R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #556
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

yyhayyim-The fellow was in error. He admitted so later. Put the pointed end toward the spur. There is an ocassion where you run the cone the other way, but it requires the purchase of a special thrust bearing. There is a picture of this type of thrust bearing later in the thread. I don't think you need this special thrust bearing. Just assemble the diff like the two schematics suggest. Every once in a long while check the outer bearing by placing it on the end of a pencil and give it a spin with the pencil while pushing on it with the pencil and holding the outer race. If it feels rough replace it.

John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #557
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
yyhayyim-The fellow was in error. He admitted so later. Put the pointed end toward the spur. There is an ocassion where you run the cone the other way, but it requires the purchase of a special thrust bearing. There is a picture of this type of thrust bearing later in the thread. I don't think you need this special thrust bearing. Just assemble the diff like the two schematics suggest. Every once in a long while check the outer bearing by placing it on the end of a pencil and give it a spin with the pencil while pushing on it with the pencil and holding the outer race. If it feels rough replace it.

John
Thanks buddy...Ok, its set and working nicely. Now lets see what it can do. Running it at 6mm F&R.

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #558
Tech Elite

YYhayyim Good. Give us a report. Another note. The set screw on the left side rear hub should have a flat filed onto the axle. Use blue locktite on this screw as well or it will get loose. Some time in the future get a double clamp on style hub from IRS.

Steve-Thanks

Front Shocks

I actually get good motion of this shock as the suspension goes up into bump. I think I'll get more shock travel with a newer tire and taller shim stack under the A-arm. Might work. I'll need to get a matching shock for the other side. VCS Microshock with 2 x 56 ball cups on both ends. I might get some more travel with a shorter shock.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-front-shocks-002-resized.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-front-shocks-bottom-view-resized-004.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-15-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:27 AM   #559
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Do you actually get shock action? Wow.

I was thinking you could take your sway-bar mount, create a "half-bar" with a 90deg bend inboard and you could take both shocks between the suspension mount area. . .does that make sense?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:35 AM   #560
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
Do you actually get shock action? Wow.

I was thinking you could take your sway-bar mount, create a "half-bar" with a 90deg bend inboard and you could take both shocks between the suspension mount area. . .does that make sense?

You could also srping it on the shock and get rid of the spring on the kingpin....
Old 11-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #561
Tech Elite

Boomer- I get some shock action. 2mm maybe. I think that's enough. I might need 40 weight oil. I'll see. I still need to wait for the second shock. I thought about using the sway bar. I made a post up above.

I think the linkage is too weak to support the spring. (The spring would also have to exted in bump). I'll be lucky if it survives the shock. I'll test the linkage with one shock on Friday.

Now if you know of a shorter shock give me a link. I could place it more vertical and get more shock travel. I have plenty of steering throw with this setup.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-30-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #562
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i know it will only be slight, but with the shock angled forward, will the resistance of the shock creat momentary caster issues on extention and compression because of the flexability of the arms? isn't that why shocks are "in-line" with the action of the arm?

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #563
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking

by the way, when all this "research" is done your going to need a new car.. starting to look like swiss cheese..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #564
Tech Elite

I have all the pieces of a new car on the way.

I don't think the caster issue is going to be a problem. This extra motion might be beneficial on the bumps to help extend the shock. The bumps will tend to force the front suspension back. What I want to do is slow down the rebound of the suspension and absorb some energy in bump. A little extra extension will aid this. A shorter shock would aid this some more. I could improve the angle. I did not really find anything shorter on the market after some effort. The Mini T shock is actually quite long.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-16-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #565
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Shock Possibility- Xray M18

What about Xrays M18, or the N18. here is their link:

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...ame=XRAY%20M18.

There are pics here of their car from the rear view and you can see its shocks. THey are very small and should work Ok on our cars!

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #566
Tech Elite

I will look at those x-ray shocks. I have a suspicion that they are like the mini z shocks in that they look like shocks but are really just two plastic tubes that slide together. Hard to tell from the photo.

Here is a link to the shocks

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/showimage.php?img_id=8249&crt=4f6312fa44a894eab0d0 22fce42592bf

I really need o ring sealed fluid filled shocks for my application.
thanks for the link.

John
Old 11-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #567
Tech Elite

Another shock pic. Picked up a mm of shock travel by removing the cap and gluing a rod end directly to the shaft. This improves the angle. Maybe it will hold or maybe not. I can put the cap back on if it fails.

When I get both shocks in I'll make the shock end more rugged. I will drill an associated long 4-40 set screw center out with a 1/16 inch cobalt alloy drill bit and make a 1/4 inch long hollow stud. The allen hole in the set screw will act as a good pilot hole. I will then install this on the shaft end with Red Loctite. This could then be held with a small pair of diagonal cutters on the last thread and the short ball cup screwed directly onto the shaft after the Loctite cured.
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-front-shocks-cap-removed-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 11-16-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #568
Tech Master

I have not found time to finish mine!

But here it is

Selling HPI F10 Front Knuckles and Complete Rear Axles W/Diffs Ball and Gear.
W/12mm TC Hubs & W/14mm F1 Hubs Good for std bearing Pans cars. STD Bearings!
eBay item number: 200947192161,200947193175,200947187493

Last edited by Marty Peterson; 08-03-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Marty Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #569
Tech Regular

Marty

Whoa! that's a nice mamba max set that you have. Tell us more about its performance on track. I am looking for a replacement to my Novak and LRP sets, they just too delicate for hot and humid tropical weather of malaysia.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #570
Tech Master

John:

How about a single shock to connect the upper Arms? Associated had a conversion kit doing that many years ago. It also used some of the Buggy front suspension parts (from the original RC-10 buggy).

Also there is a company in California that makes a two shock front end for pan cars that race on velodromes. Here is a link to three photos of the car:

http://www.swiftracingproducts.com/T...lo_Chassis.cfm