R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #1816

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now your track seems up to it, I'm very interested to hear what a classic pan car can do!
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #1817
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

Speaking of classic Pan Cars. Here is a pic of the rebuilt RC10L2O (post LiPo fire) converted to road duty. Front width is 212 mm. Rear width is 220 mm. I was able to salvage all the electronics except the receiver. The servo needed a new lead soldered on the inside of the case. That was kind of a ticklish job. It seems to work on the bench as does the GTB with new fan and wire harness. I had stripped one of my return GTB's to save a spare set of these parts which they always replace. I'll get some speeds on the straight and if lucky some lap times.

My custom pan was as fast as a 1/8 scale spec class on the straight today. I have picked up a mph or two from the more level straight and better traction since the last test. I was able to lower the front to 5 mm. I ran short rear tires and ran the front tires almost to the plastic.

Here is the outside (sweeper) front tire off the custom pan. It has never been trued just worn flat by adjusting camber. I think I can run at least a main with it.

Jim - I noticed the previous complete picture of the RC10L2O that you donated in this thread became a very popular viewed picture with 750 downloads. OK maybe the fire had a little to do with it. That fire pic went over 1300 dowloads. Thanks again. Test to come.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-rc10l2o-post-fire-resized.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-grp-tire-thin-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 09-24-2007 at 12:05 AM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #1818

That's the diameter at which these cars are fastest.
I have even seen top racers (germans of course) true tires down out of the box to that size.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:02 PM   #1819
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
I ran short rear tires and ran the front tires almost to the plastic. Here is the outside (sweeper) front tire off the custom pan. It has never been trued just worn flat by adjusting camber. I think I can run at least a main with it.
I'm having some serious wear issues w/ my front pan car tires.. For some reason they have worn out up front to almost 2mm of tire left in just about 6 packs! The rear tires have at least 6 packs left and are about half way down...something on my set up has to be wrong- the track is a bit abraisive, but its never been this bad. The narrow pan car never wore the fronts this badly. They are wearing flat, but, maybe too much ackermann or something...I have to figure out what's going on here...any suggestions?
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:04 PM   #1820
Tech Elite

Check the toe. I run 0 toe.

Set the camber so that the tires wear even. Left and right sides don't have to be the same. Rotate the fronts side to side every two packs.

Has the track recently been resealed with sand containing sealer. Expect higher wear for a few months. Also expect ballistic performance. Eventually, in a few months, traction and wear will be reduced. My track experimented with the amount of sand over the last two years and has struck a balance between wear and traction favoring good traction and medium wear. Wear is always reduced after a few months of use.

You could try a harder than purple front and harder than pink rear tire. I have done this myself on a freshly sugar watered track. I find that, for example, wear is reduced with a Magenta rear, but cornering and forward traction are also reduced. I live with the wear and fast lap times.
John
Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 PM   #1821

swap left and right tires every run so they stay at equal diameter.
If your right front tire is smaller than the left, the car will understeer more in left turns, making the right front tire wear even more.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #1822
Tech Elite

Track Tests
Track Temp 110F. This is after our first cold front.
I got a very brief run with my custom wide pan car in Thurdsay followed by 4 good runs today. The track has seasoned a little bit since resurfacing a few weeks ago. Tire wear is not as bad nor is traction quite as good. It is a good balance for the Majority of the Nitro cars that use our track.

Thursday I was prepared to do a Radar speed test on the new surface which is a bit less bumpy. Just before my run a squall was blowing in. A hard blow from the squall deposited a wheelbarrow full of pine needles and leaves on the freshly blown off track. I ran four laps with the pan and gave up because of the squirely performance on the leaves. I still registered 53 mph. This is 4 mph better than my previous posting on this matter. I think this was my normal race speed though. The previous time the track was quite slippery but had no leaves.

Then it rained.

I plan to test again Monday. I am almost sure I am running about 55 now by comparing speeds with the gas cars. Note that the touring car speed would still be about 48 as it is not traction limited.

I got four good runs in today and took the oportunity to test 3 different rear tires that I had on hand. GRP Pink was the best. I tried also JACO pink and GRP grey. These latter two tires just did not keep the rear end planted on power.

I am using GRP purple fronts. I tried rotating every heat, but I found that this ruins about 3 laps in the next heat as the tire scrubs itself in to the new location. I prefer rotation less often to avoid this.

Monday weather permitting, I will have good traction from a big race this weekend. I plan to radar my custom pan car and test the RC10L20.

John
Old 09-28-2007, 11:58 PM   #1823
Tech Regular

John,

I experimented building my own pan car tire using used 35 shore 1/8 tires. I was very surprised with the traction amount and its wear resistance.

As my jaco tires worn out after 5 hard laps with Novak 4.5 motor, the 1/8 tires last far longer. My lap time really improved.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:40 AM   #1824
CSB
Tech Initiate

Very creative. Have you measured shock travel? How does the three link and shock'ed front end compare to a standard car in terms of weight?
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #1825
Tech Elite

Azmio-do you cut a foam donut off that 1/8 scale tire?

CSB-43.2 oz is the weight of the car today. 1 ounce is probably extra body reinforcements I add. I do run a LiPo stick pack, though. The front end adds 1.8 ounces to a stock pan car. The rear weighs more than a stock rear. This is beneficial weight as it improves lap times. I also run a .7 ounce RPM for Traxxas bumper. This can be removed.

I have 6.5 mm of suspension travel on the front and 10 mm of travel on the back. Shock travel on the front is minimal but very effective in preventing blowovers and increasing cornering grip. Shock travel on the back is the same as suspension travel as they are almost vertical.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 09-29-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #1826
Tech Regular

John

I soaked the 1/8 wheel in acetone for few hours. After few hours, wear rubber gloves and push the wheel out of the donut. Apply shoe glue on top of a used pan car wheel with about 1-2 mm foam left and slide the 1/8 foam on it. Give it a try and you will be surprised.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #1827
Tech Adept

Not sure if you guys know about this kit, but spotted it on Hyperdrives website. Blimmin expensive, and no specs.. but looks like a 10th pan to me. Great thread!
http://www.hyperdriveracing.com/10scale/4500.cfm
Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #1828
Tech Elite

Thanks.
I have a Hyperdrive car in my first post. Here is a link.
http://rc4less.safeshopper.com/17/97.htm?729

I added your link there as this one is pure road car. They make some nice looking kits. I don't know how wide that car is. If anyone knows please make a post. Here is the same link repeated for convenience.

http://www.hyperdriveracing.com/10scale/4500.cfm
Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #1829
Tech Apprentice

The hyperdrive car is indeed very expensive.

I think that if pan cars are going to make a comeback they shoul be an alternative to TC cars. By alternive I mean cheaper, for example, there should be chassis basic kits for under 100, and pro chassis kits for 200-300.

I see in some forums that there are some people tired of TC, people want something different in electric on road 1/10, and pan cars are a great alternative if soeone made them.

People also have to decide if they are going to be 190 touring body or 230 prototype body.
pepecueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #1830
Tech Elite

I might as well state my opinion as well. A new market for pan cars is not going to happen unless they update the cars to remove some of the ill traits. They need more rear traction to work on asphalt. They need a damped front suspension to prevent blowovers on a not so smooth track. They need to work at a variety of tracks instead of just smooth high grip. Setup is not so critical with a better suspension. My prototype is a step in this direction. Superior performance is what might sell these cars.
john