R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #451
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

mine is the team, so it has the 3 shocks already.. i'm just getting worried as the guys in my club have now all ordered 10l's which are much wider and given your description of how much faster your wide car was..... yikes..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:41 PM   #452
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Your team RC10L3 has some advantages over a RC10L. You may be able to put the power down better. Your "trick" front and 3 shock rear suspension is certainly a bit better. Your car will be lighter unless you have to add ballast. What motor are you using. If near a stock motor the advantage may evaporate. I suspect you will run your car as is against the RC10L and see what happens. Give us a report.
I wish I had some lap times from today, but I suspect Robert runs about 17-18s laps in practice trim on the short course (the record is 15.9). My car was doing laps on the long course a bit better than 17-18s today. That's maybe a 2 second advantage over my narrow pan car now. (Track pic showing the shortcut toward the bottom of this track page). I am still well off the track record 1/8 scale during a race, but I am getting closer. I might be faster with the narrow car now too, though. Skill builds a little slower than with a touring car. You also can always run a little faster in a race with people right on your tail.
(just joking on the "trick")
John

Note: there is a new track report on the lowered servo mod and Murdoch front suspension mods on the previous page.

ps. Starscream we are still wondering what your post means.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-28-2006 at 11:17 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:47 AM   #453
Tech Elite

i only think the "trick" comment is funny becasue i didn't come up with it, it was like that when i bought it. well atleast the long king pins were installed, i did put in the progressive springs thought they too came with the car.. have you ever seen the vans invent bodies? used to be dahms and they have lots of bodies that fit our cars, both wide and narrow.. GTP, lola, sedan (235, and 190 and 200mm) and F1 bodis which i am interested in as there is a group boasting to be one of the biggest F1 rc groups anywhere withing a few hours of me. they said i can run with them with an F1 body on my car... http://www.vansinvent.com/

Old 10-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #454
Tech Elite

let me amend that. parma hasa 235mm touring body, but vansinvent has lots of other bodies for us.. here is the parma 235 tourer...

Old 10-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #455
Tech Elite

Thanks for the posts. Nice bodies at Vansinvent.com. I added these to the list in my first post along with this comment. VansInvent.com A nice broad selection of GTP (open and closed cockpit) and F1 bodies with front and rear wing that will fit both narrow and wide pan cars.
http://www.vansinvent.com/

I noted that that ParmaPSE 02 Proton body is for gas touring so the front will be a bit wide on a wide pan car.

That F1 body is another option for the pan car that has not been discussed yet.

TallyRC-what motor and battery do you guys race with?

Paragon Traction action vs Corally Jack the gripper on a Sugar Watered track
Track was still high grip today. I did an experiment with Paragon Traction Action vs Jack the Gripper. Jack the gripper made the tires really hook up and makes the car really fast, but causes accelerated tire wear under these conditions (sugar water treatement). I get lots of rubber up under the body and on the chassis. The Paragon makes the foams less soft so it reduces the wear. No rubber bits visible. The car slides a little more, but many racers prefer this feel. Forward traction was good with both products on the sugar, slightly better with jack the gripper. I probably am a little faster with Jack the Gripper. I notice Stormer has Corally Jack the Gripper listed (but out of stock) and has Corally pinions in stock. Both pinion and Jack the Gripper are also availabel direct from CorallyUSA.com (pronounced Co Rally I hear)

On a nontreated track there is no contest. Jack the Gripper works better. It gives you more grip.

I do notice that when the foams are really hooked up, that I get the same wear pattern on the surface of the foam that I do with rubber tires when they are really hooked up, tiny ripples lined up along the circumference of the tire. These are especially evident when you wet the tires down with traction compound.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-29-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:34 PM   #456
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Corally CCT Test Update

Ran my Corally CCT at local track. Outdoor asphalt, temp 78deg. Tried Lola protoform body again, after a suggestion of checking the firmness of bodyposts. Used the stick corally body posts. What? The car was ballistic. It ran so well with the Lola type body that I could not belive it. I had better traction than with anything I had tried before. First times I ran the car with Lola body it was a disaster. It rattled like a snake, and car was just not performing(used Speedmerchant SpeedSpec). Now the Lola body with Corally CCT...it was what I was waiting to see for a while. No traction compund needed. Track was a littly dusty, but still had decent traction. Now I will try CCT with different battery configuration. Instead of running it down the center, I will run it side to side, on the rear and see what happens. Very impressed and happy with lola body and CCT combo...can anyone explain why?
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:47 PM   #457
Tech Elite

oodles of downforce, that i why it works well. i run the yokomo lola body.. basically the same as your protoform without the ugly shock tower bumps the protoform has up front... i cut it rediculously low to "slam" it. it works great, but i guess i need to save it since it is no longer available... i'm tempted to get one of the vansinvent F1 fighter bodies just for fun..

john we are going to run a 19 turn class, open battery (no lipos) since we have a pretty small track.. roughly 100'x60' but it is fresh asphalt so the traction is good if we blow it off real well. we can't use sugar water since it is a temporary track space we lease from parks and rec... i'll fire off some photos next race... we usually setup a mildy technical track, but next season i imagine we will go with a more flowing design to suit the pan cars..

