R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #1726
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Yohan's Pro Max 10 Pics

Here are some pics...some might be fuzzy...maybe its something on the camera...it seems that it doesnt take up-close pics too well...I'll have to keep playing w/ it and see if I get better pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-promax1.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-promax2.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-promax4.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-promax5.jpg  
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #1727
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Stranahan

yyhayim-Nice. Nice looking red hardware. Whose battery strap are you using. (Look for a closup setting (flower))

Nagtahawk-Good luck with your speed car. I think if the car is running on a dragstrip that 4 wheel drive on a heavy chassis would be an advantage. Nick's Shumacher Fusion that claimed the record is a 1/10 scale 200 mm Nitro chassis that is supposed to run 80 mph stock with a 3 speed tranny. I would add front diffusers.

SWtour. Thanks for the video. I noticed one black car suddenly leave the race line at the end of the far straight, before it was really cornering hard. Looks suspiciously just like a blowover. The front end gets light, the front end lifts, the steep banking masks the actual event a little as the car stays at ground level but the road is actually increasing in elevation for the car masking the flight. I did not see any pieces fly off to cause the incident. It seems to me that there is no particular advantage to that body since the lightness tends to happen at the same speed for my wide body. Front diffusers helped me.

Spektrum Telemetry
A couple of new notes. I have the system working now; it was a bit of a problem. The Telemetry system only works with the old large size receivers. I believe the old Receiver's part number is 3000. Fortunately I had two of these, but I was planning to use telemetry on a Pro Receiver. It did not work. The pro receiver is missing the circuits that interface with the Telemetry system.

I also noticed that Spektrum offers a new water and fuel proof Pro receiver now. That would be nice as a little water on our track will shut mine down.

The traction on our track has been severely reduced by rolling it with the heavy roller. It did little to reduce bumps, but did removed most of the microtexture that the foam tires need for good traction. I'll have to wait a while for new sealer before I get traction again. I have huge run times and poor traction out of the slow corners now. I can develop decent speed on the straight after a couple of weeks of seasoning. The rest of the track is still very slick.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-05-2007 at 09:07 PM.
John Stranahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #1728
Tech Regular

John,
re the video at the velo:
the car suddenly going up the bank has happened to me. with out a slow motion video close up on the car, we can only speculate. when running in a pack there is a lot of wind buffeting. from the cars. this can lift a car causing the loss of traction.

I think my problem was a weak rear wing strut design, the wing was bending down and or fluttering causing lift. I can speculate this because of the way the car stepped sideways rather than turn nose up the wall.

I have turn marshalled the corners and have not see any cars frisbee on the banks. the front end blow over at the velo is usually caused by hitting the expansionsion strips, which can be decomposing creating a gap. this usually happens on the straigts. Iv'e used a front defuser on smoother tracks with success. However at Ecino the diffuser would be knocked off. I think I tried this once upon a time here. this is not a smooth track.
nagatahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #1729
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stranahan View Post
yyhayim-Nice. Nice looking red hardware. Whose battery strap are you using. (Look for a closup setting (flower))
Thanks John...the red pieces are from CRC...they really make some nice stuff and the red makes my car stand out a bit from the common silver/blue.

About the battery strap: I have the CRC pantoura rear brace as you suggested, but inverted, so that shocks are aligned a bit forward at their outer location, and at the same time gives me some clearence below them, so I can use the hole on the CRC brace which used to be for the left side springs. In that hole, I mounted a ball stud, and in front of the Lipo pack, a stand-off post. I put a washer on top of the stand off and used a "scrunchy" to strap down the battery and prevent it from popping out. Its a temporary fix in this case. What I want to really do is use the Pro Max rear brace that came with the kit. I'll attach it to the rear brace on the hole where the ballstud is, and use the stand off at the front of the battery...length is good and it'll look nice and effective.

weight issues: w/ the Orion 4800mah pack on the left side, I am having some weight balance issues. the pack weighs 257g, and my electronics (ESC and receiver) weigh 88g on the right side, plus some of the weigh from the motor and offset servo...I'll have to add some weight to the right side, or use a 3200 pack. Or, order a MaxAmps saddle pack...but i dont know how well Max Amps lipo's work and would like to know if you recommend them or have other suggestions...

Front end: The CRC Gen X front end looks to be a bit of an improvement compared to the "old" dynamic AE front end. I have asked around, and now Mathijs has reported that in Germany many of his fellow racers are using it on their pan cars and it works great. Supposedly this new Gen X front end gives you better/easier tuning and set-up changes. Maybe its worth a shot...
Old 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #1730
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

does the gen-x front end not yield a more narrow front end?

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #1731
Tech Elite

Nagatahawk. Thanks for the discussion. At the dragstrip my car did not like the rough expansion joints either. It would have a blowover when it encountered one. I would like to see the slow motion video as well, but in its absence I can speculate that if my car became airborne just before a steep bank, the wreck would look just like the video. Almost no change in direction (or yaw angle) of the car.
I agree the buffeting is a problem. This is probably responsible for the Full Size GTP cars going airborne in the videos we posted earlier. In Formula One they are experimenting with a split rear wing. Basically the same wing with a gap in the middle. This creates twin vortices that blow air down in the middle of the cars wake. The theory is: not to disturb the front downforce of the car behind. Additionally they are doing wind tunnel work now with the cars a several yaw angles to the wind to better understand what happens as the car manouvers around traffic.

