R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2006, 09:12 PM   #436
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

where do you get the added 45mm of rear track from? i must have missed that part.. the pantoura was 190mm. i'm curious to see what marty comes up with for a front end. i know how i'd do it, and fun to see what others might come up with.. i need to buy a stinking mill...

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #437
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

TallyRC-I have widened my rear pod with a wide pan axle, long left hub and right hub and made up the rest with two custom spacers. I use an extended pinion as does Pro-ten Holland. I also have an Associated RC10L3T pod top plate to better fit the add-on 3 shock setup. Pics back in the thread. If you don't go this narrow rear pod route, you will also need a new top and bottom plate that will make a wide rear pod. You will still need a wide pan rear axle and right hand hub, but should be able to use normal pinions and your stock left hub.

Here is a link to the pic of my current back end under the Protoform Peugeot 905 B body on page 7 of this thread.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=172412

Note the parts he discussed with you to widen an 10L3T to 10L2 with a tripple shock setup are under development.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-27-2006 at 10:29 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #438
Tech Elite

Track treated with Sugar Water and clean.

Oh my Gawd!!!! The widened Pantoura was really fast today.

Improvements from the Recent Modifications

Long Travel Murdoch Front suspension Track Report
Pic up above. I have steering traction on the sweeper with a wide body now. The improvement must be that the outer spring are not bottoming because of the long travel Murdoch Racing front suspension. I am using purple front tires. Traction and wear are both excellent. When I ran the Peugeot body I lacked steering on the sweeper as well. Probably bottomed the spring with it as well.

I have better directional control on the straight. I passed an 1/8 scale 2wd Serpent at the end of the straight by inches, but very clean with good control. I made passes of 4wd Nitro sedans on the sweeper with good control.

I highly recommend this mod for a rough track until something better shows up. I still leave the ground with the front wheels some on the straght but not as much. My new chassis will allow me to use more front ride height. The setup was perfect with the progressive Silver Springs. You would need to get these some small red spring buckets and large thin blue spring buckets and the long kingpins and some spacers to complete this mod. I used my stock steering blocks with trailing front axles.
The front end seemed well damped to me. I can tell when it's bouncy by observing the body and wheels. I still think side and center shocks would do the trick.

Servo Flat Mod Track Report
Pic up above. When I put the car back on the track now the steering trim is set dead on. This is the first time this has happened. Ackerman and bumpsteer are both excellent. The car steered as good or better than it ever has. I recommend this mod, and if I were building a new pan car I would raise the steering arms up on the steering block and mount the servo flat. I have a smaller servo saver coming that should reduce my spacer stack on the outside steering ballstud a bit.

Nothing could touch the pan car today. The fast touring car was taking the short cut on the track several times during a pack and I could still pass it while running the full track. Can you say "blow the doors off of it".

I could use 100% brakes on the two hairpins near the drivers stand. This is especially rewarding as it feels more like you are driving a full size car. Note that brushless motors have about 1/2 the brakes of a brushed motor.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-28-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #439
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
Marty, you didn't pay the full price for a rebadged Futaba Micro Heli Gyro, did ya????
Sure I did do you think I would have got a deal.

Selling HPI F10 Front Knuckles and Complete Rear Axles W/Diffs Ball and Gear.
W/12mm TC Hubs & W/14mm F1 Hubs Good for std bearing Pans cars. STD Bearings!
eBay item number: 200947192161,200947193175,200947187493
Marty Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #440
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Peterson
Sure I did do you think I would have got a deal.
I sure hope so... The Dbox is nothiong but a Heli Gyro...
Old 10-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #441
Tech Master

Yep I found that out from Jonn and well once you buy it its yours right

It did work I must say it helped keep the rear under the car. with the counter steer I could do it by hand without but not every lap and that over priced little box did after I spent a day or two getting it right

Old 10-28-2006, 07:24 PM   #442
Tech Master

I my self would like to see someone come up with a traction aid not so much for racing but to see just how far someone can push the edge of R/C!