Old 10-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #458
Tech Elite

Default Team Magic GTP 200mm body

Nice GTP/lola type 200mm body from Team Magic. Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Magic-Pre-P...QQcmdZViewItem.

Its another nice option from the regular LoLa protoform bodies.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #459
Tech Elite

Default More tests

Ran the CCT again today. This time ran using Jaco white rears, with no tire compound, and purple fronts. Used Lola body again, and it worked wonderfully. Car was very stable and very fast. COuld really push it comming out of the main sweeper into the straight, and it hooked up really nice. Only issue was that car had a bit of understeer comming into corners. Also tried running the CCT with the Lipo side ways, parallel to rear axle, towards rear, strapped down with tape, vs. the regular centerline set-up. Liked the centerline set up better. It seems to give the car quicker L/R transition and stability over bumps. Looking to try a softer front tire to fix understeer in corner entry. Anyone know whats the next softer tire in the Jaco line after the purple ones? Magentas? Aqua?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:28 PM   #460
Tech Elite

Try Magenta's. I saw that team magic body on a Team Magic Nitro car at our track with a much better factory paint job (RTR). It looked really good. There is a tire rating chart in a picture on the first post of the thread.

With 19 turns 6 cell you might start to see more advantage with the wide car.
John
Old 10-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #461
Tech Elite

Thanks John. Looked them up in Jaco website, and aparantly, the next softer tire after purple is pink, which are rated med-soft, low wear. By the way John, have you tried the Lola bodies? At first, when I tested them with the Speedspec, it was disatrous. Car rattled and seemed unstable at high speeds. But I received a tip from the oval thread and PRO-TEN Holland, and that I should try the LOLA again, but this time to change body posts to strong firmer ones like the HPI ones. OK, so I made the change, and wow! Now the Lola body lives up to the hype. It really gives the car the handling and speed its claimed to have. Also, the CCT can accomodate the LIPO fitting sideways, parallel to rear axle. Can the Pantoura also be set up this way? If so, maybe you should give it a shot and see how car reacts and report your learned findings we all enjoy.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #462
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I had to order parts for my Carpet Knife today and almost bought a Pantoura... Can't do it right now especially since my only reason would be so I don't have to use saddle packs...
Old 10-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #463
Tech Elite

I put that same body post tip on this thread in my last setup. I am using Traxas T-max body posts on my wide car. They are thicker all the way up. It's better. I don't have a narrow car at the moment to put the lola body on. I like the way my pack sits. Weight balance is perfect front to back for high speed stability on the straight. I might be reaching 65 mph now. Weight is also perfect side to side and on corner weights.

VTL1180NY- Almost

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-30-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:46 PM   #464
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
I put that same body post tip on this thread in my last setup. I am using Traxas T-max body posts on my wide car. They are thicker all the way up. It's better....
Almost

John
The HPI/Traxxas body posts are very good. But even the regular ones for TC or stock Pantoura should do fine with a TC body like Mazda 6, Stratus 3.0, etc. When I first ran the SpeedSpec pan car a month ago, the car rattled, especially in high speed. I thought it was the body thikness, maybe too thin or cheap material, although its a pro-line/protoform body. Sawpped out the Lola body, still using the stock Speedspec body posts, but swapped the Lola for the trusty Mazda 6 TC body, and no more rattling noises. Car was smooth and driveable. This tells me that the TC bodies work well with pan cars, even if using the stock body posts. THen I tried replacing those SpeedSpec stock bodyposts for something beefier, and tried T-Maxx and HPI, and then the Lola body. THis combo works great. The Corally CCT stock body posts, however, when run with Lola body, work just as good as the beefy T-MAXX or HPI's. This tells us the Corally CCT stock body posts are very strong and can work just as well with TC and super high downforce LOLA and GTP type bodies.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #465
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
...I might be reaching 65 mph now. Weight is also perfect side to side and on corner weights.

Almost

John
Wow! THat's really impressive John. Keep up the good work. Right now, I running a 120 spur and 17t pinion, 64P. Ratio is a bit over 7.0. You recommended earlier in the forum to run around between 6.4 and 6.5...has this changed?