I noticed one full size IRL (open wheel Indi style cars) car go airborne this weekend on the TV. It was at a slight yaw angle which created lift and up it went at 200 mph. The video did not show if there was contact or just a manouver that caused the blowover. Pretty exciting video. The guy walked away from it.

yyhayyim-MaxAmp Batteries perform better in my tests than Orion Batteries. I would get a 4000 mA-h pack and then weights will be perfect side to side. See my photo of the same car with this battery installed in it just a few pages back. Heck I might even skim through the last 20 -30 pages if I were you. I use big red titles for a lot of the topics to make this a fast process. Thanks for the battery strap info. I am still looking for a good method. It needs to have good lateral support as well. This is why I am still using some tape. On the Tally's PRC MAX 10 I am using double sided servo tape under the battery.

Very Good News: Track Sealing
They have started sealing the track. Two layers. One filler layer with some sand to fill in the gaps, followed by a final topcoat of the sealer with about 4 lbs of sand per gallon of sealer. Some finished sections with sand looked very nice. The pan cars will be ballistic.

John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-06-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #1732
Tech Elite

John I think you are referring to Dario Franchiti's aerial maneuver. He was turned side ways by another car. video is on the front page of msn or msnbc's site currently.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #1733
Tech Elite

Yes that would be the one. Heres the link to the crash video. He was a little more sideways than I thought.

Now that I could study the video, it did not lift until the back was facing the front just a bit. A body with downforce while running forward has lift going backwards. That's one of the purposes of Gurney flaps on the stock cars: to kill this lift when they go backwards.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #1734
Tech Elite

Just to note that the lack of activity here is due to work being done on our track. It will be closed until next Thursday. There is a lot of filling, smoothing and resurfacing being done. It should be in really good shape for the Nitro Nationals. Should be a good track to test Tally's car again. Patience Please.

Spectrum Telemetry.
Interestingly the Spectrum Telemtry Lap timing unit does not work with the new tiny Pro Receiver part #SR 3500. You must use the old larger receiver #SR 3000 or buy one of the new Pro receivers that are waterproof and fuelproof. Part #SR 3001. I have one of these coming. I like the waterproof part as a small puddle will shut my old receiver down.

I have aquired finally the LRP Sphere Pro Comp TC edition with 3.5 motor. Eventually they will find their way into the pan car. In the meantime I plan to torture it with a TC5 on a 140F track and see how it does. New thread on the TC5. I will continue this thread as the Pan car will probably be the one I race against he Nitros.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-lrp-pro-comp-x11-3.5-reflection-resized-tight.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-10-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 AM   #1735
Tech Elite

did the track get sealed?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #1736
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc View Post
did the track get sealed?
John posted on his new TC5 thread that the track was re-opened for thrusday, and that he'd be doing some testing yesterday, but due to the tropical storm hitting the Gulf area it has been raining very hard and he had to postpone the tests
Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #1737
Tech Elite

I got to run about 1/2 pack on the pan car before we had a mini deluge today. Leftovers from the tropical storm I believe. Should be a better day tomorrow. I still plan to complete testing with the Max 10 to get some numbers and with the RC10L2O converted to wide pan to test that viscous disk. The forces of nature have been against us.

John
Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #1738
Tech Elite

I drove my PRO Max 10 wide pan car today for the first time...after 3 packs, the car was the fastest car I have ever had. Plenty of top end and even faster corner speed than my 200mm Pantoura. It was very stable and easy to drive at high speed, and had nice low speed handling. It was on mid corner and corner exit where it was slower due to the rear end getting loose when applying throttle( smoothly)...I remember my 200mm Pantoura being able to mid corner exit much faster...it seems my wide pan car looses some traction when getting on power mid corner exit...to deal w/ this pblm I had to baby it out, and that was the only area the 1/12 mod cars were faster...

Here is my current set up:

Tires: JACO rear Pink, Jaco front Purple / AE front w/ .20 springs

Shocks: side shocks: 20WT oil, w/ AE silver springs ; middle shock: 45WT oil w/ AE BLUE spring

Motor: Orion Vortex 3.5
ESC: Mamba Max

Body: McAllister N90, stock- no extra side dams or rear wing or spoilers.

Batt: Orion 3200
Old 08-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #1739
Tech Elite

try a higher downforce body on there.. can really help.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #1740
Tech Regular

I experienced the same problem with my wide pan car. it appeared that the rear end was a bit loose and it really increased my lap time. In comparison with my narrow pan, the rear end was always on rail.

I have tried many ways to solve this problem and to my surprise, body with lower downforce gives better lap time and almost no loose rear end. I had more understeer but the lap time was much better.
azmio is offline   Reply With Quote