Old 10-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #443
Tech Elite

I use the Nomadio Sensor and in the next few years with their technology we could probably rival F1... I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing... Spektrum already offers the pitman... I also have the Eagle Tree recorder which is great to download to your computer and see what you were doing on the track...

I was contemplating putting a gyro in one of my pan cars for asphault friendliness....
Old 10-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #444
Tech Master

Well like you said a Heli Gyro is about 1/2 the price check it out its kind fun and I keep telling everyone we need this stuff for my F1 cars to make them real real Fast! LOL Think about it Steering assist Traction aid Intel download Brushless Lipos can you say Hi End Techno stuff I for one would love it!

Old 10-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #445
Tech Master

I can see it Now Show up with a laptop tune in your electronics and go out and set a lap down that would make people

Old 10-28-2006, 08:44 PM   #446
Tech Elite

"John, I come from the same simplicity school.... Once you start adding front shocks you start adding complexity. Not, that it's a bad thing it's just adding more to do..."

OK I have to draw the line. I have to keep my pan car simple, but you guys are advocating, gyros, traction control, yaw control, antilock brakes a trackside laptop. Personally I think Full size Formula 1 should get rid of this stuff before it dies. TV ratings and crowds are dropping. Nascar is booming. Driver against Driver (subtle suspension adjustments of antique although well developed suspensions, carburetors) rather than computer against computer. As long as cars are similarly matched the racing will be exciting. It also helps if the cars don't fly. Don't you know that if the F1 rules allowed it the computer in the pit would actually drive the car.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-28-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #447
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan
"John, I come from the same simplicity school.... Once you start adding front shocks you start adding complexity. Not, that it's a bad thing it's just adding more to do..."

OK I have to draw the line. I have to keep my pan car simple, but you guys are advocating, gyros, traction control, yaw control, antilock brakes a trackside laptop. Personally I think Full size Formula 1 should get rid of this stuff before it dies. TV ratings and crowds are dropping. Nascar is booming. Driver against Driver (subtle suspension adjustments of antique suspensions, carburetors) rather than computer against computer. As long as cars are similarly matched the racing will be exciting. It also helps if the cars don't fly. Don't you know that if the F1 rules allowed it the computer in the pit would actually drive the car.
Hahahaha.... We're just dreaming.... Although I do like gadgets.... I'm the only one I know using the Nomadio...

Although, I may get one of Marty's F1's for bashing (no class and never will be...) in that I'd put all the gadgets in and just have a ball....

-Allan
Old 10-28-2006, 09:08 PM   #448
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Note the parts he discussed with you to widen an 10L3T to 10L2 with a tripple shock setup are under development.
so if doug makes his conversion, i'll need my pod a wide axle and right hub.. that's it right? some spacers maybe?

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #449
Tech Master

I knew that would get something going Look I am from the old school of racing I did a lot of it back in the day. and you can ask anyone I have always said give F1 back the tires from before 1993 the downforce as well and take all of the high end gadgets of the cars but keep the electronic shift and lets see who is on top at the end of the year M.S. came in at the end of it and right in to the techno stuff.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:43 PM   #450
Tech Elite

TallyRC-yes. I think that's it. Maybe some little stuff like new body posts and body, front 10L bumper if you use one, 10L nerf wings if you use them. Front 10L2 cross brace if you use one. I think his kit will have a 3 shock top plate. If you have a different type of rear setup you may need to get an Associated wide pod top plate or upgrade to the team edition specs with 3 shocks.

I don't mind this high tech stuff for beginners in practice, but it probably should be dissallowed for racing. Just a note. My antique M8 radio has traction control in effect. Tinker with the Speed function (this is way different than negative exponential). On a very slippery off-road track I could get my 2-wheel-drive truck to pull the front wheels on the start using this function. Lap times were not improved, however, as it slows you down on parts of the track where you have more traction (the ramps of jumps). It could be used by a beginning pan car driver to limit the spinouts that may occur if you are used to touring car type of forward traction.
What this speed function does is "rolls on the throttle" at an adjustable rate.

Last edited by John Stranahan; 10-28-2006 at 10:17 PM.