R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #2056
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

I am using RC18T shocks on the front end. I use fairly heavy center shock springs that I cut down to 3.5 coils because of the geometry. Thats what that velodrome car probably needed was front shocks. I am sure the rear was well dampened.

Thanks for the nice pic.
John
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #2057
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to elvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
Most oval guys and 1/10 wide pan car guys cutout the back of their bodies to have better down force. I had done a small test in a windtunnel with a wide pan that showed air actually entering the body just under the wing. This showed on the little propeller type of wind meter. The guys went to the nats with most of the rear body in place. They received tuning advice to remove it. The tuner swore he could see the car with the back end lower in the corner. The guys swore they noticed an improvement. Do I think he actually saw a superstock powered car rise up less. Well I doubt it. But the drivers thoughts are hard to ignore.

The fact that air enters the body under the wing doesn't imply the cut-out-the-entire-rear-end-because-it-gives-more-downforce-theory is invalid. Lower air pressure under the body = more downforce. Where air enters and comes out, isn't relevant.

From the (limited) experience I have with 1/8 gas on-road, I know the cutout of the rear end makes a big difference in handling. There's the size of the cutout (more=more downforce), but also the size and shape of the side flaps behind the rear wheels. They're like rudders.
elvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #2058
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

does every house in japan have a cnc mill? are they just built into the kitchen counters like we have cuisinarts? seems like folks are always making their own parts and conversions over there.. i need to just break down and buy a mini mill..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 PM   #2059
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Elvo-Thanks. There is nothing better than hard evidence from the track. I also did experiements with my wide pan car. I did not notice the car get any tighter when I cut out the back. One turn was entered at 53 mph. I do cutout the bumper now on the oval car. So I am half way convinced but not fully convinced. Air going in spoils vacuum. If the car is tighter you have more rear downforce.

That is very nice CNC work and it is anodized as well. I think maybe it was done at work and not at home. All he needs is some front shocks.

Gentlemen please continue our discussion here so that I will not appear to frequently placed on the topics page.

This is a CRC oval car and road car thread very similar to this one continued.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=222869
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #2060
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I am using RC18T shocks on the front end. I use fairly heavy center shock springs that I cut down to 3.5 coils because of the geometry. Thats what that velodrome car probably needed was front shocks. I am sure the rear was well dampened.

Thanks for the nice pic.
John
Thx, I'm gonna try to get some and be thinking of makin an own front end (I've got an idea )
Old 09-21-2008, 06:50 AM   #2061
Tech Master

Im woundering, can some one tell me if this is a 235mm car ? The seller wasnt 100%, he thoght it is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29
Old 09-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #2062
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Seems to me this isnīt the road but the oval version. So it should be 200mm.
But a little too pricey anyway in my opinion.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #2063
Tech Master

Ok, that dont sounds so good.. BUT what do we base this on? the side pics that shows the oval chassi with out a lid.?

I have asked for more Pics of the Box and Part number
Old 09-21-2008, 10:17 AM   #2064
V12
Tech Elite

Of course part number should clear things up.
But the lower picture showing the kit from the side says.....oval racer.
It seems to me this is the same RC10L20 kit what shows up in Ebay since month.
Early this year I nearly bought such a kit, until it showed up itīs not the 235mm road version. Maybe itīs really the same.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #2065
V12
Tech Elite

By the way, just seing youīre from Sweden.
I think Team Laje is also Sweden based and they make an interesting 235mm Pro10 car also. Looks like a RC10L2 with tripple shock setup and Trinity front suspension.
Maybe you should contact them.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #2066
Tech Master

Hi..it was the oval.... it stands right in front of me in the Auction #8016 IS the oval..

The #8015 is the famous 235 car...

Well well...doesnt mather now, ive just sold of tons of cars that will finance my new CRC Pro10 ordering will be done tomorow.

PS, to bad Laje has stop the manufacturing of their Pro10 what i know it is not on their site anymore.. and it was "only" a 200mm car.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #2067
V12
Tech Elite

Hmm, the Team Laje Pro10 was just a 200mm car? Well, I have pictures somewhere but just canīt find them at the moment.

Regarding Team Laje just visited their website again. Do you know anything on their Dominion BL ESC? Never heard before.

Regarding the new CRC Pro10 car when going 235mm wide I hope you are running 4 cell or just mild modifieds with 6 cell or Lipo. We found the narrow powerpod isnīt the right thing for high RPM motors, too much vibrations then. A wide rear pod as with the RC10L2 is still the way to go for 235mm cars.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #2068
Tech Master

V12 if i contact IRS and buy theirs IRS2135 the Wide axle kit (one whole axle)wouldnt that be the trick ?

3rd from bottom in Axle section

http://www.teamirsrc.com/axles.html

EDIT no i did see what ya men, the Motor-pod...Hmm...i have a lot of carbonfibre here..maybe i can talk to someone that make me some "wider stuff? or do you have any other tip?

EDIT - 2 If imnot misstaken Powelracing components do some parts for the cars...if im not wrong, topplate and bottom (wide) maybe they can help me. ? can they just "copy" the bottom/top podplates ? but wider ?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #2069
Tech Master

Quote:
I got some more information from Doug Powell of Doug Powell Racing Components and a Pic of the Wide Pantoura conversion parts. These are available with a request by e-mail. e-mail Addy below.

Wide Pan Conversion for the Pantoura
New graphite chassis, bottom and top pod plates available.
"The top pod plate is one that I offer for the 10L2 to convert to a tri-shock setup."
DougPowellRacingComponents. com
[email protected]
Can i use my new Gen-X parts on this one John? if so, i think il get a kit like this insted of the CRC widehubs...
Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 AM   #2070
V12
Tech Elite

The parts from Doug (including a special chassis) are what I used for building a wide Pantoura and that works very good. But the lower pod plate looks different on the Gen X-10, maybe you could make this fit also but Iīm not sure. Also the motorplate and left sideplate are different.
A friend of mine converted his Gen X-10 to 235mm by making new graphite parts for the powerpod and using different podplates. Also a complete wide IRS diff and the CRC adapters for the front were used.
A wide pod as used with the RC10L2 is supporting the axle much better and the only real working solution.
As I said before for 4 cell this isnīt necessary but for 6cell/Lipo highpower motors the original pod is flexing and the rear axle is vibrating too much.

If so I still would choose the Pantoura wide graphite parts from PRC and buying the other parts from shops like Stormer, Atomic and Lefthander. If youīre a little experienced itīs not very complicated. The only problem maybe the IRS diff as itīs not that easy to get hold off.