag out my L3T again... I have many more cars than I have electronics for... Plus, I have to keep saddle packs... I think I'm going to pick up a Maxamps saddle pack and pretty much leave it in the car....
Yo Allan.....Did you ever get a Pantoura.....after looking at this thread i wanna get one!
slicvicpr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #652
Tech Elite

SlicvicPR87- Welcome to the thread.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #653
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvicpr87
Yo Allan.....Did you ever get a Pantoura.....after looking at this thread i wanna get one!
I have a RC10L2 and a RC10L3T... I've been eying the Pantoura solely because I don't have to run saddle packs....

If I don't get my Xray to handle soon enough I'm going to start running a pan car again....
Old 12-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #654
Tech Elite

what is wrong with your xray. i have a T2 and my only complaint is the cost of parts.. pm me so we don't get derailed here.. as for the eyeing the pantoura. i'm thinking just get the wide conversion and build your own.. personally i am waiting to see what doug or MLP coes up with as far as wide cars goes.. i just don't want a complicated front end..

Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #655
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

John, that sounds like a great compromise!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #656
Tech Elite

Associated Nissan Wide Pan GTP Body

If you are new to the thread. The Reason for much of the recent discussion on new front suspension and low profile shocks is to be able to fit bodies such as this Associated Nissan Wide Pan GTP body (in stock at Stormer) while at the same time achieving 60 mph or so without going airborne on a bumpy long straight. I'll give it a test tomorrow.

Pic of the 1986 full size car

Schematic of the guts of the car in a cutaway style
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-associated-nissan-gtp-body-001-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 12-21-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #657
Tech Elite

I had a short conversation with Doug Powell by e-mail. He said that the wide pan conversion for RC10L3T will be available soon. Interest in this thread has convinced him to proceed.

Someone should gauge interest in a complete car like the one pictured above with front shocks. It would not be too hard to add four holes to and existing chassis CNC program.

John
Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #658
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
Powell Chassis - Two thumbs up. The chassis accomplished my three goals: lower gearing possible, Perfect side to side balance, clean looking front end. As a bonus I got a nice mounting place for front shocks, lighter weight, and motor R &R through the bottom hole of the lower pod plate. I have been oiling my motor rear bearing about every four sessions. I oil the front every session, but this does not require removal. I no longer need to remove the top plate.

Doug-When is that wide RC10L3T kit going to be available.
Thanks for the props. The replacement "L" chassis will be available shortly. I'm planning to offer a chassis brace also. With the chassis, chassis brace and the top and bottom plates that we already offer, you can build a wide "L" by converting a 1/12, a 10L3T or completely from scratch using the parts of your choice.

Speedmerchant and TOP USA dealer.
DPowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #659
Tech Elite

i understand the problems associated with overhead when running a small business, but the option of offering an all in one box setup would be nice. once upon a time, everybody had a pancar laying around, these days there are probably a lot of people interested in them, but have never actually had one or owned one, and the prospects of having to pick and choose and piece a car together may be daunting.. i have been in the hobby now since about 88', and my 10l3t, which i bought just a couple months ago, is my first pan and i'm still learning.. maybe at the least every wide kit should come with a parts list of "recomended" items needed to complete it including part numbers? regardless, once i survive december financially (my twins birthdays, my wifes birthday, my fathers birthday, and oh yea jeasus' birthday so the twins and the wife over again +) sign me up for one..

Last edited by tallyrc; 12-08-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #660

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cut out the area's I marked on the below photograph if you need more steering.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-associated-nissan-gtp-body-001-resized.jpg